• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
That article is kind of confusing...is the visor supposed to have NVD capabilities, or are the helmets supposed to work with ANVIS-9? If the helmets are supposed to workd with ANVIS-9, what's the problem with the original helmet in the first place?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
That article is kind of confusing...is the visor supposed to have NVD capabilities, or are the helmets supposed to work with ANVIS-9? If the helmets are supposed to workd with ANVIS-9, what's the problem with the original helmet in the first place?

The new helmet/visor replaces NVGs.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
They aren't coding it in the software, e.g. no symbology, no ccip/auto designate, no delivery computations. The gun stuff will be there but the ability to roll in to deliver dumb bombs won't be. That's not to say it couldn't be added later, I suppose (assuming it's not bad gouge in the first place). Apparently the doors for the internal bay won't be stressed for a dive delivery but there will still be the wing stores option.

If it was just a matter of saving time by avoiding all the release testing that would make some sense. I don't see how the doors wouldn't be stressed for a dive delivery. If the door can't hold up to a 500 kt dive, how would that affect limitations of air to air releases out of the same doors?

Flying Toaster

None
F-35C number two online-

Some footage I hadn't seen before, including the wings unfolding.

Various pics of CF-02-

2011_CF02_FL02_20900PR_1267828237_6715.jpg

2011_F35C_F11_20219_1267828237_3272.jpg

On the non B models, what exactly is the continuation or budge behind the canopy for? LO? Avionics?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not sure which one I saw (thinking probably the F-35A), but one flew right underneath me in the R2508 last week.....had a Viper chase in tow. Pretty cool to see in the air

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I also saw a F-35A w/ Viper in a trail about 2 months ago. They seem to fly them pretty often. That or Joshua REALLY cares about telling everyone they are out there (probably good since I doubt I'll get a brick on it anyways).

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I would guess APU exhaust with an access door to the APU right in front of it. Makes no sense to put a dump valve on top of the plane.
While I'm fairly sure it's an APU exhaust...

You do realize ALL of the Hornets dump fuel from the very top of the Vert Stab?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......You do realize ALL of the Hornets dump fuel from the very top of the Vert Stab?

That I didn't know, learn something new every day.......but the port/exhaust/hole on the F-35 is on top of the fuselage and right before the engine, very bad place to put a fuel dump, hence my deduction.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
navairc3%20(3).JPG

The rectangular box just above the rudder (below the RWR/nav light/etc) is the exit for the fuel dump. The intake is outboard on both rudders, same height just further forward.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I also saw a F-35A w/ Viper in a trail about 2 months ago. They seem to fly them pretty often. That or Joshua REALLY cares about telling everyone they are out there (probably good since I doubt I'll get a brick on it anyways).

For a moment I thought "hey I don't have enough paperwork to do already, I should take an STT on them" but then I didnt

Flying Toaster

None
While I'm fairly sure it's an APU exhaust...

You do realize ALL of the Hornets dump fuel from the very top of the Vert Stab?

That explains....

flaps said:
At this point I thought it would probably be a good idea to start dumping some gas. As my hand reached down for the dump switch I actually remembered that we have a NATOPS prohibition regarding dumping while in burner. After a second or two I decided, "hell with that" and turned them on. I was later told I had a 60 foot roman candle going.