• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-15 HUD engine Fire

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Could be a repost, but I came across this. Nothing to Monday morning about here, just something you can watch and then say to yourself, without having the helmet fire of your life, "When would I have thrown in the towel?" or "What would I (we) have done different"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8df_1205185501

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We need those HUD cameras...work even when thrown from the jet.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Good professional job by that F-15 driver. Guess the fire burned through his brake lines (?), so they had to punch-out on the runway.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Could be a repost, but I came across this. Nothing to Monday morning about here, just something you can watch and then say to yourself, without having the helmet fire of your life, "When would I have thrown in the towel?" or "What would I (we) have done different"

Neat video. Big Balls. Good on him.

For my two cents.

*"If fire indications positive - eject"

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Left side is the airspeed.

Yes, and he touched-down at 250 kts - maybe he just couldn't get it stopped? But then Whiteman is an AFB, so they all have 15,000 ft of runway, right?! I guess this gives an entirely new meaning to landing hot !!!

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I'll take a 0 knot ejection at 1800 feet over a 180 knot ejection at 0 feet anyday. Good learning points, lots of stuff could have gone better... If the jets totaled, and he is ok (minus some new skivies) what was the point of landing the broke bitch???? ... nice crew coord (given time permited and severity). If I landed at 250, blew my tires, smoked my brakes and sent the jet flipping off the runway after I was done with it each and every time I lost a motor or had recockulous flames shooting out of one I don't think I'd have wings on.
Arm chair QBing complete, wasn't there... but rode the hero/goat line more than once. Better lucky than good.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Having an engine fire on an aircraft with one engine makes EP so much easier. But back to the F-15, I'm not sure but the hud video made it look like it wasn't too populated there which probably had an impact on staying with the aircraft.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Good professional job by that F-15 driver. Guess the fire burned through his brake lines (?), so they had to punch-out on the runway.

Which is why the boldface in the Hornet is to throw the hook down after recognition of engine fire and always take a trap single engine...

"Get out, get out, get out?" If only there was one specific word for him to use to advise his lead to pull the handle and thus employ the rocket-powered seat he was strapped too... until we invent such a word "Get out" will have to do...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I'm not an ejection seat guy, I've gotta ride it in no matter what (or bail out...), but this guy seemed to have all his sh!t in one sock. He was cool and calm - though you could tell his stress level was building as he was coming into land, i'd like to have seen his heart rate. He wanted to try and save the plane, that's pretty cool.

Dunno what I would have done, again, not an ejection seat guy. With exception of a wrong rudder EFAR, not much happens fast in a P-3.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
"When would I have thrown in the towel?" or "What would I (we) have done different?"

DON'T hyperventilate, so as to make it known to your buddies you are the coolest m-f'er on the planet, after your HUD tape survives an engine fire and post-landing ejection/runway overrun scenario... heh

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Had a second look... hand this Mishap to Grandpa Pettibone!
7600' 440kts....ok, working throttle better be at idle, s/b better be out.
3500' 430kts.. at the initial... scared, better shut em both down now were getting wwwwwaaay to close to the field and have ludicrus smack.
1500' 380kts... gear speed in beefy geared tomcat was 280 (for doors)... 195? tire speed... I see a light in the tunnel.... hear a train...
800' 375kts... gear down, shit.... its a train and Im chained to the track.
ouch.

Precautionary Approach profile for single engine jets keeps you in the ejection envelope, is modifyable to intercept pert-nar anywhere in the profile AND gets you on deck ASAP (in a semicontrolable manner)...

If a PA profile for this two engined jet did exist (aren't you a single engine jet when one goes tits up?) I'm pretty sure this guy was nowhere in the BALLPARK. If he woulda punched at 430 at 3500 around the initial it would have f***ng hurt (not that they all don't, from what I've heard). KSZL is 12,500 feet long. No Flap, riding rims with a touchdown around 250 this dude had no chance. Wingman is more worried bout vectors to home plate than wingman gear up at 1 mile and 380kts??? WTF.

Armchair diagnosis (For the zelcho its worth, throw a thousand of us in the sim and see how it turns out).... ACUTE GETONDECKITIS, understandable, but doesn't make one a hero in this case, its a rough buisness.... goat.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
For all the boat guys, I was continually thinking "what if this had happened in CVOA-4" or anywhere for that matter? Do you stay with it and try to divert? Do you ask for an emergency pull forward and bring the flaming bitch aboard? Good discussion points.