• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Early Frocking - Good or Bad?

KBayDog

Just try to not make it any worse for the JOs still getting blown about.

wishful_thinking180.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I absolutely did. Actually wondering if you did.
I'll tell you plain...I DO NOT understand all the hemming and hawing and associated bullshit about taking every opportunity for higher rank and responsibility just as freaking fast as the Navy offers it to you. I must be missing something here...and if it's nothing more than "the bros won't love me no mo'..." then get over it. They never really loved you anyway...you all just huddled together against the storm. Now...some of the storm has passed for you. Just try to not make it any worse for the JOs still getting blown about.

No. No. No. See its not about shirking responsibility. I hope you would recognize that the folks (most of the folks) on this website don't do that. The point is that the O-4 thing is going to happen soon enough and before you know it you're going to be getting kicked in the face by the front office and catching spears in the back from JOPA - you will be the guy that has no (or few) vertical friendships - why rush that? Call it a cultural or generational thing but I'm highly suspect of guys who are in a hurry to put on the rusty oak leaves. My experience has been that the guys who sucked at being LTs are the ones in the biggest hurry to be LCDRs. I am NOT saying this is the case with the OP as I don't know him - however I would still encourage him to ask hard questions about what getting frocked (potentially, instruction permitting) is really going to buy him.

/Standing in corner hemming and hawing/

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I absolutely did. Actually wondering if you did.
I'll tell you plain...I DO NOT understand all the hemming and hawing and associated bullshit about taking every opportunity for higher rank and responsibility just as freaking fast as the Navy offers it to you. I must be missing something here...and if it's nothing more than "the bros won't love me no mo'..." then get over it. They never really loved you anyway...you all just huddled together against the storm. Now...some of the storm has passed for you. Just try to not make it any worse for the JOs still getting blown about.

How did you interpret this as hemming and hawing:
OP said:
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting frocked early to O-4? I have an opportunity to move into an O-4 billet soon within my command but i'm not sure how that would affect career timing (if at all), and if there are any other issues involved.

The guy is just asking what the implications will be WRT FITREPS and career timing - a completely legit question. Everybody simmer the fuck down.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In the Joint world, there is a big difference between O-3 and O-4. For everone but the Navy you are now Field Grade not Company Grade anymore. O-4's wear scrambled eggs except in the Navy and USCG.
In the Army an O-4 is the XO of a Battalion.
In the Marines and O-4 is the XO of the squadron or battalion.

There difference between O-3 and O-4 in the Army and Marine Corps is comperable to the difference between O-4 and O-5 in the Navy.
Based on my experience in the joint world, this is very true. If everyone meets you as an O-4, you will be taken more seriously than if they meet you as an O-3 even though you later pin on O-4.

Renegade One

None
How did you interpret this as hemming and hawing:

The guy is just asking what the implications will be WRT FITREPS and career timing - a completely legit question. Everybody simmer the fuck down.
Crud...I'm an idiot. You and the others are obviously correct...took me THREE reads of the OP for the light to come on. Don't suppose you could do me a favor and just delete my earlier drivel just so's I don't keep showing my ass on this thread.:(

hscs

pilot
how much more seriously will you be taken as an O-4? Again, that question is coming from an O-4....
Agreed - we had a USAF an O-3 (who was selected for O-4) in the major joint command that I am at - no change in how he was treated - he was still just a lowly action officer.....

Renegade One

None
The OP...
Virtu: I owe you a great big fat "dumb ass" apology for completely misunderstanding your original question and then creating a maelstrom of crap that was totally unresponsive to your situation. Sorry.
That said...congrats on the selection for O-4 (I hope you regard it as the big deal it is...), and congrats, as well, on being highly enough regarded to be offered a "frocking/spot promotion billet". Seems the Bureau folks think you can weather a new competitive category (or maybe a 1 0f 1) before DH screen, and hopefully the smarter folks who all gave good advice above have set your mind at ease. Onward and upward!
Best regards, R1

Jim Davis

Ask yourself this..Would you have rather been passed over Peter Pan? We didn't put so much thought into it. It was a reason to party in the PI. Oh wait, we never needed a reason to party in the PI. It is a sign that you are growing up. It is the respect without the responsibility. It is a good thing. Just think, all of your friends will have to salute you and call you sir. and the joke is on them because you make the same as them.

KBayDog

Ask yourself this..Would you have rather been passed over Peter Pan? We didn't put so much thought into it. It was a reason to party in the PI. Oh wait, we never needed a reason to party in the PI. It is a sign that you are growing up...

"We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Starts at about 0:51...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ButThe important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Wow...did the onions repel Vampires like garlic necklaces?:eek:
BzB