• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Update from Tailhook Daily Briefing

6a00d8341ca54753ef01156f806fdf970c-pi

Over at War Bird Information Exchange they are all a glow abut the addition of two… that’s right! TWO! SU-27 Flankers to their fleet.

The two airplanes were delivered to Rockford, Illinois a few months ago, but we weren't able to announce it until now. More photos and details are available at PrideAircraft.com, on the "News" page.

Buck Wyndham
Warbird Instructor Pilot
Pride Aircraft

I’m not saying y’all shouldn’t go ahead and submit your flight resumes to these guys, but it sounds like they’ve got a few aviators already trained up in these birds:

The owners already have a small team of U.S. pilots checked out in the aircraft. The training was conducted in Ukraine. The owners and pilots prefer to remain anonymous right now. (No, Dale [Snodgrass] is not among them...)

First flights might be in the next two months.

We are extremely excited to have these beasts in our hangars. I'll post more shots on our website as time allows.

Current plans are for these birds to support ACM and Fam training for the Navy and the Junior Air Service.

I would expect to see these big beasts around the Fallon and Nellis ranges fairly soon.

(HT: Parrot Head Jeff)

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
ACM training? I thought civillians, regardless of prior military experience, were not allowed to "full up". Either way, I call dibs on the first 1v1.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Wonder how they're gonna maintain those bad boys...Anyone?

Wasn't that India's big complaint about the Russian hardware: cost a fortune for parts?

I suspect NSAWC didn't buy them because, well, when they cut the $$ to fly the planes you have, you're not likely to get more $$$$$ to buy new planes.

Nevertheless: cool. as. crap.

Begs the question: ATAC A-4 vs. TacAir Flanker; who buys the beer for the debrief?

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
My thoughts exactly, propaddict. Not to mention an engine that fits in one bird may not fit in another.....DOH! BTW, I'll take an A4. The flanker will probably fod itself on startup anyway. A4 can then strafe his a$$ in the hangar

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
F-8 Crusader Pilot's Creed....

I know this is bound to piss off the Light Attack bubbas on this forum, but I received this from a family member whose a VF type. I have no dog in this fight. Fight's on!

Haven't seen this one in a long time. Who said A4 attack pukes couldn't write!

This might explain why they act like they do...
I guess it was in vogue around 1960 when the F8 ready room got to watch the
Evening movie while the rest went night flying.

THE CRUSADER PILOT'S CREED

I am a United States Navy Crusader pilot. My life is dedicated to
protecting the skies of America between sunrise and sunset. Nothing
shall deter me from performing my duty except clouds, darkness, or
lack of wind. My country has invested in me the faith of its people, by
training me to fly faster while doing less than any other pilot in
the world. I shall always do my utmost, provided the weather is clear, to
ensure that this sacred trust has not been placed in vain. I shall
never forget, nor allow anyone in my general area to forget, that:
* I Can fly 1,000 miles per hour.
* I can carry a Sidewinder missile.
* My wing goes up and down.

I do hereby solemnly swear to observe faithfully the ensuing code of
professional ethics:
1. Whenever Naval Aviators congregate in drinking establishments, I
shall conduct myself in a loud and obnoxious manner, especially if
less fortunate, low performance aircraft pilots are present.
2. While deployed (and not yet off-loaded), I shall strive to
maintain the long-cherished tradition of daylight fighter pilots by attending
every nightly movie, regardless of whether I can follow the plot.
3. I shall not permit interruptions of occasional flights to prevent
me from maintaining my proficiency in Acey Deucy at fighter pilot
standards.
4. I shall never go ashore without my F8 lapel pin and my F8 baseball cap.
5. I will not bolter.
6. If I should bolter, I will have readily available an assorted
variety of colorful excuses.
7. I will wear my space suit and helmet for all air shows,Dependents'
Day cruises, and those operational flights which do no require any
movement in the cockpit (providing someone helps me in and out of the
airplane).

This is my Creed and these are my ideals. With the help of God and my
afterburner, I shall do my best to justify the confidence that has
been placed in me, even if I have to fly during lunch time.

You can take the boy out of the Crusader
But you can't take the Crusader out of the boy.

Crusader Assoc. website: www.f8crusader.org

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
'Saders ... if they'd been an option, I would have done it.

This was on many/most of the lockers @ Bronson Field when we bounced @ VT-4 for the LEX .... p.s. ..... DON'T LET CAT' SEE IT !!!!! :eek:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well Said!

I know this is bound to piss off the Light Attack bubbas on this forum, but I received this from a family member whose a VF type. I have no dog in this fight. Fight's on!

Haven't seen this one in a long time. Who said A4 attack pukes couldn't write!

Well, as a long time Light Attack Puke (A4s), I take no umbrage (whatever that is) to this post. Couldn't have described a Crusader pilot any better myself! I had the distinct honor of having a sqdn of F-8s on each of my first 2 Westpacs (VFs 91 & 51). Our "whiz kids" did actually fly at night occasionally, and when they did, the entrepreneurial LATPUKES made big bucks selling precious tickets to Vultures Row! Always SRO for the fireworks show! They were good guys tho, & we always had a ball on the beach with them. Each night on the cruise when I said my pre-rack prayers, I thanked the Good Lord that I didn't have to bring the 'Sader aboard at NIGHT!:eek:
BzB COMLATBUBBA

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
But F-8 pilots have never puked on their wings . . .

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Bullet #3 is still valid today. Sure, you shacked the target and got the ok 3, but do you know when to pull the sweaty? How do you attack a slow roller? These are tactics that will make or break your ace-deuce career and thus must be trained upon constantly.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:icon_smil
'Saders ... if they'd been an option, I would have done it.

This was on many/most of the lockers @ Bronson Field when we bounced @ VT-4 for the LEX .... p.s. ..... DON'T LET CAT' SEE IT !!!!! :eek:
Oh I am well familiar with that ubiquitous weeping 'sader zap. But I always liked it! Its nice to see those arrogant bastards with a tear in their eye :icon_smil......... just like when they teared up in a debrief after being surprisingly humbled (for a change) by an F-4 driver using new, Renaissance TOPGUN tactics. It was a changing of the guard for those talented but obnoxious guys. It was eye-watering in the humble sense. :D:D

[At least A4s, you didn't bring up "Hudn', Hud'n." You know how that drives me over the edge. :eek: :icon_rage :)]

Of the many Navy aircraft I never flew, but would have loved to, the F-8 would be at the top of the list. While I hate to admit it, every Naval Aviator of that era I think secretly coveted that aircraft.

Those arrogant guys were arrogant with reason – they could talk the walk 'cuz they flew the talk. Great sticks all - those that lived...... Natural selection, I suppose.

Every F-8 driver I ever knew jumped out of at least one. And if they lived, climbed right back on another. And of the 1,266 Crusaders built, 1,106 had major accidents. Link It was an extremely capable fighter, but a very unforgiving, if not dangerous one to fly..... Especially aboard 27 Charlies. :eek:

The F-8 was a monster of a fighter for its time, and their crews were monsters too – the best. They maintained their close-in weapons delivery proficiency, while the F-4 community was asleep at the switch..... Until the Ault Report and TOPGUN changed everything.

Never having been there but hearing the raves of my F-8 friends, I understand the ever-recurring, "Last Crusader Ball" is one of the best events for aviators ever, and it has flourished over the years, having even had one in France (the French flew F-8s for many years.) I think I have heard more Crusader Ball sea stories, as I have heard fleet F-8 stories, and I have heard several hundred, I think.

F-8 drivers were a group that was easy to hate, hard to fight, and easy to respect.
And a number remain close friends today....