• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Unable to Get Aboard Ship, really?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Question for anyone who can answer- Blackhawks can fold their tails, right?

Yes. The blades fold as well, but it has to be done by hand. The bladefold crutches are designed a little differently as well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Hornet started life as the F-17 which lost the "lightweight fighter" contract to the F-16. When the Navy lost the A-12, we needed another aircraft fast and the F-17 evolved into the F/A-18. So, I guess you could say that it started life as a single service jet, only to find life with a different service.

Plus, I watched the movie "Independence Day" and every service and country (to include Iraqis) all fly Hornets.

I mean, Hollywood is always right.... right???
F-17 and F/A-18 are family, but not the same jet by a long shot.

And others are correct, A-12 was around until the 90s. My understanding is that the A-6 community was killed to fund it and that proved to be a bad gamble. I'm pretty sure we got the Super Hornet and some extra life from the F-14 out of the A-12 debacle.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......And others are correct, A-12 was around until the 90s. My understanding is that the A-6 community was killed to fund it and that proved to be a bad gamble. I'm pretty sure we got the Super Hornet and some extra life from the F-14 out of the A-12 debacle.

Not quite what happened, HeyJoe and Meat saw it first hand but the A-12 was killed then the decision to retire the A-6 happened shortly thereafter, the A-12 was supposed to be a direct replacement for the A-6. What you may be thinking of is the A-6F (with F404 engines, updated radar and electronics) and the A-6G, both updated A-6 prototypes that were cancelled at the end of the 80's in favor of the A-12.

IIRC HJ posted an anecdote about the decision to kill it and the Admiral who made the call was a former A-6 guy, deciding to turn the F-14 into a strike platform while waiting for the Super Hornet to get to the fleet. While some may disagree the decision was probably the right one, the A-6 was an old platform and nearing the end of it's useful life, especially the A-6E still flying in the fleet.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the Super Hornet came along after that whole debacle, due to the Navy having sunk so much money into the A-12 program that its procurement options were limited. Or is that just a sea story?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but the A-6F would have been tits. Not least because then LTJG Fester could've picked it out of P'cola.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326951464.517289.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326951464.517289.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 76

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Yeah, but the A-6F would have been tits. Not least because then LTJG Fester could've picked it out of P'cola.

And a bitching patch (got one in my collection at home). LOL
a6f.JPG

But seriously, the A-6F was killed to build the A-12. Then the A-12 got killed so the Navy went to the Hornet E/F. Would have loved to fly the A-6F though. More F info with pics:
http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/A6.htm

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
The Tomcat was built to replace the Phantom. The Hornet was built to replace the Skyhawk and Corsair II. The A-12 was designed to replace the Intruder. That was the plan, but obviously it didn't work out as planned. When the A-12 was cancelled, the Hornet was seen to be sufficient enough of a light bomber to fill for the A-6. As the Tomcat grew to be seen as cost prohibitive on the maintenance side and the older Hornets were running out of life, the F/A-18 E/F was born to fill the gap until the F-35 was available. The collapse of the A-12 had a major impact on the requirement for a "gap" aircraft in the Navy. The Navy sold it to congress as just another flavor of Hornet with a good pitch and it is actually one of the better procument stories out there, despite canted pylons.

The Hornet did begin life as the YF-17, but went through significant changes to make it a carrier based aircraft. As other posts have indicated, the best way to design a multi-service aircraft is the make if for the Navy first and then other people can use it too because they still work on land. You just don't get STOVL that way. But that's what Helos are for!

Fun fact, the Reagan only has three wires BECAUSE of the A-12 design.