• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-22 Grounded

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
problem plagued, over budget, behind schedule,cold war relic, yada, yada, yada...

this ain't never happend before..
:sleep_125

are they using something simalar to OBOGS?

Flying Toaster

None
are they using something simalar to OBOGS?

Yup, they are using are using OBOGS. The 25k restriction started after the incident up at Elmendorf. It wasn't brought up in this article, but another mentioned a pilot clipped the trees and claimed he didn't remember anything.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=LMT:US&sid=aO96CZ4zS6k8

The pilot “scraped the underside of the aircraft on trees during a landing approach,” said the e-mail. “The pilot does not recall the incident and is being treated for physiological symptoms,” the e-mail to Congress said.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OBOGS = Best idea ever! This F'd system is a problem in other aircraft as well. This is THE system that will kill you quickly and you'll never see it coming.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
From a pilot perspective LOX is much better without a doubt, however the storage and handling of LOX is a dangerous business which was one of the driving factors for the creating of OBOGS. Personally I feel that OBOGS is a fantastic idea, but it simply isn't ready until they can accurately monitor the quality of the O2 it is providing. Unfortunately I agree with EODDave as it stands right now though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
OBOGS never worried me in the T-45, but it definitely has in the Hornet.....most of our jets are LOX though

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Naval Aviation identified OBOGS as an insidious and treacherous killer a long time ago, and there is a lot of awareness in house about it, but I'm not sure it is getting it's due outside of the squadrons and safety center. Now that Congress's pet birdy is suffering the same problems perhaps it will get a closer look.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Just fly slower, stay below 10K, learn how to hover, and you never have to worry about any of it!

We have it in our MEDEVAC helicopters too. We weren't allowed to use it for patients until about 6 months ago due to the percieved lack of oxygen quality. After further investigation it turns out our brand new HH-60Ms can produce medical quality oxygen onboard.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From a buddy of mine:

Air Force grounds F-22. Airshows hardest hit.

As someone who's flown into a bunch of airshows with the F-22, I thought it quite apropos.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
What are the odds that whatever "'fix" is in the works for the F-22 will trickle down the Hornets/Rhinos.