• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 for sale..... bids anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm . . . trying to decide whether to raise the BS flag or not I suppose I'm really not in a position to know. Seems pretty fishy though.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
yeah... I'm sure it's a joke... Why would there be brand new engines with zero hours? Also... seems like the engines alone would be worth more than a $1 mil. Also, I'm sure there are lots of ways civilians can get type ratings in an F-18... wait.... nevermind.

I just thought I'd spur some conversation :)

erabe07

Patmack18 -

Yeah, I vaguely remember the F-16 for sale, but wasn't it being sold with no avionics and no engine? Anyways I don't think anyone ever bought it. Its gotta be fake, otherwise they could have gotten much more from a 'reputable' auction or buyer off the internet. If I was filthy rich I'd easily go more then a mil for an F-18.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's say you HAVE the million and change it takes to win this auction. How much more cash is it going to take to find an instructor with the proper version of the hornet (ie 2 seats)? Then you'll also need 1000 or so hours to get the FAA letter to drive this monster. If you check out his other auctions, this bubba also has a Huey for sale, without the rotor head or blades... Crazy world we live in.. It's good he's only selling to United States residents, or I'd really be worried..

Rugger

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
not only that, but can you imigane the upkeep it takes to fly that, let alone the cost in gas!!

Sins

Blue Angel for sale Navy plane shows up on eBay Nicole Lozare @PensacolaNewsJournal.com After almost 50,000 hits in two days, no one is buying what Mike Landa is selling on eBay. Everyone just wants to know how he acquired the Navy Blue Angels' F/A-18 Hornet. Landa and Associates of Washington state is selling the jet for $1,050,000 - some assembly required. It's a bargain compared to the jet's usual $18 million price tag. A former Blue Angel F-18 Hornet is for sale on ebay. Click here to view the sale. "It has been acquired legitimately," said Landa, who said he was visited by the FBI on Tuesday, a day after he posted the jet on the popular Internet auction site. Landa, an aircraft and telecommunications broker, is keeping a tight lip on the owner's identity. He met the owner in California while purchasing airplane parts. Wednesday afternoon, Blue Angels spokesman Mike Blankenship confirmed the aircraft's heritage. "According to the bureau number, it was a Blue Angels plane flown in the early '90s," said Blankenship, who has no clue how Landa acquired it. "It was stricken from the Navy's inventory in 1994." According to the Department of Defense, the Navy's planes are not usually sold to private citizens. When an aircraft is retired, officials determine if it should be kept for wartime reserves. If the aircraft doesn't pass muster, it is demilitarized - military insignia and sensitive equipment, such as ejection seats, are removed. The aircraft is then sent to a boneyard. "The Navy has programs where this aircraft is leased to museums," said department spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Cappy Surette. "Occasionally, it can be sold to third parties on a case-by-case basis. But Navy policy prohibits reselling of these aircrafts." The official word on eBay's Blue Angels jet? "We are aware, and the matter is being looked into," Surette said. Officials at the National Museum of Naval Aviation had the same response. Landa's eBay site claims the aircraft was "never demilled, not cut ever," and comes with bomb racks, drop tanks and pylons. The aircraft, which has not been flown in years, is stored in California. Landa said there must have been "a screw up" for the owner to acquire a demilitarized aircraft. He is optimistic that a buyer will step up _ probably a private collector who he hopes to talk into leasing the aircraft back to the government for some photography work. Landa has a pretty clean eBay record. A member since 1998, he has a 97.3 percent positive feedback from more than 400 buyers. But the Blue Angels jet is just small potatoes. Landa is also selling a new aircraft "that climbs straight up" for $10 million.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
This guy seems to have all sorts of tricks up his sleeve.... I have no idea how he does it. Not only has the price gone up to $26 mil.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896

...but he also has a MIG-29....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078910291

... and says he has an F-16 coming soon.

All he has to do is aquire some weapons off the black market, and he could take over some small countries with that arsenal. CRAZY STUFF

Sins

Current bid: US $99,999,999.00

Time left: 2 days 13 hours
7-day listing
Ends Feb-19-04 13:56:59 PST
Add to Calendar
History: 264 bids (US $1,050,000.00 starting bid)
High bidder: hockeymann2( 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.