• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gresh

To all,
Do not be confused, I probably confused you. I am not applying for STA. I already have a BA and am applying for OCS directly. Does this change any of the requirements/restrictions?
-Gresh

frogggystyle

Follow this link -

http://www.geocities.com/frogggystyle/hobbies/ocs.html

I'm a prior that went to OCS. There are a few things that you are not told in some of the websites out there. I took that information and added upon it. There are also some really good links at the bottom to help you get more info. Good luck on your package!

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
As was said before, use the instruction and you cannot go wrong. I was accepted to OCS in April and will be classing up in Dec. I am a 30 year old MA1 with good evals and no warfare pin. I was told that I would never make it blah blah blah. I got no help from my CC and became the resident expert just by picking through the details of the instruction. Just remember that no one takes as much interest in advancing your career as you do or should. After I sent my package in it took three days to be accepted into the SNFO program with an OAR of 42. So, it can be done. Just keep trying. Good luck, Rob

DDriver

Gentlemen,

I took the ASTB recently for the first time. My OAR=43, AQR=4, PILOTFAR=5, POB/NFOFAR?=4. I don't know if this are competitive enough. I understand that I have to consider other things. But as far as those numbers - are they competitive enough? Yes, I am an active duty dude also. Somebody told me that they expect higher in BDCPs and ROTCs. The person who gave me the test said I can apply for anything but I want to make sure if it is realy competitive. The other guy who took the test with me said that anyone can retake it but no matter what they'll only consider the first one. Thanks.

HM2 CAT

Edited by - DDriver on 07/31/2002 00:22:43

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
That is crap. You can take it again after 30 days. Keep your head in the study guides, especially the USMC one, and you will do better the next time. I suggest you do. I'm a prior and I think I got cut some slack because my OAR was the same as yours, but my Pilot score was an eight. Keep trying. I think if you have good rec letters you will be fine.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
HM2, I think active duty falls into a different category as far as selection. I had to get a one point waiver for one of my scores and I still got my acceptance letter three days later to the NFO program. In fact, all of the scores you listed are exactly one point higher than mine. I would not waste any time and submit it as soon as possible. Good luck, Rob

Buck

Is it possible to go officer while enlisted w/o seperating from the service, as long as you have the degree before you entered?

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Yes, procedures are outlined in the opnav 1420. You can download it at www.bupers.navy.mil.

Gresh

Gents,
Has anyone out there procured a copy of the Marine Corps Mechanical Comprehension Hand Out? I am reviewing for my test and noticed a question that refers to this document. Thanks again for all of the encouragement.
-Gresh

cman

Gresh, I noticed the question about the hand out as well, but I've never seen it, nor have I ever seen anything posted about it. That's not to say that it's not out there though. I wasn't really worried about it after I saw the questions on the study guide. I thought they were fairly simple, and I consider my self pretty mechanically challenged.

I'm taking the ASTB Thursday. I'll post my impressions of the mechanical section vs. the study guide that night in the miscellaneus section of the forum if you want to look for it.

DDriver

Notes:
(1.) Study the marine corps ASTB. The questions on the test I took was very close to it! Some are almost exact
(2.) Read/understand almost all type of spatial apperception reviewer/book. The Marine handout doesn't have this. That probably was the worst section for me(zero flight experience).
(3.) Math section?? -I am working on a technical major. But I felt that anybody can do good on it regardless of his/her field. Almost half are just highschool type word problems or common sense. It's the time pressure that makes it hard.

Hope this helps

Gresh

Well gents I got my scores back. Everyone weigh in and let me know what my chances are. OAR 44, PFAR 7, AQR 5. That is all that really matters. I have a 3.33 college GPA and descent grades from High School. Be kind......
-Gresh

kaiangel

I am an active duty guy going aviation through an officer program and compared to many guys I know who get selected for aviation your scores look fine. It is very clear that we are held to a lower standard, in terms of GPA and ASTB scores, than the civilians.

Oliver

When you are applying from enlisted to officer is the Navy less likely to promote you if you took an enlistment bonus. Do they tend to promote form certain areas more. Or is it just how well you record looks.

kaiangel

From my experience the Navy does not care if you got an enlistment bonus, or if you are collecting an SRB. Also, as long as your test scores are high and you have great evaluations then you should get accepted regardless of specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.