• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

KBayDog

With modern engine reliability, I think it's a lot less necessary than it used to be. Also, it's inherently more efficient to have one big engine, vice two smaller ones.

The only downside of one engine vs. two is that the existence of single-engine aircraft is the only thing preventing Otto from his daily delivery of SEALS into unimproved zones while on fire.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The only downside of one engine vs. two is that the existence of single-engine aircraft is the only thing preventing Otto from his daily delivery of SEALS into unimproved zones while on fire.

I'm sorry. I just saw this. Fill me in, since I'm too obtuse and uninterested to interpret your meaning. ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The A-4 and A-7 were SE, and each served for 20-30 years in the fleet.s.

4,000+ hours in A-4s (J-65 & J-52), 1 engine failure, (man caused - flak). A 2nd engine would not have saved the aircraft as it was engulfed in fire. Never thought much about a second engine. It was second nature: Restart attempt(s)...flameout approach if practical/authorized... or ejection.

Never was confronted with that evil, devilish "3-engine approach"!
BzB, just trapped on RANGER 11/59 Family Day Cruise (note "pumpkin" flight suit of that era)
11.06.59 Hugh Magee CVA-61.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Until they both quit - then I learned to REALLY appreciate each of them.

In 2003 I had about 100 hours in the Chariot of Electronic Armegeddon. One engine quit on a low level, the other quit with WonW at KSKA (thanks to the USAF for ridiculously long runways). I suppose you could say that second engine lasted just long enough? For my money, 2 > 1 :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Anything less than 4 is inherently unsafe, and therefore absurd. I refuse to fly the P-8, not enough redundancy for this cat.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Reminds me of the lex fences on the legacy hornet. They didn't figure out about the vertical stab cracks until lots of a/c had been produced.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Wonder Jet of the Future has a lot of problems...having one less engine than it oughta hardly tops the list.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Pax.jpg

F35BPax.jpg

120222-O-GR159-002 NAVAL AIR STATION PATUXENT RIVER, Md. (Feb. 22, 2012) Lockheed Martin test pilot Dan Levin flies F-35B test aircraft BF-2 with external weapons pylons for the first time. The test measured flying qualities with external pylons, inert AIM-9X Sidewinder air-to-air missiles and centerline 25 mm gun pod. The F-35B is the U.S. Marine Corps variant of the Joint Strike Fighter, capable of short takeoffs and vertical landings for use on amphibious ships or expeditionary airfields to provide air power to the Marine Air-Ground Task Force. The F-35B is undergoing test and evaluation at NAS Patuxent River before delivery to the fleet. (U.S. Navy photo courtesy of Lockheed Martin by Andy Wolfe/Released)