• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gresh

Well, I am finally in the position of the most painful wait of my life. I have finally sent my package/ application to PERS for consideration. I have been told that my package is very strong however, I am not so sure. I should know by 22NOV02. Wish me luck. Good luck to you all as well!
-Gresh

Brianlegg

"This guy's name is: Ed Phillips Officer Programs (Code 3118)"

I sent my Package off last Wednesday and today received an E-mail from Ed asking for a copy of my Birth Certificate. I could not find in the 1410 Instruction where it asked for this. Has anyone else heard of this requirement or had to submit their Birth Certificate as well?

Brian

WFU2USN

Brian,

Yes, you'll need an original copy of your birth certificate. I had to get one for my package, as well.

Robin

Brianlegg

Robin,
You said "Original". Ed asked me to fax it over to him. I have a copy in my service record that I could pull out copy and fax. I'm assuming this would suffice. Does anyone else think that I should get a new copy from my home state mailed?

Brian

WFU2USN

Brian,

If they'll take the faxed copy - great! :-D I'd just verify that it'll be alright with that and than you'll not have worry about the original right now. At the same time, you may want to get an original because some states require one to get a driver's license in that state (I know - you may just have your home state lic. and not need to worry!! :-D) It never hurts to have the original!!

:)Robin

Ed

Hi everyone,

My name is Ed Phillips. I just received information about this web site. I am the OCS processor for all fleet applicants (USN, USNR-TAR, SELRES). I see every active duty application that is submitted to Commander, Navy Recruiting Command (CNRC). Any active duty personnel who have questions concerning the OCS program and feel they are not getting the correct information from their Command Career Counselors or chain of command can contact me. If you are civilian applicants, you must contact your officer recruiter as I cannot help you.

The application procedure is different from active duty versus civilian. I will not get into the differences, except to say that active duty personnel are "looked at" in a different perspective than civilian applicants. With that said the OCS program is very competitive right now and even getting more competitive. There are various reasons for this that I will not get into.

To give you some background about me, I am a retired Navy Chief and I understand the significance of what you are trying to accomplish.

The selection process can seem screwed up to some people who are not privy as to what goes on. Some applicants get selected in a matter of days others may take up to several months. It does not mean the applicants who get selected faster are any better qualified than others who take longer. There are many, many reasons for this.

Read OPNAVINST 1420.1. Chapter two deals with how to fill out the application and chapter seven deals with OCS in particular. There are some mistakes in the instruction I have been trying to get fixed for quit awhile. One is the check off sheet that states we want your high school transcripts. That is wrong we need your college transcripts with proof of degree. There are only two documents we will accept as proof of degree (1) final transcript with degree awarded on it or (2) letter from the school stating you have completed all requirements for graduation with a copy of your latest transcript.

I do not need original documents of anything unless I request them. Copies/faxes are fine.

OCS is a recruiting program where numbers are always changing. Do not believe someone if they tell you a program is closed without checking with me or another authority source. For example everyone says SWO is closed. For civilians it is, but we were able to get a few active duty SWO applicants into OCS for FY03. We will start sending FY04 selects to OCS in July and 04 looks to be a very competitive year. Just don't give up after your first try. I was just talking to a select last week who got picked up on his second try. He told me his XO had to try three times.

My contact information is:
Ed Phillips
901-874-9220
DSN 882-9220
PhillipsE@cnrc.navy.mil
ocsquestions@cnrc.navy.mil

Email is the best way to get ahold of me as I receive a ton of phone calls. If you need an answer ASAP do not hesitate to call. The ocsquestions email is answered by the actual officers who sit on the OCS board at CNRC that make the final select/non select decisions. Civilians and active duty can submit questions to ocsquestions. Sometimes when the officers are overloaded I will help out and answer questions as I do have access to that email account.

Good Luck to all OCS Applicants,
Ed Phillips

Ed Phillips

Ed

Goliath112

Yes, only if you have already obtained your degree. Contact me at my contact info provided.

Ed

Ed Phillips

ActiveCal

Ed,

Sir, I am an EM2 and I will recieve my BA in Tech Mgt. My XO said I should cross rate to something that would support my degree. I think she was a program director at OCS. Would that help me any to cross rate or stay in a ENG rating? Would it matter? I am looking into SWO/Intel/Sup.

Ed

ActiveCal,

Contact me at my contact info above. I am unable to make comments on this website anymore.

Ed

Ed Phillips

trclarkjr

Ed. I'm done with the App and have a physical done but was told that I need one done by a flight serg. to send it with the package. Other than the app, the interviews, and pages from my record, what do you need with it for Pilot, NFO or the others?

dmcarter

trclarkjr, I was just selected for SNA and to report to OCS on Nov. 15. My experience with the application is that I did not send anything extra with the application, only that which was called for in 1420. It is not true that the physical has to be done by Flight Surgeon, however, if one is available, it wouldn't hurt. I did not have mine done by a flight surgeon. My understanding is that it will be reviewed by a flight surgeon at the time of the review for selection. The only thing that I made sure that I had was a depth perception test done at the local MEPS station. Everything else was per 1420. The most important things that I saw that would make you stand out would be your ASTB scores, type of degree and GPA, and your CO's endorsement, provided all the other requirements were met. Hope this helps.

Bushmaster

Originally posted by kaiangel
The STA program requires you to go through OCS after you finish your BA.

I looked for this information but couldn't find anywhere... The official website says :

1.Selection
2.NSI
3.College
4.Commissioning

It sounds much more like a NROTC program and you go to NSI, so why do you go to OCS? Can someone shed some light on this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.