• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA Mandates ADS-B to replace transponders by 2020

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
"The FAA on May 27 published its final rule mandating what owners will be required to have on board their aircraft in order to operate in the new satellite-based air traffic control system known as NextGen. By 2020, Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Out (ADS-B Out) will be required equipment in all airspace that currently requires a transponder." - AOPA

Read More Here

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ever notice how the FEDs are always ''mandating'' ... but never ''paying'' for their mandates. I love it ...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Just don't go into class A, B, or C airspace and don't fly IFR. Nobody's making you do anything. Problem solved.

If you want to complain about it, the FAA can always just implement user fees on top of the required equipment instead of providing what pretty much amounts to a free service.

yak52driver

Contributor
Just don't go into class A, B, or C airspace and don't fly IFR. Nobody's making you do anything. Problem solved.

If you want to complain about it, the FAA can always just implement user fees on top of the required equipment instead of providing what pretty much amounts to a free service.

Actually, 22 cents tax for every gallon of avgas sold goes to the FAA for fees from GA aircraft. I quit using Flight Service for briefings when the FAA outsourced the service to Lockheed, and do my briefings via duat.com. And I feel it is our duty to make sure the FAA does use resources wisely, and raise a red flag when they go over the top. These new transponders will add more cost, and for what benefit to most pilots?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Actually, 22 cents tax for every gallon of avgas sold goes to the FAA for fees from GA aircraft. I quit using Flight Service for briefings when the FAA outsourced the service to Lockheed, and do my briefings via duat.com. And I feel it is our duty to make sure the FAA does use resources wisely, and raise a red flag when they go over the top. These new transponders will add more cost, and for what benefit to most pilots?

OK. I'll agree. The Lockheed briefers are pretty bad; at least compared to the old system.

Forgot about the fuel tax. How long does a xpdr last?

yak52driver

Contributor
OK. I'll agree. The Lockheed briefers are pretty bad; at least compared to the old system.

Forgot about the fuel tax. How long does a xpdr last?

We've got some xpndrs that are over 30 years old and still ticking in the charter planes I fly. I put a new one in my Yak two years ago for about $2,000. I'd hate to have to do it again before it wears out.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Staying away from controlled airspace and not filing IFR isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially for people who live near larger cities or small businesses that operate an aircraft. For some, the upgrade is cheap, for others not so much.

And has been mentioned before, the service is anything but free, not to mention that like most of the residents of the United States I pay taxes on my income.

The only consolation with this is the adoption time frame. Allowing 10 years for owners to upgrade is a significant step forward over some of the earlier proposals. Though nothing inside of an aircraft can be considered cheap, hopefully the time frame and volume required will help drive cost down slightly.

What irks me is that this proposal seems like a way for the FAA to try and save some money by shutting down some of its radar facilities. By requiring ADS-B, the FAA will be able to lower their costs by operating less equipment on their end. So, how do they do this? Push the cost onto the pilots. I suppose I'm just grumpy today, but I fail to see how this is a significantly better approach.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Actually, 22 cents tax for every gallon of avgas sold goes to the FAA for fees from GA aircraft. I quit using Flight Service for briefings when the FAA outsourced the service to Lockheed

I agree (and with the rest of what your wrote). The briefers have improved a bit after hitting a low a few years ago. It got bad enough there was a special bitch-line/1-800 number to complain about them.

And a lot of people seem to forget that there is already a tax on fuel.

ryan1234

Ever notice how the FEDs are always ''mandating'' ... but never ''paying'' for their mandates. I love it ...

We're steppin' towards Europeanism aviationism

Sounds like now's the time to get some stock in the avionics biz

Kinda wonder how much those doo-dads cost... and are they required for experimentals? (probably, right?)

ryan1234

Staying away from controlled airspace and not filing IFR isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially for people who live near larger cities or small businesses that operate an aircraft. For some, the upgrade is cheap, for others not so much.

And has been mentioned before, the service is anything but free, not to mention that like most of the residents of the United States I pay taxes on my income.

The only consolation with this is the adoption time frame. Allowing 10 years for owners to upgrade is a significant step forward over some of the earlier proposals. Though nothing inside of an aircraft can be considered cheap, hopefully the time frame and volume required will help drive cost down slightly.

What irks me is that this proposal seems like a way for the FAA to try and save some money by shutting down some of its radar facilities. By requiring ADS-B, the FAA will be able to lower their costs by operating less equipment on their end. So, how do they do this? Push the cost onto the pilots. I suppose I'm just grumpy today, but I fail to see how this is a significantly better approach.

I'm sure glad they (did)~(are) closin' down those NDB things... what a pain!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Staying away from controlled airspace and not filing IFR isn't as easy as it sounds.....
Yeah ... YEAH ... YEAH !!!

If your answer is to stay away from all things IFR/controlled airspace, you may as well get a horse ... :)

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I'm sure glad they (did)~(are) closin' down those NDB things... what a pain!

I still use NDBs on my cross country flights out here in KS. Seems like half of the small airports out here have them. Make for good SA when you're flying in the middle of KS, when landmarks and cities become scarce.

And for the record. . .Partial panel NDB approaches are fun :)