• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F18 NATOPS

Rooster_

Hi everyone,

I found a free electronic version of the F18C NATOPS from 2008 and I’m kinda interested in reading it because I have the F18C in DCS and want to learn how to fly it properly.

I want to be a naval aviator in an F18C (I’m familiar with how the process works for what aircraft I may or may not get assigned to), once I graduate college so here are my questions.

Would reading and learning the entire NATOPS and familiarizing myself with the F18C in DCS be something I could put on my resume? If not, would mentioning it on my application to OCS give me an advantage over other applicants? Would it give me an advantage anywhere in the process?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would not be something you could or should put on your resume and you definitely shouldn’t mention it in your OCS application or anywhere else in the process. It will not give you an advantage at all.

Feel free to read it as an hobby, but you already know how many steps you have before you have even the possibility of flying any variant of F/A-18.

Also, the Navy no longer flies C model Hornets (just the E/F Super Hornet and the EA-18G Growler).

Rooster_

Understood, thanks. With that being said, are the cockpit controls of the F18C different from the Superhornet? Or in general, what are the differences between the two?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Understood, thanks. With that being said, are the cockpit controls of the F18C different from the Superhornet? Or in general, what are the differences between the two?
There are definitely differences (they’re completely different airframes), but I don’t really think it’s germane to your DCS interests/will affect any of your future learning. For your purposes the cockpit controls will be similar enough. You can Google a list of all of the differences or search around for some old threads if you’re really curious.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I'll take your claim at face value and give you some advice.

Ambition and motivation are great, and wanting to learn things to help you understand the process is relatable. When I was in college I tried to tailor any studies that I could to help me get ahead in where I wanted to go, and hey I landed somewhere around that point.

More than once I dug too deep into trying to make things from Naval Aviation fit some project at school. Never did it give me any real benefit after I showed up to Pensacola. What did help was gaining general experience and knowledge in things that are readily available on any campus.

There's good advice above in this thread (if not a bit of mildly dismissive snark, but hey that's just the game) in the posts above.

A decent list of what would really help you is:
-getting good grades in STEM classes
-being physically fit
-not having any criminal record (or behavior that risks one)
-extra curriculars and hobbies that make you well rounded
-flight time/exposure and maybe even training if you've got the means
-contacting an officer recruiter and diligently and professionally working with them and taking their recommendations
-Being the type of person who has self discipline and persistence.
-Using the search bar on this site and others to find what has worked for other people, internalizing that info and asking specific and relevant questions when necessary

Things that will not help you:
Reading an out dated technical manual for a retired airframe that you won't be able to meaningful interact with, to mess around in a poor approximation sim. It takes years of training for CAT 1 winged aviators to have the expirence necessary to begin working with that manual. You're more likely "teach" yourself something detrimental and guaranteed to waste your time.

Don't put the cart before the horse and loose the opportunity cost to affect your chances of pursuing a great opportunity.

But if you are China.... Get fucked.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you've demonstrated proficiency in Halo or Call of Duty (they don't need you to prove it on your application btw), the Marines will sign you up as a rifleman Riki-Tik.
Way back when I enlisted in the Corps they basically told, “we never promised you a rose garden,” if I had waited just a few short years I would have been able to enlist as a dragon slayer.

number9

Contributor
Way back when I enlisted in the Corps they basically told, “we never promised you a rose garden,” if I had waited just a few short years I would have been able to enlist as a dragon slayer.
Griz, I actually found this clip of you in a Marine Corps documentary talking about the dragon: