• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First all female Marine One flight

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I am WOMAN, hear me roar! Got it. They are equal. Got it. They can do the same job as men. Got it.

Check out the article in the New York Times today about lobbying for women to join light infantry units and other combat arms.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/us/16women.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig

Wonder what the other grunts think of this. I have a sneaking suspicion that like most modern journalism (if you can call it that), the whole story is not given equal footing IOT prop up their view.
Well, these Lionesses (funny story behind that name) actually are not doing the same job as us grunts, what they are doing is attaching to an infantry patrol as a public affairs element and gathering intel from a source that has been delivering some actionable intel, while operating within and respecting the local culture.

Now as to the question of women being allowed to join infantry units, the idea is most feasable when you employ it in the realm of Special Operations. Having a cadre of infantry trained female Marines, is of some value in the conflicts that we are fighting in today, and by keeping the community small and "elite" you don't have to worry about standards for battalions falling, and you attract the right sort of people a la what the SOG/SAD does with it's female officers (information is from the LCPL Underground so take with salt), or the Thailand Army Rangers. However to mix them in with Infantry Battalions would be a recockulously stupid idea.

Clux4

Banned
Well, these Lionesses (funny story behind that name) actually are not doing the same job as us grunts, what they are doing is attaching to an infantry patrol as a public affairs element and gathering intel from a source that has been delivering some actionable intel, while operating within and respecting the local culture.

You mean civil affairs?

Clux4

Banned
No, some of the Marines may come from civil affairs units, but they are executing a Public Affairs mission - at least how it has been explained to me.

This is not just semantics but there is a bit of difference between civil affairs and public affairs. Civil Affairs/Civil Military Operation/Civil Engagement typically means military relations with the local populace; passive gathering of information and other atmospheres. Public Affairs in the "military" context is more of media relations, loosely tied to information operation.
This is a broad stroke explanation.

macattack

I know it's a Marine Squadron, but why don't they have other service pilots? Why not some sort of exchange/interservice opportunity? Marines aren't the only ones who fly helos in the military. I think it would be a cool job.

Marines seem to have the monopoly on "ceremonial" when it comes to the executive branch and its agencies...hence you have the Marine Security Guard Battalion attached to US embassies worldwide (but nothing similar from the other services), standing guard in the White House, etc. Would be nice if anyone could shed light on how this came to be.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought VMX-2 was created to do OT&E for the V-22. I didn't realize they would do it for everyone else. How are they going to do OT&E for something for a Shitter?

VMX-22 has a CH-53E and a skeleton crew for the OT&E piece. It will take over the OT&E for the Kilo as well. Can't speak for the other platforms. It was exclusively V-22 testing until recently.

jmcquate

Contributor
Marines seem to have the monopoly on "ceremonial" when it comes to the executive branch and its agencies...hence you have the Marine Security Guard Battalion attached to US embassies worldwide (but nothing similar from the other services), standing guard in the White House, etc. Would be nice if anyone could shed light on how this came to be.

Best looking dress uniforms in the World.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Not quite. Every branch of the service has a Ceremonial guard in DC. The Army's got the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Old Guard. The AF has Air Force One and executive transport. Marines stand out because you see them crawling all over the White House, opening doors for the President and landing on his lawn and such.

Marines have historically guarded US Interests abroad because of a working partnership between the Dept of the Navy and the Dept of State. The Foreign Service Act goes back to the 1940s that basically formalized a gentlemen's agreement between SecState and SecNav to use Marines as Embassy Security Forces.

They guard embassies because they are shock troops and it doesn't take many staring at you from the bad side of a gun to encourage rowdy protesters to move along, plus the already mentioned Dress Blues.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't necessarily say this event was newsworthy, but I think it's still noteworthy given the statistical improbability of it happening, given you have fewer females in aviation than other jobs in the military, and the Marines have a smaller percentage of women in general. Beyond that, whatever.

Bevo16

pilot

Those Marines covering up out there is a good idea.

Just a few months ago we had 3 Naval Officers shot while running INSIDE THE WIRE at a base in Afghanistan, two of which were female, two of which were killed. Both women were wearing regular PT gear and not covered to anything close to Muslim standards.

I am all for women being included and all, but they have to be smart about what they wear just like everyone else.

Redux

I wouldn't necessarily say this event was newsworthy, but I think it's still noteworthy given the statistical improbability of it happening, given you have fewer females in aviation than other jobs in the military, and the Marines have a smaller percentage of women in general. Beyond that, whatever.

So someone wanted to make the statistical unlikely happen. seems kinda plastic to me.

East

东部
Contributor
Those Marines covering up out there is a good idea.

Just a few months ago we had 3 Naval Officers shot while running INSIDE THE WIRE at a base in Afghanistan, two of which were female, two of which were killed. Both women were wearing regular PT gear and not covered to anything close to Muslim standards.

I am all for women being included and all, but they have to be smart about what they wear just like everyone else.

This story......turns my stomach upside down and inside out.
There are no words for this, really upsetting and sickening if you really think about it.
Just imagine...no better not.
armygirlgz9yu6.jpg