• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expedia, USAA, and disputes.....advice?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sounds to me like youve already answered your own question. Go for it....exhaust your resources with expedia using the military card if needed. If that doesnt work out, dispute with USAA, write a review on the BBB and then dont use expedia anymore. I can tell your frustrated and I hope things work out for you and your family. Post how it works out.

Yeah I guess maybe I have :) Thanks for the good words. Have exhausted my means with expedia.....it's pretty much like talking to a robot when you finally get someone on the phone there, and they offer no options that don't involve more fees and more money. I doubt their agents are even knowledgeable enough to offer suggestions, which is probably pretty convenient for the management back stateside. Conveniently for me, their headquarters are within driving distance of where I will be on leave. Maybe I will have to "drop in" and have a chat with someone. Anyway, yeah, now in the process of working with USAA. Will report back, and for all my military brothers out there (or others), I'd highly recommend NOT doing business with these shady folks. More than enough anecdotal evidence out there on the web and BBB to have clued me into this, but I guess if you never look, you never know.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
FYI

Your admin department can generate a quick memo addressed "To whom it may concern" quickly saying ops have changed and to please wave all fees when you change your flight. We only have a few flights leaving the island and when they fill up the connecting flights have to change with the leave change. They have worked 100% of the time for guys down here with the letter in hand/faxed to the airline in question.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
FYI

Your admin department can generate a quick memo addressed "To whom it may concern" quickly saying ops have changed and to please wave all fees when you change your flight. We only have a few flights leaving the island and when they fill up the connecting flights have to change with the leave change. They have worked 100% of the time for guys down here with the letter in hand/faxed to the airline in question.

Unfortunately it is not an airline that I am having to deal with in this case. Expedia seems to outsource all of it's customer service/support to a foreign country, and there are no other contact numbers available (conveniently for them). I did find a real number when I filed a complaint with the BBB, which is also how I found out that they live in my old neck of the woods. Perhaps BBB can do something, as USAA said that at this point, there isn't a whole lot they can do...at least not until the funds transfer is complete, and even then, they are bound by expedia's terms of use. Basically, they didn't break their rules by any real measure, and my complaint is more to the absurdity department, as well as the poor customer service department. There is no reason in the world that using a travel service who claims to save customers the most money, should result in said customer paying 3 times the market value for tickets that are readily available by phone with the airline. In the end, I think I would be satisfied if they just refunded the ticket change fees and "difference in fare price" costs, but we will see if that happens. It really comes down to them.......and if they can see the difference between sticking to the letter of a contract even if it screws customers, and having a little reason and compassion and trying to understand when a situation is out of control and ridiculous (even if legally ok)

phrogpilot73

I've had problems with companies in the past that have left me so frustrated, I could spit. However - that article about "executive complaints" is spot on. I've gotten instant response when I've been able to find some head shed dudes. Because I feel for you - I googled "contact the president of expedia" and here's some contact info to have in your back pocket:

Tucker Moodey
Senior vice president, customer operations
tuckermo@expedia.com
(425) 679-7200

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I've had problems with companies in the past that have left me so frustrated, I could spit. However - that article about "executive complaints" is spot on. I've gotten instant response when I've been able to find some head shed dudes. Because I feel for you - I googled "contact the president of expedia" and here's some contact info to have in your back pocket:

Tucker Moodey
Senior vice president, customer operations
tuckermo@expedia.com
(425) 679-7200

This is the best thing Ive seen short of Cousin Eddie showing up at your house on Christmas Eve with Mr Moody tied up with a bow around him.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Jac,

I had a similar issue with priceline.com previously. I had to cancel a ticket, and rebook. So, when trying to rebook they were adding fees, and not even getting me the lowest fare I saw on the airlines website. So, I asked them if I could contact the airline directly. As it is, you still own the ticket with the airline, and can deal with them directly, and you don't have to pay any of the cut-rate travel agency fees. I payed the difference and $150, so it cost me an additional $150 change the tickets to the dates that I needed.

phrogpilot73

^ What he said. I'll use the travel sites to find my ticket, then if I have to change it - I usually deal directly with the airlines. Much easier that way.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
^ What he said. I'll use the travel sites to find my ticket, then if I have to change it - I usually deal directly with the airlines. Much easier that way.

Just a follow up tip. . .Expedia makes a great search engine to FIND the lowest price. However, if you book directly with the airline on their website, after finding the lowest fare on Expedia, you'll typically save a few additional bucks.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
United will issue a refund on non-refundable tickets even if they were purchased through a third party vendor. However, they will only do so if you have orders that prevent your travel. I had tickets to Europe for a vacation and three months after buying the tickets I got my IA orders to Qatar and wasn't going to be around for the trip to Italy. Third party vendor just said "sorry, you bought non-refundable tickets." I called United and they said to just bring a copy of my orders to a ticket agent at the airport showing that I would be unavailable during the period of the trip. I was refunded instantly when I did that.

I don't want to sound callous, but you did agree to pay. Ideally you would have been armed with the fare information prior to calling. It is standard practice with any airline that you have to pay the difference in the airfare (if the new fare is greater) plus any change of ticket fee. Dispute if you want, but don't count on it coming through and don't get upset with USAA if they don't honor the dispute request. Contact United directly to see if they can help help you out. If not, then chalk it up to lessons learned. It happens to everyone at times. Things like airfare, cars, boats, motorcycle and such are not like a backpack or stereo where you can just return those if you found a better price somewhere else.

kayak.com is another great resource for doing fare research also.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Just a follow up tip. . .Expedia makes a great search engine to FIND the lowest price. However, if you book directly with the airline on their website, after finding the lowest fare on Expedia, you'll typically save a few additional bucks.

+1. I do the same thing. Every time the fair offered on the actual airline website is the same that is offered on expeida, etc.

My opinion on this, call or email the customer rep Stinky posted and see where that gets you. Beyond that, take this one on the chin, and its a lesson learned for next time.