• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First all female Marine One flight

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Doesn't ANY military aircraft carrying the President become Army/Air Force/Navy/Marine/Coast Guard one?

But this is the only Navy One that's ever been to my knowledge.

800px-Navy_One.jpgg

phrogpilot73

But this is the only Navy One that's ever been to my knowledge.
Let's see...

It's pretty common for a Marine One and an Air Force One. The moment there's a "Navy One" we continue to fight a war that "ended" when he landed on the carrier. I say we keep it to the Marines and Air Force.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's see...

It's pretty common for a Marine One and an Air Force One. The moment there's a "Navy One" we continue to fight a war that "ended" when he landed on the carrier. I say we keep it to the Marines and Air Force.

That's as bizarre as it is tenuous.

Brett

jtmedli

pilot
I know it's a Marine Squadron, but why don't they have other service pilots? Why not some sort of exchange/interservice opportunity? Marines aren't the only ones who fly helos in the military. I think it would be a cool job.

The Marine Corps and Army used to split the duties of flying the POTUS around. Sometime in the '70s I think it became purely a Marine Corps gig.

GroundPounder

Doesn't ANY military aircraft carrying the President become Army/Air Force/Navy/Marine/Coast Guard one?

If it is a privately owned aircraft, it would be Executive One. This was last used by a United Airlines flight that President Nixon flew on in December of 1973. It was a PR deal to show that everyone was conserving fuel, and coincided with the new 55 mph national speed limit.

When it was time to return to Washington DC from California, AF1 was flown out ( empty ) to pick him up.

Clux4

Banned
The Marine Corps and Army used to split the duties of flying the POTUS around. Sometime in the '70s I think it became purely a Marine Corps gig.

The Army still has an executive fleet of helicopters South of DC at Davidson Army Airfield, Fort Belvoir, VA.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
A PC stunt

I would categorize it more as a Photo Op. It really isn't all that different than any other unique photo. We sent two guys to their local airshow in a jet. Both were from the same school which was in the same town as the airshow. Press made a point about the "local boys" and the photo appeared in the local paper as well as the college paper and the college alumni magazine. It is free publicity, and in this case, it is good publicity, and that helps recruiting. Had they not had the "angle," they would not have been the item of interest that day.

This is no different than when the Navy made a big deal over the "All Navy" Apollo 12 Mission. Google Apollo 12 and almost every discussion will make note of that fact.

"A short time later,
HORNET recovered Apollo 12 with the all-Navy crew of moon walkers. Most of the astronauts were Navy pilots who had outstanding training, launching, and landing on aircraft carriers."
http://www.uss-hornet.org/groups/pdf/Apollo_Classroom_Activities.pdf

If most of the astronauts were indeed Naval Aviators, then why make a big deal about it? The fact that most of the Marine One crew is not female makes it unique enough to take a photo. IMHO.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. I would categorize it more as a Photo Op.
2. It really isn't all that different than any other unique photo.....
1. Well, that would be one 'interpretation' ... but what IS a staged 'photo op', if not a defacto ... 'stunt' ... especially in this PARTICULAR situation ... ??? Again, I was there for the first airline one -- so I know how it was staged and set up -- so don't try to bullshit a bullshitter. It's futile ... :D

2. Bullshit, again. There you go again .... as behind this 'great Aviation milestone' (millstone?) ... you're talkin' politicians and civilian bureaucrats and the policies they are promoting & pushing .... so rest assured, EVERYTHING IS A STUNT. Or at the very least ... a 'photo op' as you choose to call it. :) Not hardly a 'moon shot', is it ????

3. This one's for 'free' ... as I suspect you have been existing on a steady diet of the sweet, sugary PC KoolAid for some time -- you might even be terminal w/ all the cavities that diet has wrought while it softened the space between your ears ... so dream on, Brother ... and as always, each to his -- or her -- own. :)

Feet Wet

I am WOMAN, hear me roar! Got it. They are equal. Got it. They can do the same job as men. Got it.

Check out the article in the New York Times today about lobbying for women to join light infantry units and other combat arms.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/us/16women.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig

Wonder what the other grunts think of this. I have a sneaking suspicion that like most modern journalism (if you can call it that), the whole story is not given equal footing IOT prop up their view.

jmcquate

Contributor
What's the process for getting into HMX-1 as a pilot? Do they mostly do test and eval or executive transport? I know that they schleped us around at OCS.

phrogpilot73

What's the process for getting into HMX-1 as a pilot? Do they mostly do test and eval or executive transport? I know that they schleped us around at OCS.
It's almost like rushing a fraternity. You put in for it, and then you either get the nod or not from pilots at HMX-1 that know you or know people that know you.

They do more than just test/eval & executive transport. The first 2 years they are there, they're green side doing assault support, test/eval, VIP hops, etc... The second two years they are white side doing executive transport. There's a ton of other jobs (ground jobs) for them as well. I've never met anyone that DIDN'T like their tour there.

They're still a bunch of tools though. ;)