• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Did they tell us why the canopy was open?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think that's the door to the lift fan. The canopy hinge is towards the nose of the aircraft.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Did they tell us why the canopy was open?

Fog, I think that's the door for the auxiliary lift fan.

Speaking of lift fans, I wonder how these will stack up for noise compared to the rest of green air. That is, for anyone whose stateroom is right underneath the flight deck :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's supposed to be 30% or so louder than the AV-8B. "They say" it actually exceeds safety standards even with double hearing protection.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I think that's the door to the lift fan. The canopy hinge is towards the nose of the aircraft.

Duh . . . Thanks. If all else fails, look carefully. Thanks to Jim123 also.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
As cool as that is... I can't help but think how much closer to on budget and time it would have been had that variant never been part of the procurement process from the start.

jmcquate

Contributor
Is it me or does that look like a lot of rotation on STO? It looks like the that thing is going to tail strike everytime. Pretty awesome!

Hopefuly the big brains at Lockheed and Pax River have thought that through. On an other question, Will the B launch and recover covetionaly on a runway?

yodaears

pilot
Hopefuly the big brains at Lockheed and Pax River have thought that through. On an other question, Will the B launch and recover covetionaly on a runway?

I'm sure it will be similar to the harrier in that in can recover ashore however the pilot wants or as conditions dictate.