• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Yankee Uniform Tango
Interesting:

The commandant confirmed that the Marines were looking at buying some F-35Cs, the carrier variant, to keep their hands in on carrier operations. Amos said it wasn’t clear yet whether F-35Bs will operate from carriers, which is almost certain to be the result of the combination of great thrust and heat from the plane’s engines, something that has worried testers for some time. The Marines have been making modifications to the plane’s power plant that are supposed to ameliorate the problem, but Amos’ comments today seem to indicate they are not confident in whether they will work. Amos did not offer any numbers.

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2011/03/08/im-optimistic-on-f-35b-gen-amos/

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Do you have a reference or link? I haven't heard this except by speculation.

It was broadcast live, I was watching it on MarinesTV. I'm sure there will be a transcript of the hearing/news coverage shortly.

Well- Cron beat me to it.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Watching Sectary Mabus, Adm Roughhead and Gen Amos testify to the Senate Arms Services Committee. Gen Amos confirmed that the plan is that Marines will fly the C model F-35 and be part of the CVW to a level that we do now with our Hornets.
:thumbup_1 APPLAUSE

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
here's a juicy rumor that I heard today from an unclass discussion ... the F-35B isn't being designed to do roll-ins; it will be level laydown only.

Just a rumor though, could be bad gouge.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
here's a juicy rumor that I heard today from an unclass discussion ... the F-35B isn't being designed to do roll-ins; it will be level laydown only.

Is that because you can "see" through the pan of your ejection seat & the floor of your jet with the new helmet mounted display/targetting system & sensor suite?

I overheard one of the JSF test pilots at SETP (Society of Expermintal Test Pilots) couple years ago talking about plans to make the canopy brow digitally "disappear" using special effects magic in the helmet mounted display system so that they can see right "through" it, without it blocking the view.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

What would the jet lack that would make it incapable of doing roll-ins?

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
590px-F-35_Helmet_Mounted_Display_System.jpg

I woke up next to a girl (i think) that looked like this and sawed my arm off to get out...
Seriously, I saw this and tried to find more information. There is probably a post of in on here somewhere, anyone know anything about it actually being fielded, realistic etc?

Hum it's LCD, wonder why they didn't get a samsung LED model

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant

A fixed HUD with gunsight that looks down the boresight (pardon the rhyme).
But, if that were the case, then guns would not be employable either since
they are not "smart" guided weapons either &
they should only in one direction. Just sayin'...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I woke up next to a girl (i think) that looked like this and sawed my arm off to get out...
Seriously, I saw this and tried to find more information. There is probably a post of in on here somewhere, anyone know anything about it actually being fielded, realistic etc?

It's in testing along with the JSF but they are having issues and Lockheed is looking for a back-up.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot

They aren't coding it in the software, e.g. no symbology, no ccip/auto designate, no delivery computations. The gun stuff will be there but the ability to roll in to deliver dumb bombs won't be. That's not to say it couldn't be added later, I suppose (assuming it's not bad gouge in the first place). Apparently the doors for the internal bay won't be stressed for a dive delivery but there will still be the wing stores option.