• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ensuring Your VT Squadron

GMan1976

Banned
plus, i've been in the Navy long enough to know that there's ALWAYS wiggle room. I'm not going to just take a back seat to the admin machine. I was a prior E admin type and know that those who go for things they want, can usually make it happen. You just need to know where to start...

GMan1976

Banned
Steve Wilkins said:
Hmmm...definitely the wrong place to ask that question. Did you not think that there are mods on here that are IP's and have access to your email address.....and the school you graduated from? Good luck my friend. You've been pegged. Hope you're a hell of a stick and can think quick under pressure.

Steve, read my above reply. Not looking for the easy route, just trying to stay USN and go through as much of the program as possible w/ my buddies (comraderie). Is that so wrong?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
actually, just asking because most of my pals are in 2 and 6. plus, I'd rather have all my training be Navy (not AF). Not a case of which is better or worse. You all tend to read way too far into things sometimes. but thanks for answering my question (?)... kinda makes ya not want to even ASK questions on here huh?

You haven't been around long enough. This question is asked all the time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
actually, just asking because most of my pals are in 2 and 6. plus, I'd rather have all my training be Navy (not AF). Not a case of which is better or worse. You all tend to read way too far into things sometimes. but thanks for answering my question (?)... kinda makes ya not want to even ASK questions on here huh?
You did kind of get the fire hose here, but you had to expect that from this crowd. Also, from personal experience, playing the "I'm a prior and know how things are done" card will only get you so far - use it sparingly and at your own peril.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
Steve, read my above reply. Not looking for the easy route, just trying to stay USN and go through as much of the program as possible w/ my buddies (comraderie).
Then why don't you say that out of the opening gate, instead of things like "work the system ... to avoid ... "? That kind of verbage tends to color the discussion, yes? Everyone here wants to help you with valid questions --- believe it. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, no one's gonna slam you for being curious, but your comments about "gaming the system" kind of came across as an "I'm too good to mix with the AF"/"Semper I" attitude. It's cool to have preferences; I wanted VT-6 and got VT-3, but I still made it through and got my first choice. And the whole "Air Force guys are all homos" statement is overrated beyond simple interservice harrassment. I'm a (Navy) VT-3 alum, my onwing was an A-10 pilot, and there were guys of every service who were cool as hell and others who were dorks. That goes for students and instructors. Had some of everything when I was there, AF, CG, Navy, Marine and even a couple Army flight docs. But all the squadrons go from the same syllabus, so it's not like the differences are huge.

Food for thought: in my advanced class we have 2 former VT-3 guys, a VT-2 guy, a VT-6 guy, another from VT-27 and one who went through Moody. Our differences are due to our own abilities, not where we went through Primary.

GMan1976

Banned
nittany03 said:
And the whole "Air Force guys are all homos" statement is overrated beyond simple interservice harrassment. .

I'm not the one who made that comment. As a matter of fact, my roomate is AF. I also have family in the AF. I just prefer USN schooling.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
I'm not the one who said all AF are homos. As a matter of fact, my roomate is AF. I also have family in the AF. I just prefer USN schooling.

"As a matter of fact, my roommate is black. I also have black friends."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't worry about it too much, it really does NOT matter where you go to Primary. As many guys here in Rhino-land came through VT-3 as they did -2, -6, 27, -28, and Vance.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Everyone here wants to help you with valid questions --- believe it. :)
No kidding.

When I hear things like "work the system," I have flashbacks to my days as a divo and some of my guys trying to "work the system." Nothing pisses me off more, and I have very little patience for officers who display that type of attitude. GMan, maybe in your case you didn't mean to come across like this. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But if I were you, I wouldn't worry about what I think. I have no connection to the aviation community other than this forum. I'd be more concerned with those IP's on here who do know who you are now.

GMan1976

Banned
Steve Wilkins said:
I'd be more concerned with those IP's on here who do know who you are now.

I highly doubt there are any IPs "out to get me" now. My question seems pretty valid. It's no secret that most studs (AF and USN) prefer to stay with their service. That's even a common topic of conversation amongst IPs, studs, and API faculty all around NAS Pcola and Whiting. Again, I wasn't discrediting any particular squadron, just asking a general admin question. Sure, my original choice of words weren't the best, and I've since cleared that up. But I don't necessarily think any IP wrath or threats of that nature are warranted.

I mean, c'mon now, Steve... seriously???

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
I don't necessarily think any IP wrath or threats of that nature are warranted.

I mean, c'mon now, Steve... seriously???
As if they're going to come on here and verify what I'm telling you. Like I said, I hope you're a good stick and are quick on your feet.....seriously.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Seriously, if an IP out there is going to stick it to this kid for wanting a particular squadron, he's a d!ck. I'm quite sure that new IPs reporting in are trying to get whatever squadron (HTs/VTs, 2,3,6,8,18) based on what they want to fly or where their buds are, too.

That said, the half life of a VTs reputation is probably about 6 months to a year at most. VT-27 was once "The Volleyball Squadron" and then "Stallag 27" all in about a year. I can clearly recall VT-2 being called VT-Screw, and now dudes are evidently fighting to get in there.

You'll probably have about zero input to where you go anyway.

Maybe somebody could start a private forum for the VT studs so they could get the gouge on stuff like this, as well as which instructors are tools, etc. without "The Man" keeping them down. Just a thought.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
I can clearly recall VT-2 being called VT-Screw, and now dudes are evidently fighting to get in there.
Yea, I can recall that too....back in '99. That's quite a half life.

Harrier Dude said:
Maybe somebody could start a private forum for the VT studs so they could get the gouge on stuff like this, as well as which instructors are tools, etc. without "The Man" keeping them down. Just a thought.
Well, the establishment of a private forum for the studs is up to the Webmaster. However, I would imagine that one of the IP's would be a mod. Sound like a plan?