• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Not gonna argue on the internet, but LtCol Stout should study some systems and enterprise engineering publications. Sure, some better decisions could've been made 20 years ago, but at this point it's time to start printing airplanes. Unless, of course, he thinks it'd be cheaper to triple our CV production to hold all these USMC F-35Cs.

I agree with the premise - that including a STOVL variant in the JSF design was wrong, but at this point we are pot committed. There aren't any other viable options that would save any money or increase our capabilities.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just curious what jet guys in the fleet would choose if you were given a choice between flying a Rhino or a -35C? It sounds like the ISR systems on the JSF are pretty nice, at least from the stuff that's out in the public domain. But given a choice with your current knowledge of the airframes would you pick a Rhino or a JSF, with all of its potential teething problems?

(I realize that this is largely academic with only one FRS flying the JSF at the moment)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I think the good Lt. Col (Ret) underestimates the ability of forces to operate from austere forward bases.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Just curious what jet guys in the fleet would choose if you were given a choice between flying a Rhino or a -35C? It sounds like the ISR systems on the JSF are pretty nice, at least from the stuff that's out in the public domain. But given a choice with your current knowledge of the airframes would you pick a Rhino or a JSF, with all of its potential teething problems?

(I realize that this is largely academic with only one FRS flying the JSF at the moment)

Rule: Never fly the -A model of anything

Last edited:

jackjack

As you would know, you may get the F-35 'magic carpet' system sooner than some think. It should be loaded on a F/A-18 EF? now and scheduled to be on the deck in Feb.
About 2.5 minutes into the video is the landing sim

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'd take a Rhino with all the toys any day, at least until F35C has overcome its growing pains. Heck, I'd even take a Charlie with -402 motors, HMD, and a 73 radar.

Honestly, I'd hate to be the MO or OPSO of an early F-35 squadron... Maintenance sounds like a nightmare, and I can't even imagine the scrutiny they will be under.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Pilots that have been read into the program say F-35 is lightyears ahead of SH. That sentiment is unanimous among pilots in the know. We just don't know enough information since we don't need to know. All we know is bad press. Some of it (acquisition/testing/etc.) is deserved.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
As you would know, you may get the F-35 'magic carpet' system sooner than some think. It should be loaded on a F/A-18 EF? now and scheduled to be on the deck in Feb.
About 2.5 minutes into the video is the landing sim
Looks like a great system...I'm sure they won't let you use it until at least your DH tour.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Looks like a great system...I'm sure they won't let you use it until at least your DH tour.

yeah no doubt. stan in my airwing (or maybe it was just my squadron) was first cruise guys = no autos, no mode 1's. Since that was my first and only cruise during my JO tour, I have never flown an auto pass and I honestly don't even know how to engage or fly (procedurally speaking) a mode 1.

I'd be this does not become the "norm" for a long time if ever

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Autos = Crack.

Mode 1 = Crack when I feel like being lazy at night.

Some of that instantaneous lift without throttle movement stuff seems pretty cool and very useful.

I think a lot of the comparisons between JSF and the F-18 are being done by dudes with no experience in Block 2 Super Hornets. You could say a lot 33 Rhino is light years ahead of a lot 13 Charlie too. Obviously with time comes new and better technology but the Rhino isn't done either. I would love to see an airwing with Advanced Super Hornets and a smattering of JSF.