• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZSkegee

You Attend OCS because you will recievie training on your military bearing, and general information to help you start your military service as an officer. Those who served on active duty for years, and selected for STA-21 shouldnt have to do OCS because they already have military bearing etc, the Newport RI program is a rigourous physical conditioning program and to help math and science skills and gives prior enlisteds a framework of what being an officer is about, but for a civilian who had no ROTC and wants to join the military , comes your purpose for an OCS, and even after then you still need 1-3 years of learning from chiefs and petty officers and other officers to become profiencent.

trclarkjr

Thanks dmcarter, I found out that because I was prior enlisted and now an activated reservest that I have to do take things from both active duty and civilian side. I can't have the CO I work for do the endorcement I have to get the CO of the reserve unit do it. So things have a twist from what I started on. I have to try and move things around a bit now. At this point I don't know if it will help me or make things more complex. If any one else has gone through this, any advice would help.

dskeeters30

I'm enlisting under the AW/SAR-swimmer classification and would like to apply to OCS as soon as possible. I would like to go SNA or SNFO but have no prior flight experience. Would it be best to wait until I complete "A" school first or to begin the application process as soon as I complete Aircrew school?

AZSkegee

I took my ASTB test in "A" school, and it was very tidous to for my command to allow me that opportunity, and I am greatful to them that they gave me a chance. With that said, you can start the process in "A" school, I dont know how far you will get, but dont ask in boot camp, here are two examples that happened to me,(AH Humm Attention On Deck As I stood the quarterdeck watch during my fast cruise, the exhuasted looking LCDR glanced at me looking for something to nip pick on, then I asked him about OCS and enlisting with my college degree, he looked at my uniform and said you better tighten up that uniform if you want a shot at that, You can apply but you better be squared away(mind you I have good uniform appearence), another one UM Chief since we finished battle stations and dont have anything pressing to do before pass and review can I start my ocs application " Recruit Maybe You should do 4 years and get a feel of the enlisted side before thinking of becoming and officer" But My most Favorite example, during P-days at my Eye exam I chatted with a nice doc, and she recommended to my RDC's to do something concerning my situation. If anyone else has some shore stories I love to hear them

Fredster809

One of the most important parts of your OCS APP when enlisted is CO's endorsement. That being said I wouldn't rush to take the ASTB. You might learn the answers to a lot of the questions in your training. Study for the ASTB, but mostly concentrate on your military performance. Stand out at your command working as hard as you can for a year or so. Once you get the best eval in your division, start your OCS APP. The CO bottom lines it.

Status
Not open for further replies.