• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Finally leveled off my BP around 120/75. For the longest time was way high around 160/100. Weight and diet seemed to be the huge limiting factor so if you have the time try to hone in on what your body reacts too if you have any health concerns

brogdawg32

Work, gym, study gouge. And civil air patrol stuff to fill in spare time.

Finally got my run time under 9 min, my goal is to be at 8:15/100/115 by the time I ship out.

Jeremiahjl85

Pro Rec NFO
Work, gym, study gouge. And civil air patrol stuff to fill in spare time.

Finally got my run time under 9 min, my goal is to be at 8:15/100/115 by the time I ship out.
I thought I would be the only one studying Civil Air Patrol knowledge to prep. Great to know others think it's a great idea as we'll.

brogdawg32

I thought I would be the only one studying Civil Air Patrol knowledge to prep. Great to know others think it's a great idea as we'll.
I'm a new member of the squadron in my area. I'm just completing a bunch of online training so I can help with SAREX and other exercises/community things in the area.

What CAP stuff are you studying in particular?

Jeremiahjl85

Pro Rec NFO
I'm a new member of the squadron in my area. I'm just completing a bunch of online training so I can help with SAREX and other exercises/community things in the area.

What CAP stuff are you studying in particular?
It's been over ten years since I was in a squadron. I'm only studying the first three modules. It was amazing to me him much of that info was on the aviation portion of the ASTB.

brogdawg32

Dumbest post on AW.
1) you're quite the debbie downer, always being negative. It's from a guy that makes very popular joke videos about fitness, brosciencelife.

2)no need to get in a huge debate here about why Crossfit is both inefficient and dangerous, but I'll play ball if you want.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
2)no need to get in a huge debate here about why Crossfit is both inefficient and dangerous, but I'll play ball if you want.
I was hoping that I wouldn't spark a CrossFit debate, but let me try (probably futilely) to defend myself. I was initially skeptical of it, especially given all the vitriol directed towards CrossFit on the Internet. However, they offered a free trial workout, so I figured I didn't have anything to lose. With lots of free time this summer, I wanted to increase the intensity of my workouts in preparation for OCS. As an exercise novice, I was enticed by the prospect of more personalized training rather than trying to figure things out for myself.

My experience has far surpassed my expectations. Contrary to what I had feared, the trainers are supportive and enthusiastic. I'm never encouraged to push myself harder than I am able, and the focus is always on proper form and preventing injury rather than getting the "high score," either in reps or weight. Maybe my "box" is just different from the norm, but if so, then it is different in a way that is working for me. In addition, several of the other participants are active-duty military (O-5's, mostly) studying at the nearby Army War College, which is a great networking opportunity for me.

This may also have a lot to do with my fitness background (or, more accurately, lack thereof). It wasn't until my late 20's that I started taking my health seriously, and not until my early 30's that I ever set foot in a gym. Working out at CrossFit has been the first time I have even touched a weight lifting bar since high school gym class (when I couldn't lift the bar, the gym "teacher" sent me to the library). I'm getting up early (classes start at 6am), challenging myself with a wide variety of exercises that I've never done before, and learning more about the military and military life. Seems like good preparation for OCS to me.

If you'd like to hash this out more, feel free to send me a PM, I'd hate to derail this thread any further.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
If you guys are into flight simming, you should also check out the VRS Super Hornet. It's a pretty cool and detailed sim. Definitely great for passing time.

I've toyed around with the VRS, pretty sick but it sucks how limited FSX is when it comes to weapons employment. A group is coming out with a Rhino for DCS and that would be unbelievable. A high-fidelity F-18 sim combined with the Oculus Rift would bring chair-flying to a whole new level, and I imagine it would be a great tool for training.

brogdawg32

@Fronch I'll take it up over PM maybe after work, when I have a chance to respond. I'll explain why Crossfit is simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to in weightlifting history

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
@Fronch I'll take it up over PM maybe after work, when I have a chance to respond. I'll explain why Crossfit is simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to in weightlifting history
No please do it here. I would love to hear what you come up with. As for Debbie downer...no it's just most the stuff I read I respond to be because it either stupid or bad gouge. But please I would love to hear more personal bad gouge about how crossfit is the worst thing to happen to the weight lifting community.