• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Entire Hornet and Rhino demo from a helmet cam, no music, editing, etc.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
...although I would have guessed that strapping in would be numero uno...especially in an ejection seat. Any particular reason for this?

A lot of guys wait until marshal or taxi to strap in because you're usually waiting for wingmen to marshal, or you're not doing much on the taxi out. It's more efficient.

That being said, I don't do it. I used to (because I saw a lot of IPs doing it) until one day I was taxiing into the line and went to unstrap and my uppers were already disconnected. I had forgotten to attach them before takeoff. That really scared me. Since then I strap in completely as soon as I climb into the jet, and I physically tug on my uppers and run my hand over the seat arm lever multiple times before taking the runway.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Because a lot of things on the start check.. Hard to reach with harness on (just speaking from 45 experience here), and if there is a ground egress, its one more thing to deal with.. In the E-2 I don't put any Koch fittings on until after engine start and pulling chocks, and I don't put the uppers on until we are taxiing to the Cat/Runway.
I wonder if I can get my T-6 IPs to buy this one... or maybe I'll just strap in like they tell me too.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
A lot of guys wait until marshal or taxi to strap in because you're usually waiting for wingmen to marshal, or you're not doing much on the taxi out. It's more efficient.

That being said, I don't do it. I used to (because I saw a lot of IPs doing it) until one day I was taxiing into the line and went to unstrap and my uppers were already disconnected. I had forgotten to attach them before takeoff. That really scared me. Since then I strap in completely as soon as I climb into the jet, and I physically tug on my uppers and run my hand over the seat arm lever multiple times before taking the runway.
Did that one time with a gunner's belt in the helo. Didn't notice I wasn't wearing it until I was doing some practice hoisting. Last time I ever forgot to wear it though...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I don't know how it is for hornets, but I imagine if the canopy is open you aren't going to be ejecting anyway. When I open the canopy I unstrap.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
First thing I do after I check the seat being safe, master arm safe and hop in is attach my gsuit and comm cords. Step 2 is strap in. It really doesn't take up much time, and it sure beats forgetting it in a rush to get to marshall while doing t/o checks on the roll, getting a flight check-in, alpha check, switching to tower and listening to our t/o clearance all pretty much at the same time. I do unstrap almost as soon as I'm cleared of the rwy and my seat is safed, but at that point, I can afford to forget to unstrap.....I'll remember it when I try to stand up. I know too many stories about guys flying entire flights without koch fittings attached and other dangerous tomfoolery for this very reason, to bet my life on remembering it every time. But if it works for others to strap in at marshall, then I don't see anything wrong with it.....just wouldn't work for me. That and you have to be strapped in at the boat as soon as they get ready to break you down (or break you up is it? :) )......and as rushed as those starts are, I know I'd forget it in that environment if it wasn't in my habit pattern at a time when I wasn't likely to forget doing it. Just my .02

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Did that one time with a gunner's belt in the helo. Didn't notice I wasn't wearing it until I was doing some practice hoisting. Last time I ever forgot to wear it though...
NACES aircraft have a safe/arm handle, so the seat can be safed with the pin out. T-6 doesn't to my recollection, so if the pin's out it's live and ya oughta be strapped in.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I wouldn't say that waiting until taxi to strap in is standard. I always begin strapping in prior to start up, and then finish while I'm waiting on the APU. I won't ever taxi without being strapped in. You can't taxi on the boat without being armed up. No reason to change it once home.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Always hooked everything up prior to APU but the uppers, just easier to move around and jam all my shit in the nooks and crannies to build my nest. Once the APU is spinning I hooked my uppers. Only took one time taking off out of the NOG in Krock, in the T-45 and realizing I was more comfortable than normal, and then giving myself the biggest and scariest facepalm of my life when I discovered my upper koch's flapping around. F*ck me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another solution to the "can't move around in the cockpit strapped in" issue, at least from the GRU-EA7 crowd. I strap in but leave my lap belts slack until the taxi. Pulling out of chocks, call to ground, and snug my lap belts down during the first part of before takeoff checks prior to arming up. Crossing hold-short, gloves go on, another quick tug on the lap belts, then two leg wiggles, an attempted scootch in the seat, and a quick lean forward double-verifies I'm strapped in six ways. Which I should be since I called it over ICS on arming the seats . . . :p

I find this gives me enough room for futzing around during startup, getting kneeboard out of navbag, checking CBs, etc.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
NACES aircraft have a safe/arm handle, so the seat can be safed with the pin out. T-6 doesn't to my recollection, so if the pin's out it's live and ya oughta be strapped in.

Correct, no safe/arm handle in the T-6. I believe they changed the SOP right around the time that I completed primary to shift pin removal to the hold short (might be run up, again this was right after I left VT-3) rather than in the line area like we did when I went through. On one solo I was taxing to the run up and the way I was sitting on my harness was really uncomfortable so I reached down and proceeded to tug on the straps to adjust it. The hair on the back of my next stood up as I realized I was reaching between my legs to tug on straps without truly paying attention to what I was tugging on or how I was doing it. I immediately stopped, taxied to the run up, pinned the seat, adjusted, unpinned, and continued. Easily one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Obviously seat safety is no joke, and this was my wake up call as C420 had his above.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
What I found interesting is that in the first video, it looks like that airshow had almost every airworthy B-17 in attendance (I counted 5).