• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Easy question for people in the know about F/A-18s.

darrylcn

I feel I've asked this before somewhere but I haven't been able to find that thread on any of the forums I haunt so I'm asking here in the hope someone can help, thanks in advance:

The Legacy Hornet (Maybe Rhinos too) has a little crosshair on the right side of the HUD, a physical one not a projected one. Can someone please let me know what it is? Googling has yielded nothing.

Example, to the right of the heading tape:
Hud_on_the_cat.jpg

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Tells you where to raise/lower your seat for the proper sitting height to see through the HUD. Line up the crosshair with the dot on the other piece of glass.

I never use it. I like to sit a little higher than what it shows me.

There's a completely different boresight cue for JHMCS that I've never used, so I can't speak to it.

darrylcn

Ah ok thanks. I've said it before but as an "adult" who grew up as a plane geek kid, this place is awesome. I'm glad non military types like me are allowed to hang out here.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if there is such a thing for our B737 HUD. I flew the sim twice before I noticed a bunch of info at the bottom of the HUD display that I wasn't seeing because I was sitting too low. To see everything I have to sit higher than I like.

johnson42

Tells you where to raise/lower your seat for the proper sitting height to see through the HUD. Line up the crosshair with the dot on the other piece of glass.

I never use it. I like to sit a little higher than what it shows me.

There's a completely different boresight cue for JHMCS that I've never used, so I can't speak to it.

It is interesting that people think that is what it is used for. It seems making it like that could be a good idea, but it would be strange for the HUD to be made with something blocking the view (even a little) when each individual probably likes sitting at different heights like you said.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It is interesting that people think that is what it is used for. It seems making it like that could be a good idea, but it would be strange for the HUD to be made with something blocking the view (even a little) when each individual probably likes sitting at different heights like you said.

probably because nobody in the history of the Hornet has ever used it for any purpose.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
And this whole time I thought the FLIR designated targets.

Next you're gonna tell me the probe thing in the front isn't the gun.

Last edited:

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Haha I'm not saying anyone's ever used it, but that's what it is.

I was actually told the same thing by a sim guy when I was in the RAG. If you line them up it also lines up with the velocity vector which is where your designation would be. Probably made sense in the early days of the FA-18 when it was a pure GP weapon dropper.