• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ensuring Your VT Squadron

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
As if they're going to come on here and verify what I'm telling you. Like I said, I hope you're a good stick and are quick on your feet.....seriously.

Alright tough guy, that is one of the weaker things I've heard on this site. From my experience, IPs are for the most part very fair and reward good performance. I just can't see a LT sitting at his computer crosschecking airwarrior members' email addresses with the flight schedule, just crossing his fingers he can stick it to this kid for asking a question on an internet forum, among friends. That's just silly. And to the dude asking the question, if you come to Corpus and want 28 (as many do), some say that checking in to the wing as early as possible or as late as possible might help you game it a little. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to work things to your favor, just don't subsitute that for hard work.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
primary28 said:
Alright tough guy, that is one of the weaker things I've heard on this site. From my experience, IPs are for the most part very fair and reward good performance. I just can't see a LT sitting at his computer crosschecking airwarrior members' email addresses with the flight schedule, just crossing his fingers he can stick it to this kid for asking a question on an internet forum, among friends.
Beware the bored O-3...

primary28 said:
Alright tough guy, that is one of the weaker things I've heard on this site. From my experience, IPs are for the most part very fair and reward good performance. I just can't see a LT sitting at his computer crosschecking airwarrior members' email addresses with the flight schedule, just crossing his fingers he can stick it to this kid for asking a question on an internet forum, among friends. That's just silly. And to the dude asking the question, if you come to Corpus and want 28 (as many do), some say that checking in to the wing as early as possible or as late as possible might help you game it a little. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to work things to your favor, just don't subsitute that for hard work.

That plan didn't work to well for many of us checking in recently. It was basically a 50/50 split of when you checked in. It's up to the front office who goes where and in my case there was no rhyme or reason as to why they separated different groups to go to different squadrons. One group of 8 people start next week while only 3 start the week following, while some are pushed back a month before starting. Try as much as you want there is NO WAY to know exactly where you will be going by asking here. But if anyone knows the meaning of life and wishes to share, please do.

Pags

N/A
pilot
nittany03 said:

as another -3 alum, i'll go ahead and say that I really enjoyed my experience with the red knights; lots of good instructors. just because there will be AF IPs there, they will still be teaching using the Navy method, so don't think that you're gonna get a stand up because you're at 3.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did I miss something? Does VT-3 do some kind of AF program, different from what VT-6 and 2 use? I sincerely doubt the procedures for an approach turn stall are that different, considering all the IPs do the same IUT. IPs are IPs, and it all comes out in the wash anyway. Just be glad you aren't going to Vance.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
redmariner97 said:
That plan didn't work to well for many of us checking in recently. It was basically a 50/50 split of when you checked in. It's up to the front office who goes where and in my case there was no rhyme or reason as to why they separated different groups to go to different squadrons. One group of 8 people start next week while only 3 start the week following, while some are pushed back a month before starting. Try as much as you want there is NO WAY to know exactly where you will be going by asking here. But if anyone knows the meaning of life and wishes to share, please do.

There's no way to know, but a lot of it depends on when you check in, as in what order the people arriving from API check in. They start a new class every week or 2, alternating squadrons. So many seats per class, and they usually just put people in an open slot when they show up if there is one. At least thats pretty much how it worked when I was waiting in the TW-4 pool.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
Does anyone know how to "work the system" to avoid getting VT3 when getting orders to TW5?

Yes.

Oh, you wanted details? Okay, since I think we've established the difference between the "work the system" and wants and disires, let me just say this... IF there's no backlog of studs at TW-5 waiting to start, THEN you can better guess where you'll be going. However, there's no real way to change it once you figure it out, short of pulling a fast one on everyone.

Otherwise, it's completely about timing, just like everything else. So what would you say that based on your timing, your chances of getting -3 are pretty good? I don't know for sure, but just a guess. Does that change anything for you?

trvsmrtn

pilot
I had a similar attitude about VT3. I heard how far behind they were and how JCOP sucks, and the AF IP's have poor attitudes towards JO's, etc etc etc. So I was relieved when I heard that I got VT2. Then...I got bumped. So I was headed to VT3 and guess what. All the stuff I heard was wrong. VT3 has more IP's than students now, so flying is no problem. You only do JCOP when you don't fly, so that's pretty much never. They try to give you a same service onwing, so you should get your Navy schooling. Regardless of who your onwing is, the AF IP's I've flown with have all been cool as hell. The only negative thing I can say about 3 is that there's a chance of going through RI's before forms which seems bassackwards to me, but hopefully that means I have some fun time left after crappy RI's.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, from what I hear VT-28 does the same thing, putting RIs first. I'm happy to be classing up with 27 (though I didn't really care all that much as long as I get to fly eventually) while most of the guys in my API class were scared sh!tless of "The Luftwaffe."

Take what you get dude, it's up to you to succeed or fail regardless. A 34 is a 34... looking foward to flying it soon :-D

Pags

N/A
pilot
trvsmrtn said:
I had a similar attitude about VT3. I heard how far behind they were and how JCOP sucks, and the AF IP's have poor attitudes towards JO's, etc etc etc. So I was relieved when I heard that I got VT2. Then...I got bumped. So I was headed to VT3 and guess what. All the stuff I heard was wrong. VT3 has more IP's than students now, so flying is no problem. You only do JCOP when you don't fly, so that's pretty much never. They try to give you a same service onwing, so you should get your Navy schooling. Regardless of who your onwing is, the AF IP's I've flown with have all been cool as hell. The only negative thing I can say about 3 is that there's a chance of going through RI's before forms which seems bassackwards to me, but hopefully that means I have some fun time left after crappy RI's.
nothing wrong with going through RIs first. it's just another stage. plus, nothing like getting your last flight to be a form flight. i'm sure glad my last fixed wing flight was a form, nothing like coming in for one last break. plus, nothing like stretching out the solos.

what's JCOP?