• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EP-3 pipeline

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
Hello again all. I seek the wisdom of the winged yet again.

I've been thinking lately about going out for E-p3s because I had a long talk with some e-p3 guys and it turns out the mission is pretty much right in line with my education background (poly sci/international relations) plus the lifestyle is apparently pretty sweet and a TS compartmentalized clearance to boot.

Anyway, you all probably knew that already so my question is, how does one go about getting e-p3s specifically? Do you just ask for p-3s and then go for the Es during training at randolph? If so, how likely is it that I would get e-p3s vs regular p-3s if I asked for them?

It may be a moot point because it seems every stud with a pulse and a decent average is getting jets these days but I'm on the fence between p-3 and hornet (anthro dq from prowlers) but I really want e-p3 specifically if I do want to put multi-engine first on the dream sheet. I'd be happy as hell to get either hornets or ep-3s but each for different reasons. Any insight would be great, thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dnweinreb said:
Anyway, you all probably knew that already so my question is, how does one go about getting e-p3s specifically? Do you just ask for p-3s and then go for the Es during training at randolph? If so, how likely is it that I would get e-p3s vs regular p-3s if I asked for them?

....really want e-p3 specifically if I do want to put multi-engine first on the dream sheet. I'd be happy as hell to get either hornets or ep-3s but each for different reasons. Any insight would be great, thanks.

First off, do a bit of research and get the Type/model/series right. It is the EP-3E Aries II and it's flown by Electronic Warfare Squadrons (FAIRECONRON) One and Two (VQ-1 and 2). It is indeed a vital mission, but a solitary one so you might consider life in a Growler squadron if you want to deal with "trons". You didn't say whether you were striving for the "front office" or the "tube". Since virtually all of the action occurs in the back (as in E-2 and Prowler worlds), that is an important question. Pretty interesting shore rotation opportunities as well if you like not being able to converse in the open about your chosen trade.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dnweinreb said:
Hello again all. I seek the wisdom of the winged yet again.

I've been thinking lately about going out for E-p3s because I had a long talk with some e-p3 guys and it turns out the mission is pretty much right in line with my education background (poly sci/international relations) plus the lifestyle is apparently pretty sweet and a TS compartmentalized clearance to boot.

It may be a moot point because it seems every stud with a pulse and a decent average is getting jets these days but I'm on the fence between p-3 and hornet (anthro dq from prowlers) but I really want e-p3 specifically if I do want to put multi-engine first on the dream sheet. I'd be happy as hell to get either hornets or ep-3s but each for different reasons. Any insight would be great, thanks.
Signals analysis/Radar pulse train appreciation = poli sci/IR? I don't get the connection. Just breaking your balls though. Make sure you know what the mission is before you commit to liking it.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4s, what's the story w/ that third pic? I know -47 is at K-Bay, just wondering what the VQ-1 thing is for. Were they flying through (something they always did. We'd always see the big ugly swollen P-3 over on the T-line).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
A4s, what's the story w/ that third pic? ....
Hickam AFB .... Territory of Hawai'i :)

Speaking of which ... I just packed the very, very fine replacement wife off to the Territory today .... and moi, you ask???

I remain on Fun Island in the Great Northwest. I think I shall get a Golden Retriever and a cat this next week .... and perhaps learn the ballet. Perhaps not.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Right, but they're not stationed there. Just wondering who is "welcoming" them back. I've been downtown drinking w/ some of those guys w/ a buddy who had a friend on the crew of one, and the impression I got was they just cruise through HI on their way back. Just wondering why -47 would give a rat's ass about VQ-1. Or was that when THE EP-3 came back, albeit in pieces?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
Just wondering why -47 would give a rat's ass ...... they're not stationed there. Just wondering ....?
"A Rat's ass??" *Sigh* .... we're ALL Brothers. Even if some guys are ... well, losers some/most of the time. Rats and all ..... we're Brothers --- that's Naval Aviation.

But: Correct-O .... the crew ....

"EP-3 crewmembers stand at ease during the April 12 ceremony welcoming them to Hawaii following their release from China. The crew had been detained by the Chinese following a mid-air collision with an F-8 fighter over the South China Sea....."

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, the PIC, LT Shane Osborn, is running for the treasurer of Nebraska (obviously he is not in the Navy anymore). He won the Republican primary and will go against the incumbent in November.

Check it out here.

Chubby

Is it me or does that cat always look as if he's got a serious case of constipation?

heading.jpg

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
heyjoe's highly insightful post

First of all, heyjoe, you are the man. How many times on this website have I seen someone from another community bash and smash one of the more obscure branches of Naval Aviation (and I am completely guilty of doing this). Fvcking A man, class act.

dnweinwreb, do everything in your power to find some EP-3, P-3, and Hornet dudes wherever you are and talk their fvkving ears off. Ask questions, in person, and get the real scoop, first hand. Airwarriors is a great resource, and you should use it to the max extent possible, but no post on here could ever be worth more than the inisght you could get over one beer. Food for thought.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Ask questions, in person, and get the real scoop, first hand. Airwarriors is a great resource, and you should use it to the max extent possible, but no post on here could ever be worth more than the inisght you could get over one beer. Food for thought.

Tough to learn about a community and their mission when the people in it don't like to tell you much (I understand why)... but in person seems to work a lot better.

Last time I asked an EP-3 Whidbey guy on this board questions to try to help my VP/VQ selection decision they wigged out somewhat and told to me contact their squadron PAO.

Luckily I ran into an EP-3 IP from my primary squadron who was willing to take the time and answer my questions when he realized I was interested in the community.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
Tough to learn about a community and their mission when the people in it don't like to tell you much (I understand why)... but in person seems to work a lot better.

Last time I asked an EP-3 Whidbey guy on this board questions to try to help my VP/VQ selection decision they wigged out somewhat and told to me contact their squadron PAO.

Luckily I ran into an EP-3 IP from my primary squadron who was willing to take the time and answer my questions when he realized I was interested in the community.
That's a dick move. You can talk about the mission in general without getting into the secret squirrel specifics. People who pull that routine are just trying to maintain some semblance of self importance.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:
Is it me or does that cat always look as if he's got a serious case of constipation?

heading.jpg

He has always looked like that, it may be his superb piloting skills shining through...........:D But I digress......I thought he would go into politics, he always seemed like the type.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:

I posted the below description on another thread asking details about the EP-3 community. Brett is right by saying that you can talk a lot of general stuff abou the mission without getting into the classified arena. Some decent descriptions of what the EP-3 does mission wise can be found at these links:

Janes: http://www.janes.com/aerospace/military/news/jema/jema010402_1_n.shtml

GlobalSecurtiy.org: http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/ep-3-desc.htm

Federation of American Scientists: http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/ep-3_aries.htm

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EP-3

For what it is worth I loved the community but take Zab's advice and talk to as many people from the different communitites as possible. There are some in TRACOM from both of my communities that I would have second thoughts about them passing on good gouge, but there are plenty of good guys to balance them out. Here is the thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192896#post192896 and here is the description I gave about the EP-3 life:

Several years ago, before I saw the light and switched to Prowlers, I was an EP-3 NFO. I can tell you that I did not change because I hated flying the [well-hung] Sky Pig, I loved the community. I just wanted something a little faster and cooler.....then I woke up and flew Prowlers

First off, as others have pointed out, there are only two squadrons that fly the EP-3, VQ-1 and VQ-2. VQ-2 just moved from Rota to Whidbey last year so you only have one place to go to fly EP-3's.

What an NFO does on the EP-3 is the same he does on any Navy plane, he helps run the mission, after about a year in NAVCOM purgatory. There are actually three NFO's on the EP-3, the NAV, the EVAL (Evaluator) and the SEVAL (Senior Evaluator). If the titles seem a little innocuous to you, they are suppose to be. While it is the same airframe the mission of the EP-3 is completely different than the P-3. The mission on the on the EP-3 is pretty close to what Zab said, signal collection and analysis. And that is about all that I will say about the mission, I would be getting into details that don't need to be aired on the internet if I went further.

The NAV does what you learned in flight school, you navigate the plane as well as be the butt boy of vast majority of the jokes among the crew. And jsust like a P-3 NAV, you get to lug around metal boxes full of pubs and special gear. If you survive that you will move EVAL, where you will manage one of the two mission areas in the back of the plane. You sit sideways facing a computer screen and try and learn as much as possible from the SEVAL who sits right next to you and is sleeping half the time (those seats recline pretty far ). You study like mad to learn as much as possible on the mission stuff and prep for your qualification board, which your generally do around the two year mark. If you pass, you will then get to be the SEVAL and run the whole mission in the back.

I make fun of it a little but I really enjoyed the mission, when it was interesting. You had a big picture view of what was going on around you, a lot like the E-2 but as a mostly passive player. And you were one of the few guys in town who could provide an invaluable service. For guys going to Iraq, the EP-3 and the Air Force equivalent were go/no-go birds that were requred for guys to be in the box. It is also a very intelligence oriented mission, so you got to get in the know about a lot of that stuff while still being an 'operational' type.

There were a couple of other key differences other than the mission between P-3's and EP-3's.

-Deployment schedule- You went on the road for 2 months at a time, and generally stayed home for 3 or 4 months before going out again. You went on the road as an individual crew, not with the squadron. About half the squadron was away from home at any given time so the squadron was never together in one place, which sucked a little bit. I did not even meet my mentor in the squadron until I had been in for 8 months, we were on opposite det cycles for a while. Expect to deploy 6 to 8 times (12-18 motnhs out of your tour, add 2-4 months for misc. TAD's and training). I deployed only 6 times because I left early due to my transition. You will deploy to the bigger det sites where P-3's go (Japan and the Middle East) though usually not the more exotic ones (India, Hong Kong etc.) because of the nature of our mission. There are a few times guys get to go to somewhere exotic, though that is relatively rare. There is a certain Carribean island that P-3's are not at but there is a usually an EP-3 there though.......

-Crew composition- The crew is twice as large as a P-3 crew, 24 guys, and is made up of several different specialties. There are 7 officers on board; 3 pilots, 3 NFO's and 1 other and there are a myriad of enlisted types. It was a challenge and a reward to lead the crew and get the job done. There were some....ummmmm....interesting personalities that you had to deal with for one of the mission areas (Zab should know who I am talking about ) and you had to learn to deal with them to accomplish your mission. That being said, some of them were scary smart. I learned more about a certain country's air force from an E-5 than I did reading all my study material.

Oh, yeah, the VP types might hate this but almost every deployed crew was all JO's. Out of my 6 crews I had only one that was had an O-4 and he was on a super JO tour and was not a DH. All of our DH's did half a det to get qualified and then did their DH time at home. It was heaven for a JO. I would say 90% of the MC's that took a crew on the road for a whole det were JO's, including me. It is quite the ego booster when you a 3-month LT who is the Mission Commander for the only EP-3 in theater, and you are covering combat missions. That is one of the things that makes Naval Aviation.

The flight hours are really good too. I walked out of the squadron with 1500 hours and that was considered pretty short for a JO NFO (I left 6 months early), most guys got around 2000. Pilots, generally got around 1600-2000 hours. And with the amount of flying they have done in OIF and OEF, those numbers have gone up a bit. A lot better than a VP-1 pilot in my office who walked out with 950, and he was a little high compared to his buddies.

A littel note for the future. While the ACS (the replacment for the EP-3) has been cancelled, the Navy has taken some of the ACS money and ensuring the EP-3 fleet is viable until 2017. Believe me, I got this straight from the Program Office (random tasker from an RADM). So for those of you worried about community survival, VQ will be around for a bit.

I hope I have answered your questions, and then some . Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with EP-3's, especially if you are intereseted in intelligence at all. The community is small but pretty tight knit and a decent one to be in. The flying is a little boring, you burn whole in the sky at FL 250, but the mission can be really exciting in between all the boredom .

Please let me know if you have any more questions.