• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F18 HARM shooters on 1986 Libya Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Speaking of “heavy,” how about the F-8 Crusader… wouldn’t that qualify as heavy? ...
F = Fighter .... a.k.a. "The Last of the Gunfighters" ...

outoff8smallzu3.gif

*sigh*:)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When the A-6's went up North with big bomb loads...since they were probably less maneuverable (sp?) loaded up , would they typically fly at night/foul weather with AF pathfinders? Would they also have jammers with them to screw with the SAMs since again, they probably couldnt jink a SAM with all those bombs that easily at altitude. I just think it would be crazy sending A-6's loaded with MK 82's unpackaged..

Renegade One

None
Just for the sake of completeness on the original thread, here's the complete Navy OOB for Operation ELDORADO CANYON:

CVW-17 (AA)
USS SARATOGA CV-60
October 1985 until March 1986
VF-74 Bedevilers F-14A
VF-103 Sluggers F-14A TARPS
VA-83 Rampagers A-7E
VA-81 Sunliners A-7E
VA-85 Black Falcons A-6E/KA-6D
VAW-125 Tigertails E-2C
VAQ-132 Scorpions EA-6B
VS-30 Diamondcutters S-3A
HS-3 Tridents SH-3H

CVW-13 (AK)
USS CORAL SEA CV-43
February 1986 until July 1986
VFA-131 Wildcats F/A-18A
VFA-132 Privateers F/A-18A
VMFA-314 Black Knights F/A-18A
VMFA-323 Death Rattlers F/A-18A
VA-55 Sea Horses A-6E/KA-6D
VAW-127 E-2C
VAQ-137 Rooks EA-6B
HS-17 Neptune's Riders SH-3H

CVW-1 (AB)
USS AMERICA CV-66
March 1986 until July 1986
VF-33 Starfighters F-14A
VF-102 Diamondbacks F-14A TARPS
VA-46 Clansmen A-7E
VA-72 Blue Hawks A-7E
VA-34 Blue Blasters A-6E/KA-6D
VAW-123 Screwtops E-2C
VMAQ-2 Playboys EA-6B
VS-32 Maulers S-3A
HS-11 Dragonslayers SH-3H
VQ-2 Batmen (JQ) EA-3B, EP-2E Rota AB, Spain (permanently stationed)

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
[/FONT][/COLOR]CVW-13 (AK)
USS CORAL SEA CV-43
VFA-131 Wildcats F/A-18A
VAW-127 E-2C
VAQ-137 Rooks EA-6B

My brain hurts thinking about what a tanking pain it must have been having 4 baby hornet squadrons.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
CVW-17 (AA)
USS SARATOGA CV-60
VF-74 Bedevilers F-14A
VA-83 Rampagers A-7E
VA-81 Sunliners A-7E
VAW-125 Tigertails E-2C
VAQ-132 Scorpions EA-6B
HS-3 Tridents SH-3H

CVW-13 (AK)
USS CORAL SEA CV-43
VFA-131 Wildcats F/A-18A
VAW-127 E-2C
VAQ-137 Rooks EA-6B

CVW-1 (AB)
USS AMERICA CV-66
VF-33 Starfighters F-14A
VA-46 Clansmen A-7E
VA-72 Blue Hawks A-7E
VAW-123 Screwtops E-2C
VMAQ-2 Playboys EA-6B
VS-32 Maulers S-3A

Spike,
No HSL love in that OOB? There must've been some Sea Sprites out there too with the CVBG, and you remembered the queer P-3's but no H-2's :(

Pugs

Back from the range
None
When the A-6's went up North with big bomb loads...since they were probably less maneuverable (sp?) loaded up , would they typically fly at night/foul weather with AF pathfinders? Would they also have jammers with them to screw with the SAMs since again, they probably couldnt jink a SAM with all those bombs that easily at altitude. I just think it would be crazy sending A-6's loaded with MK 82's unpackaged..

A-4's will get to this with real world experience but no. There were no AF pathfinders. Generally single ship or section alone and the Prowlers at the time were mostly fragged to support BUFFS. There were Whales for EW but they usually didn't go feet dry. The Intruders would go in low, below most SAMS but right in the heart of AAA.

Crazy? Yes but the concept of building a sanctuary and operating in it was contrary to the ROE developed by McNamara. Had to wait for them to finish the SAM site before you whacked it.

I may get mocked for this, and I don't care, but pick up a copy of Flight of the Intruder. The BOOK DAMMIT not the movie. It will give you a little insight into the Intruder at war albeit a consolidation of many stories. It will also make you realize why most of us TN types put A-6 down as our first choice on the dream sheet and why we wore a Grumman Ironworks patch on our jacket. (albeit it mine was the Prowler thanks to being the last class of the FY ergo #1 got Intruders Oceana and the rest 11 of us got Prowlers) needs of the Navy dontcha know. :(

HuggyU2

None
Enough of this "fighter pilot" and "attack pilot" stuff.....

Let's talk about Recce Pilots! :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When the A-6's went up North .... would they typically fly ...with AF pathfinders? ..... I just think it would be crazy sending A-6's (alone) ....
I'm gonna give you a passed ball on that one, as you're young and you mean well .... :)

Those A-6 guys ... call 'em crazy. Crazy like a fox ... :icon_wink

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just for the sake of completeness on the original thread, here's the complete Navy OOB for Operation ELDORADO CANYON:

CVW-17 (AA)
USS SARATOGA CV-60
VF-74 Bedevilers F-14A
VA-83 Rampagers A-7E
VA-81 Sunliners A-7E
VAW-125 Tigertails E-2C
VAQ-132 Scorpions EA-6B
HS-3 Tridents SH-3H

CVW-13 (AK)
USS CORAL SEA CV-43
VFA-131 Wildcats F/A-18A
VAW-127 E-2C
VAQ-137 Rooks EA-6B

CVW-1 (AB)
USS AMERICA CV-66
VF-33 Starfighters F-14A
VA-46 Clansmen A-7E
VA-72 Blue Hawks A-7E
VAW-123 Screwtops E-2C
VMAQ-2 Playboys EA-6B
VS-32 Maulers S-3A

USS Saratoga was in Gulf of Sidra earlier, but left prior to El Dorado Canyon.

VF-102 Tomcat returns to USS America at dawn following El Dorado Canyon

SunriseSidra.jpg

HJ Photo

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
VF-102 Tomcat returns to USS America at dawn following El Dorado Canyon

SunriseSidra.jpg

HJ Photo

So ... what you are saying is you were there??? In a very humble and sly way, making us put the pieces together :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So ... what you are saying is you were there??? In a very humble and sly way, making us put the pieces together :D

I don't know about being sly; just tired, and wanted to clear up record. There were 3 carriers ops once America arrived and that culminated in the "Night of the boats" in March in which the Libyan Navy was pummeled. We retired North and did an anchorage off Sardinia where we crossdecked with Sara and she returned home while Coral Sea remained on station (we had taken the Pukin' Dog with us and sent it home with trusted JO friends).

During the Night of the Boats, routine HARM launches in between (Tomcats would run at SA-5 sites at altitude to get them to illuminate and A-7s down low would then send a HARM their way) and during El Dorado Canyon, Tomcats had grandstand view of fireworks while hoping somebody would launch. I was in one of two Tomcats that deloused everyone and stayed south until packages recovered. This picture was taken as ship was telling us to Buster. We caught our flight lead (who had been on opposing racetrack pattern) to do a hook check prior to getting vectors to a modified Case III recovery.

I had about 20 seconds to snap this picture and didn't know for months if it turned out since it was Kodachrome and had to be sent off for processing. It's my favorite of all I've taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.