• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expedia, USAA, and disputes.....advice?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Be warned....this is wordy....

Anyway, gents, had a bit of an issue trying to book tickets to go home for the holidays, and I'm wondering if anyone else here has BTDT with any advice to give.

Background:

Purchased tickets to fly home for the holidays last month when I got the verbal ok for my requested leave. Paid maybe a little bit more than I wanted (around $760 for the wife and I), but whatever.

Unfortunately, I found out fairly quickly afterwards, that due to watch standing needs and skeds leave policy, that my requested dates weren't in fact going to work. Not wanting to make the same mistake twice (ie jumping the gun), I waited until the watch schedule came out, and then eventually got my revised leave dates approved at the end of last week. Here is where things got stupid.....

Called up expedia (the folks I had originally booked with), and asked about changing my ticket itenerary. They let me know the airline fees would apply, and that it would also cost the difference in ticket prices. So I had the woman check out the totals, to make a decision. I also asked about just cancelling the itenerary altogether, and repurchasing. She played that one down, and made it sound like we would basically pay the same or more doing that (hindsight being 20/20, this is exactly what we should have done). Anyway, she looked up the prices, and while I was kind of shocked at how much more we would pay, I just kind of took it as the price of doing business this late. There were some "technical difficulties" on her end which involved me sitting on hold for about an hour, and when she got back, surprise, the prices had again gone up. By then I was tired, pissed off, and also tired of having to repeat myself so she could understand me (not a native English speaker to say the least). Got them changed to the tune of $540. So total cost thus far, $1300. Throughout this, the woman had explained that they just check ticket prices online, and then use this for their cost comparison to compute the total.

Meanwhile, wifey had been on the computer, looking at prices for the same flights and same airlines and found that the entire round trip could be purchased for both of us for around $400. Wow, that was pretty hard to hear. If nothing else, they should have not charged us anything more than the airline fees, since the prices had obviously gone DOWN, not up, and certainly not up in the hour or two I was on the phone with the rep.

So, I called expedia back, and tried to complain, and maybe talk to someone who could think clearly and maybe realize the ridiculousness of the situation. This would be to no avail, as their "customer service" dept is clearly set up to do exactly the opposite, leading you to folks who know very little, and aren't even capable of making any decisions.

I was ready to just cut my losses, and call it a day, until the wifey decided she needed to go ahead and work on making reservations for our puppy to fly along with us. After being told it would cost $300 to make that happen (fees for 2 different airlines), I had pretty much had enough. I'm not paying $1500 to fly from CA to OR, when I could buy those tickets today for less than 1/3 of that.

So, at this point, I am realizing that these "service fees" are ludicrous....the only "service" I got involved making things more expensive, more inconvenient, more stressful, and locked me into paying even more money for all the other odds and ends that would be required of our trip. In short, I don't really care what they think they are owed, and I want my money back in full. A customer should have the right to say, hey this isn't working out, I want my money back and I will take my business elsewhere since you are no help at all.

I called USAA today, and talked with them. As a stark contrast to expedia, they are some of the best customer service folks I have ever dealt with, and were more than happy to help. Sounds like my best course of action is working with the disputes department to get it taken care of.

Anyway, my question is what you all think, and if anyone has been here before and worked things out. Am I crazy? Overly entitled? Should I just give up and take it? Do I have any legal recourse I can take? I feel like I am a reasonably intelligent person, and while I am not an expert in traveling, I shouldn't be punished @ $1000 for not being intimately familiar with what I was getting into. Part of it is that I'm a JG, supporting my wife and I, living in socal, and we don't have thousands of $$'s to throw at air travel for the holidays. But the bigger issue is the principle. I can't think of this any other way than having been scammed, and they have provided less than no help in resolving the issue to an acceptable end.

/rant. Thoughts? Mods, if this violates your legal guidelines, feel free to remove, but I figured maybe there are others here who have had this happen, and at least many of us are USAA folks.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I had a similar problem when I purchased tickets on Continental.com and I was unable to take the vacation. All I did was contact Continental, and I was issued a full refund (sort of) on my tickets. My tickets were refunded as a continental credit, so I would have to purchase another flight on Continental, which I don't see as a problem.

If your purchase was within the past seven days, you should be able to get a full refund, again, a situation which I experienced on Continental. (starting to see a trend here?) If I were you, I would try contacting the airline directly to see if their customer service is any better. You can explain to them the situation and possibly get a refund on part of your trip. I don't often suggest playing the "Military Card," but sometimes it can work to your advantage if you're shameless. Long story short, keep talking with someone until you get what you want. Everyone reports to someone, so find out who their supervisor is. I would absolutely bitch, moan, and complain (constructively of course) until I got what I wanted. You're a paying customer and ought to be treated as such.

m26

Contributor
I thought of this article reading through that:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64483-2005Jan10.html

Off the top of my head, I would think you could also go to BBB to complain. Legally, nothing springs to mind except fraud, or something similar (if she led you to believe that doing it her way would cost the same). I'm not familiar with torts like that in practice, but I can't imagine that would go well. A lawyer would be able to point you in a better direction.

I've done the dispute thing (not with USAA, though), and if you signed off on it I'd expect you to be charged, even if you were misled.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Lesson to learn here.....Don't drop close to a thousand dollars for tickets on a "verbal" approval. Lol :icon_tong Seriously tho, I do that shit almost every year (12 years now) and I know its a chance I take. As far as the Exp/USAA thing....I use expedia all the time and tho I have never tried it I was under the impression they will match any price if found after the purchase. With USAA and a dispute......sounds a little "shady" to me to dispute a charge you did authorize even if they are willing to overturn it. I'd work on the expedia route. Just my $0.02 Good luck dude. Merry Christmas :icon_smil

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
My 2 cents...

Online fares, especially through Expedia et al tend to be the most restricted fares out there. In reality, the only recourse when you've purchased your tickets is to repurchase them, not pay the difference in tickets. BTW, using kayak.com is a lot better if you're looking for cheapest fares regardless of airline. May also want to purchase a more flexible fare option through the airline itself.

I've been in the same spot as you. Purchased a ticket for the wrong day in my case. Called expedia and was told that I had Z fare type or the like and was told I need to repurchase the ticket.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Lesson to learn here.....Don't drop close to a thousand dollars for tickets on a "verbal" approval. Lol

Got lucky myself with that this year: $900 in tickets and 55,000 in air miles for the wife and I to go round-trip Pcola to Oregon; All based on me guessing which dates I'd have available...worked out, but felt like I won the lottery when I got my approved chit! :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's not paying some money to change the tickets that I object to......yeah, I was half expecting that, and yeah it was dumb to buy them before I had the leave in writing. What transpired while changing the itenerary is what angers me. The woman, in my opinion, misled me as to what the best course of action would be, and I ended up paying far more doing what I did than if I had just cancelled, taken the credit, and repurchased (that would have allowed me to break even). I realized the mistake I had made before I was even off the phone with her, and when I said I wanted to forget changing the reservation and go ahead and cancel, she just said there was nothing she could do....the transaction had been made. BS, and had I known at the time that they allow refunds w/n 24 hrs of purchase, I would have called her on it. So I am fine with resetting to the original reservations, and then cnx'ing them, and a repurchase at an appropriate price. We'll see if this happens. Overall, I'm just really frustrated with their lack of customer service, the sense that they are being shady, and the way that they really don't give you any good way to evaluate your options.....hell, any time I asked for a price quote, it involved being put on hold for a minimum of 15 mins while she "checked manually"....I can't comprehend how it should take that long, if they are just double checking the prices online.....how hard is it to do a quick subtraction on a calculator, and then add it to the $150 fee.

As for being shady myself in this.....I really could care less at this point. Had they been a reasonable business, given me contact to someone who knew what they were doing (and who was there to help rather than hinder), or at the very minimum, feigned interest in my situation and talked to me like an educated human being, I probably would have brushed it off. Like I said, I'm in it for the principle now, and I feel no obligation to give a penny to a company who is so unwilling to help or even listen to my issue. At this point, I refuse to give them another dollar of my business, and I can't get from here to there (home that is) without doing so.

m26

Contributor
I don't often suggest playing the "Military Card," but sometimes it can work to your advantage if you're shameless.

Shameless? I can't see any reason not to play that card when your problem is a legitimate one cause by military life.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Shameless? I can't see any reason not to play that card when your problem is a legitimate one cause by military life.

I mentioned it, and according to them, United has a policy to not accomodate changes based on military affiliation and issues. No idea if this is true or not, but that was a dead end anyway.

Bottom line, I bought 2 x tickets at $330 a piece. There is a $150 charge/traveler to change itenerary. Then you pay the difference in ticket price. When my wife looked online through United to check the current price (while I was on the phone w/ expedia), the current price for same flights/airline was $200 ($150 less than original cost). This did not change after double checking several times in that hour. So, assuming that the $150 airline reservation change fee is valid (which I don't even trust at this point given some other stories I've heard now), I should have paid an extra $300 total since the overall price had dropped. Instead I paid $540, which accounted for the "difference in ticket price". While I don't expect them to credit me back the difference in price (though it would technically be correct), I certainly wouldn't expect to be charged for a price difference that doesn't actually exist. And at the very least, the woman could have communicated that it would have been cheaper to cancel, repurchase using airline ticket credit, and be on my way. Instead she indicated that it would be more expensive.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't often suggest playing the "Military Card," but sometimes it can work to your advantage if you're shameless. Long story short, keep talking with someone until you get what you want. Everyone reports to someone, so find out who their supervisor is. I would absolutely bitch, moan, and complain (constructively of course) until I got what I wanted. You're a paying customer and ought to be treated as such.

Unfortunately the only "supervisor" I was able to contact was some woman in India. I have a suspicion that it was likely the person in the next cubicle next to my agent. Same stonewalling, and not friendly at all. I also doubt anyone in India cares if I am a US servicemember :)

Between this, coming down with a nasty cold, and having good reason in the last few days to suspect being targeted for a home invasion (or burglary), I am now an ORM nightmare. Happy....

Reactions: m26

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately the only "supervisor" I was able to contact was some woman in India. I have a suspicion that it was likely the person in the next cubicle next to my agent. Same stonewalling, and not friendly at all. I also doubt anyone in India cares if I am a US servicemember :)

Between this, coming down with a nasty cold, and having good reason in the last few days to suspect being targeted for a home invasion (or burglary), I am now an ORM nightmare. Happy....

Did you try contacting United directly? They may be able to accommodate you better than Expedia did. Especially if you receive a sympathetic American employee. Tell them about your Indian nightmare, and you may have some good luck.

1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) <---- 24hr customer service number.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Expedia, et al ... can suck "it". Whatever that means ... :)

A few years ago, I booked a hotel room in a 5-star HNL hotel for a couple of days prior to my scheduled 12 day Orient trip ... just 'cause I wanted to ...

My SEATAC flight 'ate it' and went down for maintenance problems ... so I had to stay in SEA overnight and move on the next day ...

I called Expedia and told them the story ... they said 'sorry' (I would get tabbed for the first -- the AWOL day --- and that's the way it was ... ). I asked them: well, what would happen if my airplane had crashed & burned at the end of the SEATAC runway ???

They said: " ... well, in THAT case, we would issue a refund."

Needless to say ... I've never used one of the 'cut-rate' online ticket brokers again ... :)

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Hey man, I am sorry to hear about your issues with Expedia. I travel a lot, domestic and international, and I have used them a few times and I had a similar issue. I talked to them by e-mail, and I basically told them that I will spread a negative word amongst my peers i.e. military personal, and never use them again myself, plus I sent them a link to the website that was offering the cheaper tickets. That worked, they charged me less, but I still had to pay the airline fees. The next time I had a conflict, I did not even contact Expedia. I talked directly to the partner airline company that had my booking, that was a totally different experience altogether: I was on the phone for 10 minutes, I had a new date, no fees for changing, and a great flight. That was with Virgin Atlantic BTW!!! Free BAR on the flight to London.....

Good luck, don't give into these blood sucking monsters....

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
For future reference, you can get travel insurance through USAA (via an outside vendor) for fairly cheap (rates depend on the coverage you select and the cost of the tickets and reservations), even for travel or hotel booked through a discount vendor like Expedia. Just go to USAA, log in, and search "travel insurance". For 2 tickets around Christmas time, for 2 mid 20's adults paying $650 each, the quote I just got (with the "cancel for any reason" clause added, which cost 50% again as much but is what really makes it worthwhile) was $135. I always spend the extra bucks and purchase this any time Husband is traveling with me or I am traveling to meet him in port, or anything else the military could affect.

Something to keep in mind for the future, for sure.

And actually, depending on when you bought the tickets, you might still be able to buy the coverage. I seem to recall you had to purchase within X days of booking the trip, and/or within Y days of the travel. Buying it with the intent to cancel is certainly shady, but without reading through the policy, I can't say whether it is a legitimate loophole or not.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
It's not paying some money to change the tickets that I object to......words

As for being shady myself in this.....words

Sounds to me like youve already answered your own question. Go for it....exhaust your resources with expedia using the military card if needed. If that doesnt work out, dispute with USAA, write a review on the BBB and then dont use expedia anymore. I can tell your frustrated and I hope things work out for you and your family. Post how it works out.