• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First all female Marine One flight

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
damn...she's a cutie...that weapon weighs damn near as much as her though...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Surprise

I wouldn't necessarily say this event was newsworthy, but I think it's still noteworthy given the statistical improbability of it happening, given you have fewer females in aviation than other jobs in the military, and the Marines have a smaller percentage of women in general. Beyond that, whatever.

This "News" did not shock or surprise me at all. Some 25 years ago as a retiree, I got a Transpac hop on a USAF C-141 from Norton AFB to RAAF Base Richmond in Sydney, Australia. At our first stop at Hickam AFB, HI, upon exiting the A/C, we were greeted by the first "all female" C-141 crew in the AF: Pilot, Co-Pilot & Crew Chiefs. I was surprised, but the flights were fine, nice landings, smooth etc. I was impressed!:icon_mi_1

As of today, I am also impressed with our female Naval Aviators, especially those in Carrier Squadrons. Anyone who can consistently operate our high tech aircraft at sea (day & night, combat, etc.), male or female, has my endless admiration. I've been there & I know what it takes.:eek:
BzB

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Just a few months ago we had 3 Naval Officers shot while running INSIDE THE WIRE at a base in Afghanistan, two of which were female, two of which were killed. Both women were wearing regular PT gear and not covered to anything close to Muslim standards.

I am all for women being included and all, but they have to be smart about what they wear just like everyone else.

The two Officers that were killed consisted of a male and of a female.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/4013491.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lt. j.g. Francis Frankie Toner and Lt. Florence Bacong Choe were taking a Friday afternoon jog along a well-worn path on the outskirts of Forward Operating Base Shaheen in Afghanistan.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then an Afghan Army soldier raised his military-issued weapon and fatally shot the two officers. A third Navy officer was also wounded in the shootings, said Air Force Capt. Elizabeth Mathias, a spokeswoman for U.S. Forces in Afghanistan.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Afghan soldier fatally shot himself moments after the killings, Mathias said.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
dammit...I think you're right

There are a bunch of NJROTC HS dorks in the background...
I just noticed blondie and a heavy calibre gun...

Air Force, I believe. I spy some stripes on the sleeves of the guy with the glasses. Look at the rolls on the sleeves too. ;) Yeah, I know...too much time on my hands.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
dammit...I think you're right

There are a bunch of NJROTC HS dorks in the background...
I just noticed blondie and a heavy calibre gun...

Hi. I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC. We're doing a show about adults who meet kids on the internet for sex. Why don't you have a seat over there?

chris-hansen.jpg

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've read the write up of the guy killed who got the bronze star for what he did trying to save the other 2 officers. I don't think them being in PT gear had anything to do with it, it was more a killing of opportunity. Seriously, I don't think the terrorists are going to say to themselves, "Oh I wasn't planning on making this attack even though I have the opportunity, but now that I see women in PT gear, death to the immodest infidels!"

Bevo16

pilot
I don't think them being in PT gear had anything to do with it, it was more a killing of opportunity. Seriously, I don't think the terrorists are going to say to themselves, "Oh I wasn't planning on making this attack even though I have the opportunity, but now that I see women in PT gear, death to the immodest infidels!"

Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about. Not a clue. You would be well served to avoid taking one snippet of information and trying to fill in the blanks with what you "think". What you 'think" is nothing more than speculation, base on...nothing really.

When incidents happen like this, there are casualty reports, after action reports, JAGMAN investigations, line of duty investigations, Congressional Inquiries, etc. The survivors often talk to people and tell them the actual account of the attack. If you are looking for an accurate description of the events, the last place you are going to look is an award citation.

I am sure that everyone here (who as been in the Navy longer than 15 minutes) has been at quarters at some point while an award was being read and they had to roll their eyes at "accmplishments" of the person getting the award. I am not saying that the write up in this case was not factual, but Pat Tillman's family will tell you that awards written for the deceased are often much richer in good intentions than fact.