• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EP-3 pipeline

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ACS or ......??

Flash said:
A little note for the future. While the ACS (the replacment for the EP-3) has been cancelled, the Navy has taken some of the ACS money and ensuring the EP-3 fleet is viable until 2017. Believe me, I got this straight from the Program Office (random tasker from an RADM). So for those of you worried about community survival, VQ will be around for a bit.

I hope I have answered your questions, and then some . Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with EP-3's, especially if you are intereseted in intelligence at all. The community is small but pretty tight knit and a decent one to be in. The flying is a little boring, you burn whole in the sky at FL 250, but the mission can be really exciting in between all the boredom .

VQ mission is in no danger of going away and upgrades are always being worked for EP-3 to keep it relevant. Navy opted to join Army for Aerial Common Sensor (ACS), but Army overloaded chosen airframe (RJ sized jet)and program is in jeopardy. Meanwhile, EP-3 will be flying for foreseeable future and a variant of MMA is an option if Army can't reset their ACS program.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So, whats being said is that in VQ, your only going to get your first two tours as flying tours... once you hit DH, you don't fly anymore?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
So, whats being said is that in VQ, your only going to get your first two tours as flying tours... once you hit DH, you don't fly anymore?

He's not saying that at all. He was talking about who was doing all the Det heavy lifting.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
"A Rat's ass??" *Sigh* .... we're ALL Brothers. Even if some guys are ... well, losers some/most of the time. Rats and all ..... we're Brothers --- that's Naval Aviation.

Okay, I'm crying uncle. I swear John installed some filter that makes something I say get completely misunderstood by A4s. What I didn't understand was if that the picture I asked about was when Osborn's crew was coming back through. That's what I was asking. I wasn't sure if it was just any old EP-3 coming through, or it was that particular crew. Thanks for clarifying, even if it did take 3 posts for us to finally understand one another. Now it all makes sense.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
I appreciate the responses. I do try to find guys around here to talk to but so far I've only been able to talk to E-P3 pilots and I'm still looking for the NFO perspective. That's what I got here pretty well. Said pilots basically told me that an E-P3 NFO needs a working knowledge of theater governments, defense policy and intelligencey stuff. I suppose that would come into play when analyzing the signals you receive. Just conjecture though.

The idea of being a super eye in the sky with some very fancy classified toys is appealing. I also heard that E-P3 guys got a lot more hours than their P-3 cousins due to the vast difference in missions. I figured I'd be living in the tube as opposed to up front but I'm not sure so that's why I asked.

Basically I haven't met an aviator yet who didn't love their community (although I know they exist) so every P-3 and E-P3 guy I met thinks it's pie in the sky and ditto with jets and E-2s. Again, just looking for whatever unclassified tidbits you all can throw my way.

I'm still interested in how one actually GETS E-P3s vice P-3s in the training pipeline.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
He's not saying that at all. He was talking about who was doing all the Det heavy lifting.

That would be right. You do fly a bit less as an O-4 but you still usually go on 2 dets when you do your DH tour.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dnweinreb said:
I appreciate the responses. I do try to find guys around here to talk to but so far I've only been able to talk to E-P3 pilots and I'm still looking for the NFO perspective. That's what I got here pretty well. Said pilots basically told me that an E-P3 NFO needs a working knowledge of theater governments, defense policy and intelligencey stuff. I suppose that would come into play when analyzing the signals you receive. Just conjecture though.

The idea of being a super eye in the sky with some very fancy classified toys is appealing. I also heard that E-P3 guys got a lot more hours than their P-3 cousins due to the vast difference in missions. I figured I'd be living in the tube as opposed to up front but I'm not sure so that's why I asked.

Basically I haven't met an aviator yet who didn't love their community (although I know they exist) so every P-3 and E-P3 guy I met thinks it's pie in the sky and ditto with jets and E-2s. Again, just looking for whatever unclassified tidbits you all can throw my way.

I'm still interested in how one actually GETS E-P3s vice P-3s in the training pipeline.

You get EP-3's the same way you get P-3's or E-6's, you ask for them out of the Nav pipeline, simple as that. Me and one other guy in my class of ten asked for them and they happened to have 2 slots. Lucky me......:D

As for know about all of the Intelligence stuff, that is true to a degree. You have to be aware of current events but you are not going to need to know the political intricacies of every target country. What guys in VQ are really studying is the threats to us and the people we support, like the fleet. How they fit into the whole picture is definitely part of the study material but the not the main thrust of it.

Finally, it is EP-3, not E-P3.........EP-3E to be specific.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dnweinreb said:
Basically I haven't met an aviator yet who didn't love their community
Speaking of which, where has Punk been lately? :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Speaking of which, where has Punk been lately? :D

Brett
He was last seen @ Holland Happenings ... sporting wooden shoes .... got a splinter ..... nothing since. :)

P3 F0

None
Flash said:
You get EP-3's the same way you get P-3's or E-6's, you ask for them out of the Nav pipeline, simple as that. Me and one other guy in my class of ten asked for them and they happened to have 2 slots. Lucky me......:D
I asked for East Coast and P-3's and got EP-3's and Whidbey. Go figure.

Sabre170

None
I am in San Antonio now, and the "rule of thumb" is is you want EP-3 all you have to do is ask. If you don't ask for them, you will not get them... they don't want you there unless you want it.

Now as soon as you read this, someone will post how they didn't want it and ended up getting it anyway. Just do your best and be 1st in class and you will get to choose first of what is available that week. The classes down here are about 25 people with only three Navy per class now... it used to be 10.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
And let me also caution you on who you talk to in the TRACOM. Some dudes there (not all) are not the best and the brightest that the fleet as to offer and they will give you bum gouge. Also, I don't care who you talk to, there is no amount of info that can give you a real perspective on a community until you are actually in it. When I selected, I got drafted for E-2s and was pissed because everyone told me that I should go hornets and that hornets were the best thing since God knows what. I figure that would be true, but once I got down to the job of being in the tube, I realized it can get pretty cool really quick. So, my advice is go with your gut. If you don't get it, whatever, you'll still be catching mad per diem in the P-3 anyway...That's why guys go P-3's...right? jk.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P3 F0 said:
I asked for East Coast and P-3's and got EP-3's and Whidbey. Go figure.

They just couldn't do without your good looks and charm in the World Watchers, where would we have been without you? :D

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
dnweinreb said:

Here's what to do......you go for your panel nav slot and then select EP-3's. That simple.

Now, the fun here at Randolph won't be much longer, so I can't speak as to how it will be in the future. But for now, you get your heavy slot from Pensacola, get down here and put EP-3's on your dream sheet. Enough people get scared away by the EWO stuff that they don't want to choose that platform. (you'll find out what EWO is later)

As far as EP-3 guys getting weirded out when you ask them, I've never heard of that. If you're a civilian looking for info, maybe. But if you're in the panel nav training and looking to find a follow-on aircraft, the EP-3 guys will talk your ear off. Just find those people and ask them questions.

As far as this site goes....like another member said....take it with a grain of salt. You can find some good information, but you also have the dipsh1t crew who will try to give you a bunch of crap. Just stick to asking the guys who are in the community and work on getting a panel nav slot. That'll be your ticket in.

Good luck.