• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
India finalizing deal to buy P-8I Poseidon

On the heels of inking a deal to purchase US made C-130J Hercules, India has concluded months of negotiations to buy the Boeing P-8I Poseidon marking a shift to Western purchases after decades of using former Soviet Union aircraft (except for Sea Harriers).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the heels of inking a deal to purchase US made C-130J Hercules, India has concluded months of negotiations to buy the Boeing P-8I Poseidon marking a shift to Western purchases after decades of using former Soviet Union aircraft (except for Sea Harriers).

Unfortunately for the Indian military that is not a done deal yet, their bureauacracy is much worse than ours and often impedes or blocks deals from occurring. The saga to purchase advanced jet trainers lasted more than 20 years with several deals inked before they finally bought some Hawks recently. All the while their mishap rate got worse and worse.

So I would be surprised if that deal went through smoothly.

P.S. The Indians also fly Jaguars and Mirage 2000's and have an order for C-130J's.

clonei09

almost there

looks like the first plane is almost ready http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q2/080508c_pr.html

K64377-14_lg.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
What kind of criteria would the navy be looking for when selecting pilots to transition? Would they pick senior aviators or snag the new guys coming up? The reason I ask is that since I'm starting P-3 advanced now, I'd like to know the best way to get started early.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of criteria would the navy be looking for when selecting pilots to transition? Would they pick senior aviators or snag the new guys coming up? The reason I ask is that since I'm starting P-3 advanced now, I'd like to know the best way to get started early.

It's all about timing. If you are in the right squadron, then you could be selected for the transition. Ideally, if you knew which squadron was transitioning FIRST, then you could try to get into that squadron. Again, sometimes it just boils down to luck and timing.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Common sense would tell you that being a SH guy would help...but being an Fleet IP would be a must.

They HAVE to transition IP's first...

hscs

pilot
It's all about timing. If you are in the right squadron, then you could be selected for the transition. Ideally, if you knew which squadron was transitioning FIRST, then you could try to get into that squadron. Again, sometimes it just boils down to luck and timing.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Couldn't be more true -- take a lesson from the MH-60S transition -- in 2003, I thought I would be in a good place to be a CAG rep for the first HS squadron to transition in 2006, and in 2006, I thought I was going to be in a good place to be a DH in the first HS squadron to transition and move to Norfolk. None of that happened because the timeline slid, and the squadrons that were going to transition changed. It is all a crapshoot.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought the P-8 was supposed to have winglets? Like the civvie example behind its right wing in that pic. No?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Thought the P-8 was supposed to have winglets? Like the civvie example behind its right wing in that pic. No?

It does, just not vertical. They had deicing problems with the winglets so they flattened them out. You can see where they are by looking near the wing tip, where it rakes back at a more drastic angle, that's the winglet. The winglets do accomplish the same goal though I'm not sure how as I thought the whole point of a winglet was to be verticle and capture that spanwise flow of air. I'm no aero major though, someone smarter will have to explain it.

The P-8 has to be able to operate in icing that is worse than a 737 would ever face (or any other commercial airliner). If the sub is under a snow storm, we've gotta fly through that storm to operate.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
.. I thought the whole point of a winglet was to be verticle and capture that spanwise flow of air. I'm no aero major though, someone smarter will have to explain it.

It looks like the P-8 has a wingtip extension, not a winglet. They are both used for getting better wing lift-drag ratios by lowering induced drag, but go about it in different ways. Long story short, a winglet does it mainly by modifying the characteristic of the vortex (although the total strength has to remain the same, function of airplane weight), where a wingtip extension is basically just a wingspan extension (appropriately named huh?) to make the trailing vorticies downwash affect on the primary lifting area of the wing less severe. It's less effective than a winglet but has its own advantages, i.e. easier to build. But, I don't presume to know specifically why they went that route.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I think this is the first complete example. I dont know what the time frame is for IOC but I know that the current P-3s are struggling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartjunco/2675786654/sizes/o/

Looking at the antenna layout, it looks like someone did a pretty good job of thinking through the mission. Shouldn't experience much in the way of connectivity drops during turns. I'm still not sold on using turbofans at low altitude...but at least it will be a while before we see any wing cracks.

Anyone been in the P-8 sim yet? I saw the Boeing sim trailer when it was in Whidbey a couple of months ago, but didn't have the time to slide in.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
It looks like the P-8 has a wingtip extension, not a winglet. They are both used for getting better wing lift-drag ratios by lowering induced drag, but go about it in different ways. Long story short, a winglet does it mainly by modifying the characteristic of the vortex (although the total strength has to remain the same, function of airplane weight), where a wingtip extension is basically just a wingspan extension (appropriately named huh?) to make the trailing vorticies downwash affect on the primary lifting area of the wing less severe. It's less effective than a winglet but has its own advantages, i.e. easier to build. But, I don't presume to know specifically why they went that route.

Okay, you post like this again and I'll give you negative feedback.

We speak ENGLISH on this server, damnit!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Okay, you post like this again and I'll give you negative feedback.

We speak ENGLISH on this server, damnit!

Whew...for a second I'm thinking - "Man, I'm so screwed in flight school..."

:icon_mi_4

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot

Sorry guys, my bad. I'll simplify and translate. Basically, it's saying that I'll be accepting booze in return for assistance with Aero I and Aero II in API.