• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Et Tu, Petraeus?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Another effective and admired leader found to be a dishonorable man. That is sad, but in other news, shiniest turd futures explode.

Little harsh, don't you think?

He has his faults, apparently, but as Lincoln, when informed of Gen Grant's excessive drinking said,"Tell me what brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals." I'd rather have some more Petraeus types that actually win wars, instead of straight-arrows who lose.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I understand the ideal of "Officer and a gentleman," but I'll never understand why someone who has proven his strategic planning skills like Patraeus would be fired (or in this case, asked to resign) for anything other than what occurs on the battlefield. Having an affair is morally wrong, but it doesn't have anything to do with his ability to develop winning battle plans.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the ideal of "Officer and a gentleman," but I'll never understand why someone who has proven his strategic planning skills like Patraeus would be fired (or in this case, asked to resign) for anything other than what occurs on the battlefield. Having an affair is morally wrong, but it doesn't have anything to do with his ability to develop winning battle plans.

From what I've read, the decision to resign was his. We can get all "Georgetown chattering classes" about whether he was encouraged to resign or who said what to whom, but I doubt anybody on this board knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phrogpilot73

I'm not smart on the rules for reservists, but are they subject to the UCMJ when they're not activated or drilling? Just curious as to the legal jurisdiction that might apply to her.
Everything I've read has pointed towards the UCMJ does NOT apply to me (reservist) unless on orders, mobilized, or possibly a breach of classified info, but there are more effective civilian ways to prosecute for that.
What MB said, with an addition and clarification.

Reservists are also subject to the UCMJ while drilling. Mishandling classified info would be covered in other federal laws (not the UCMJ) if we're not in a drilling/orders/mobilization status.

Think of it this way: If you aren't paying me, I'm not playing by your rules.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^Win

How is mentioning the fact that Obama is a Christian a Maddow point?

This dead horse is beyond unrecognizable.

Presuming someone who disagrees with the CinC must also doubt his citizenship or question his claimed religious affiliation - those are the typical lib media tactics that your boy is hiding behind.

Horse being dead? Agree.

KBayDog

Kbay is like a walking, talking, and occasionally hovering Wayback Machine.

On that note, here's your Scary Thought of the Day:

Jim123 and I have flown together on numerous occasions. (Obviously Harrier Dude wasn't around to ORM those flights ;) ).

SkywardET

Contrarian
Little harsh, don't you think?

He has his faults, apparently, but as Lincoln, when informed of Gen Grant's excessive drinking said,"Tell me what brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals." I'd rather have some more Petraeus types that actually win wars, instead of straight-arrows who lose.
Yes, it is a bit harsh. I think it is also objective, since what meaning does the word "dishonorable" have if it does not apply here?

The security concern is real and that is reason enough for him to resign. It just would have been so much better for everyone if this hadn't happened... I am glad he held himself accountable for it, though, and I'll give him credit for that. It would be nice to have more political appointees who hold themselves accountable. It's a shame, however, that he only did so after it was uncovered by the FBI.

All told, this was more than just a minor problem--it's a character flaw. What else do we not know about that he hasn't held himself accountable for? Maybe nothing, but we might never know.