• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Maybe it all has something to do with the fact that the runways at Jax are old as fuck and need some work anyway. I have landed and bounced a 250K E-6 there many times and the pavement somehow survived. I even did a RON there, fueling up to around 300K and we somehow didn't sink into the pavement. The 737 is NOT a heavy airplane at all, those runways are long overdue for some work.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does this mean whidbey will need new runways also when P8 arrives there too? :D

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it all has something to do with the fact that the runways at Jax are old as fuck and need some work anyway. I have landed and bounced a 250K E-6 there many times and the pavement somehow survived. I even did a RON there, fueling up to around 300K and we somehow didn't sink into the pavement. The 737 is NOT a heavy airplane at all, those runways are long overdue for some work.

Totally agree; the runways at Jax have needed to be redone for a long time. The issue is we have one usable runway, when you shut it down to work on the runway, you've effectively shutdown the entire East Coast VP fleet.
Fortunately we can use Cecil as "det space" for the 13 months it will take to replace the runway and rewire the new runway.

The introduction of the P-8 is what brought about the engineering studies that determined the runways need to be redone.
The original plan was to just resurface the runways and displace the VP folksf for about 8 weeks. Then the engineers did some concrete load bearing tests and make the determination the runways were beyond saving. The engineers predicted a 2014-2015 "catastrophic failure" of the runway at Jax if nothing is done.

Like I said, it's not a just one aircraft landing that's the problem, it's increasing the weight of all the tenant command aircraft that is hastening this project.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Does this mean whidbey will need new runways also when P8 arrives there too? :D

I haven't heard that Whidbey concrete numbers are a problem.
For the record, there's 18 inches of concrete at Whitehouse, so I recommend moving all the VP folks to Whitehouse but apparently there is only two heads and no cable TV out there....

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I haven't heard that Whidbey concrete numbers are a problem.
For the record, there's 18 inches of concrete at Whitehouse, so I recommend moving all the VP folks to Whitehouse but apparently there is only two heads and no cable TV out there....
It seems like there's an easier fix of the two: Re-do concrete or put another head and some cable in....

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Otto, NOLF Whitehouse is an FCLP runway with a tower and crash shack. There is zero infrastructure like hangars, taxiways, parking aprons, or fuel.
It was a sarcastic remark.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The entire project will last about 13 months so for the duration all fixed wing squadrons will base out of Cecil Field.

That's going to be fun when you get the bi-monthly clown jet circus in town on boat dets.

KBayDog

Fortunately we can use Cecil as "det space" for the 13 months it will take to replace the runway and rewire the new runway.

I'm sure they probably promised that it would be "On time and under budget."

235sw3sw3.gif

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's been awhile since I've been to Jax, but do they use the other runway at all? We always used 10-28 (I think that's what it was) but never the other one. Couldn't they use that one while they fix the main one, etc.? I'm sure this has already been considered.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Good to see a VP female that hasn't been issued the Mk1 Mod O Maritime hips....:D
Hozer - we will not tolerate that kind of sexist blasphemy on this board, do you hear me? Now . . . go do your mandatory SAPR training !!!