• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Phantom309

Mutha Squadron = coolest name ever. I've been reading up on it, and looking for more information. Is that something I could share on my blog or is that an inside thing? I would love to tell it's story

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Mutha Squadron = coolest name ever. I've been reading up on it, and looking for more information. Is that something I could share on my blog or is that an inside thing? I would love to tell it's story

He was out and about in the oclub yesterday afternoon, with his glass of whiskey. I don't think there is anything inside or secret about it.....some astronaut took him to space in the Shuttle a couple years back.

jmcquate

Contributor
He was out and about in the oclub yesterday afternoon, with his glass of whiskey. I don't think there is anything inside or secret about it.....some astronaut took him to space in the Shuttle a couple years back.
103 has her....right?

Renegade One

None
Pretty long story, as best I can recollect. Started with the west-coast F-8 squadrons...the west coast Crusader RAG was (then) VF-124. Trophy was intended to be awarded to the community squadron that evidenced the best "fighter spirit"...which was deemed to be a laudable trait in its own right...at that time.

When 124 transitioned to F-14s in the early 1970s, "Mutha" tradition went along with it, and it became a west-coast Tomcat thing. Same rules. ROLEX ahead 20+ years to about 1996, when I think "Fightertown USA" (NAS Miramar) was BRACed to MCAS Miramar, and the F-14 FRS role went "single site" to NAS Oceana's VF-101...who assumed the "Mutha" mantle/traditions. ROLEX ahead ANOTHER 10 years, and the Tomcat Sunset (2006) required a "pass down" of the "Mutha Trophy" and the traditions to the Oceana-based VFA FRS. Something like that...

Would be cool if it could continue somewhere in the coming years, but it may go the way of the Collier and Bendix Trophies, and the Navy's annual "Admiral Clifton Award" (for the Navy's best fighter squadron...however that was measured back in the day).

Anyone know if any of those "awards" are still active or "held" by a current squadron and/or any other entity? I don't...

Phantom309

Renegade One....I agree from what I've read of it--it sounds like an awesome story. I hope it doesn't fall by the way side, same goes for the "Admiral Clifton Award". Reminds of the Air Force's William Tell competition, they haven't hosted of them since 2007. The only reason they did one then because it was the 50th anniversary.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
F35B-1.jpg

F35B2.jpg

U.S. Marines, Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252, assist Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501 in an aerial refueling on F-35B Lighting II aircrafts, Fla., Oct. 2, 2012. This was the first aerial refueling training flight to be performed on F-35B aircrafts. (DoD photo by Sgt. Gabriela Garcia, U.S. Marine Corps/Released)