• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

jmcquate

Contributor
Stupid question that's probably been asked before... why don't you guys have the ski jump? Would it be helpful?

Not sure if my question has been asked asked before, if it has, my apologies. A "Ski-Jump" eats alot of LHD flight deck space and (Harrier Guys Corrrect Me) The AV-B can opertate just fine without it.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
At the risk of showing my age & irrelevance again, doesn't a Harrier or -B JSF significantly reduce its combat range if it launches vertically w/ a weapons load? Wouldn't it, therefore, be cost-effective to have the ski-jump to allow greater attack-mode range for the F-35B? Wouldn't that off-set the lost deck space for helos in terms of the overall capability of the LHA/LHD platform? Expiring minds want to know.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
What's shown in the video is a short takeoff, not a vertical takeoff. A ski jump would probably help, but I think that battle has already been fought.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
At the risk of showing my age & irrelevance again, doesn't a Harrier or -B JSF significantly reduce its combat range if it launches vertically w/ a weapons load? Wouldn't it, therefore, be cost-effective to have the ski-jump to allow greater attack-mode range for the F-35B? Wouldn't that off-set the lost deck space for helos in terms of the overall capability of the LHA/LHD platform? Expiring minds want to know.

We rarely/never do vertical takeoffs with ordnance. In fact, we rarely do VTOs at all.

Short Takeoffs (STOs) are the normal takeoff on the ship. They would be enormously helped by a skijump, but as already noted, that would kill 2-3 chopper spots.

I have taken off at MGW from an LHD in the gulf in the summer, so we don't "have to" have the skijump. It would be a safer "nice to have".

All this certainly applies to the F-35B.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Looks like all that ACM training is a waste of the taxpayer's money because.......“Turning at the merge can lead to disaster….with DAS, the F-35 has the option to simply exit the fight and let it’s missiles do the turning”. No more turning at the merge please boys.

jtmedli

pilot
Looks like all that ACM training is a waste of the taxpayer's money because.......“Turning at the merge can lead to disaster….with DAS, the F-35 has the option to simply exit the fight and let it’s missiles do the turning”. No more turning at the merge please boys.

Sounds familiar...kind of like what they said about the F-4 and OTH missile shooting.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I'm sure the reliability rate on DAS will be over 90% - and you'd better hope that all the advertised functions perform perfectly all the time. It'd be a shitter if the IR functions at 40% w/out your knowing it and you got smoked by a dude or missile you never saw.