• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Everyone point and laugh at the U.K.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, I was watching "Cops" one time where this extremely obese guy got shot with a .22. He was talking to the cops, laughing like it was no big deal. The round had just, no sh1t, bounced off of him. I laughed my ass off.

.22LR, and bullets in general can do wierd stuff. People have shot themself in the head with .25ACP.. and it just lodges itself in the skull bone, doesn't even penetrate. Sometimes people will get shot with .22LR and it'll penetrate and the wound will swell up such that you can't tell there is an entry wound. Meanwhile they're dying of internal bleeding. .45ACP FMJ and other slow moving rounds are notorious for hitting people in the head at low angle and riding under the skin around the skull and exiting the other side.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
That's some freaky stuff. You know, I heard of a Huey pilot in Vietname getting hit with the same bullet multiple times. The round supposedly entered the helo through the lower window by the foot, then went in through the foot, shin, thigh, lower arm and shoulder in one line due to how he was sitting. I've been wondering if that was possible or if it was just some BS story. Anyone else heard of this?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's some freaky stuff. You know, I heard of a Huey pilot in Vietname getting hit with the same bullet multiple times. The round supposedly entered the helo through the lower window by the foot, then went in through the foot, shin, thigh, lower arm and shoulder in one line due to how he was sitting. I've been wondering if that was possible or if it was just some BS story. Anyone else heard of this?

Depends on the bullet. Bullets with enough mass and forward velocity could theoretically do it. That's a lot of entry points though.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Depends on the bullet. Bullets with enough mass and forward velocity could theoretically do it. That's a lot of entry points though.

Ok, so I know this is from a TV show, but...

I saw a show about the Kennedy assasination where they recreated the shot with the same rifle and ballistic gel (which simulates human tissue) and the round went in and out of several pieces of ballistic gel, similar to the situation Zilch described. Obviously it would have to be a high velocity round to do that.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so I know this is from a TV show, but...

I saw a show about the Kennedy assasination where they recreated the shot with the same rifle and ballistic gel (which simulates human tissue) and the round went in and out of several pieces of ballistic gel, similar to the situation Zilch described. Obviously it would have to be a high velocity round to do that.

The problem with ballistic gel is that it doesn't represent varying densities. Bones and organs can do amazing things to bullets, and skin is particularly harsh on them on the exit. Yes, bullets can exit a body and re-enter, it happens a lot, such as on side shots, entering the arm, exiting, and re-entering in the chest.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

I heard about something similar, except the guy wasn't in a Huey, he was in a convertible limousine, and in wasn't in Vietnam, but in Dallas, and the guy wasn't a pilot, but President Kennedy.

Carno

Insane
My dad said he saw a guy who had gotten shot in Vietnam, where the bullet had entered in his shoulder and exited out of his thigh.

That's freakin gnarly.

thull

My dad said he saw a guy who had gotten shot in Vietnam, where the bullet had entered in his shoulder and exited out of his thigh.

That's freakin gnarly.

and you once told me to stop posting? It's all good though..;)