• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-22 Grounded

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
The T-45 OBOGS has a solid state oxygen monitor that trips the warning light below 95% O2, but the supply is generally at something like 99%. In addition to N2 the molecular seives also pull out CO2 and H2O which account for the higher partial pressure of remaining O2 that the people are wondering about.

Also in the T45, you'll get an O2 light at ground idle occasionally, and always if you have the flow on and mask off. It's never a problem unless the light doesn't go out when you run the engine up.

I remember reading an Approach article a loooong time ago about a Tomcat with a single hardover rudder. They were able to keep control of the jet with asymetric thrust. The problem was that they didn't have enough LOX to go BINGO profile back home, but they didn't have enough fuel to stay low back home. I always think about this story when I think about LOX.

Sounds like they took off with too little LOX. That whole Swiss cheese thing.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
It isn't the 3710 answer, but it's how you execute the mission with minimal risk given resources

You have been in Miramar too long. You are starting to sound like a Marine.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Well, on the good side, when I asked the F-22 guys here to set up a static display for a visiting JMSDF delegation...they were happy to help!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
the T-6 natops states that max concentration on the OBOGS gives 95% oxygen, 5% inert gas....whatever the hell that means. We are also prone to the fail warning if the mask is off with supply on.

that's the zeolite dust that's going to slowly kill us...