• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Rebuilding runways that aren't "ours" seems to be the biggest financial nail in the coffin of VP in Hawaii. Funny to hear that ALL THE OTHER BASES likely have the same issue.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The issue is we have one usable runway, when you shut it down to work on the runway, you've effectively shutdown the entire East Coast VP Fleet.

Something completely lost on the BRAC commission who thought closing Cecil Field was somehow a "good" idea.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Rebuilding runways that aren't "ours" seems to be the biggest financial nail in the coffin of VP in Hawaii. Funny to hear that ALL THE OTHER BASES likely have the same issue.

It kind of supports my idea that P-3s are more like a virus. Wherever we go, we just ask for small things like a little ramp space and a small hangar area to work out of. Then we start asking for more space and bring in bigger parts and equipment. Then we start getting bolder and bounce in the pattern. Next, we conduct 24 h ops and act when it's most inconvenient to them. Finally, we bring in more aircraft to further the cycle. Total infestation. Bwahahahah.

MasterBates

P3s are a disease. BAMS is the cure?

I prefer this cure:
13738_the_cure.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It kind of supports my idea that P-3s are more like a virus. Wherever we go, we just ask for small things like a little ramp space and a small hangar area to work out of. Then we start asking for more space and bring in bigger parts and equipment. Then we start getting bolder and bounce in the pattern. Next, we conduct 24 h ops and act when it's most inconvenient to them. Finally, we bring in more aircraft to further the cycle. Total infestation. Bwahahahah.
You forgot knocking the arresting gear out of battery...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It's been awhile since I've been to Jax, but do they use the other runway at all? We always used 10-28 (I think that's what it was) but never the other one. Couldn't they use that one while they fix the main one, etc.? I'm sure this has already been considered.

The other runway (14/32) is 5980 full length. Unfortunately the last 300 feet are the intersection with the concrete portion of 10/28.
So, we are redoing that concrete portion first and having 10/28 (with displaced threshold) as 6000 feet usable for a couple of days a week so FRC and the VP folks can get birds in and out for phase inspections, etc.
Once we get that concrete portion done, we'll use 14/32 for the duration but the P-8 requires 8000 foot runways (TFR) as does the EA-6B (flying in and out of FRC). So the P-8's will need to remain at Cecil for the duration unless the TFR is lifted.
Because all the lighting is being redone, NAS Jax will be Day/VFR only for the duration.

We worked through about 15 different COAs to find a solution. There is no easy answer when we have only one runway.

As for the "why did we close Cecil" question, we are asking that question daily.... Of course, my office has a nice view of downtown Jax and the river, so I do have that going for me; which is nice!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The other runway (14/32) is 5980 full length. Unfortunately the last 300 feet are the intersection with the concrete portion of 10/28.
So, we are redoing that concrete portion first and having 10/28 (with displaced threshold) as 6000 feet usable for a couple of days a week so FRC and the VP folks can get birds in and out for phase inspections, etc.

So, 6000 usable. . .pretty much no impact on P-3 OPS. No flap and engine-out landing training will need to be done elsewhere, but everything else should be fair game, IIRC.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Not original but "Skyhawk" would be an apt name - and Douglas is now Boeing. Attack pukes everywhere will cringe at a MEL plane being call a Skyhawk, but the name would live on. Just sayin'.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Cripes, I'd figure with all the G squadrons they'd be done doing any rework of Prowers and have spares on the line at NUW.

Not sure when the Prowler goes away and I'm not sure if the Marine Prowlers go through Depot here.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cripes, I'd figure with all the G squadrons they'd be done doing any rework of Prowers and have spares on the line at NUW.

Not sure when the Prowler goes away and I'm not sure if the Marine Prowlers go through Depot here.

The last Navy Prowler left either earlier this year or late last year, the ones coming off the line now are all headed to Cherry Point (they all come from the same Depot).