• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-6B anthro restrictions

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm very aware of this, having been through API... The 0-6s I talked to said that its all but official. Take word of mouth for what it is, just that. My initial post may have been a little presumptuous. Either way, its looking like its on the way down. Thanks for the API refresher.

All those O-6's think so, huh? Know a lot of them? All but official ain't official, stop spreading rumors :( .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All those O-6's think so, huh? Know a lot of them? All but official ain't official, stop spreading rumors :( .

Hey Flash, what do you think? I've never done the math based on the anthro limits, but it would seem that the only real problem with sitting height would be if your helmet was hitting the canopy (I.E. using your head to break the canopy during ejection). I'm a medium sized guy (5'10") and I adjust the seat (as do many folks) so that the upper handle is all but unusable, so it would seem odd to make that a determinant of anthro limits. For the unwashed, the lower handle in the GRU-7EA seat is the way to go and use of the upper handle would pretty much be reserved for cases where the lower handle didn't work. Discussion?

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
For the unwashed, the lower handle in the GRU-7EA seat is the way to go and use of the upper handle would pretty much be reserved for cases where the lower handle didn't work. Discussion?

For a guy that hopes to be an ECMO, yes to discussion. Curious as to why you'd prefer the lower handles over the upper ones.

My first thought is ejection posture, but beyond that, clueless.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a guy that hopes to be an ECMO, yes to discussion. Curious as to why you'd prefer the lower handles over the upper ones.

My first thought is ejection posture, but beyond that, clueless.

It's mostly a flailing injury issue for the arms (better to have your arms tucked in tight to your body vice extended into the slipstream), but it's also usually quicker to grab the lower, unless you happen to be vigorously waiving to both your pilot and wingman at the same time. ;)

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As one who has "stepped out" ... do the terms "primary" and "secondary" still apply ... ???? You know, as opposed to "upper and lower" ... ???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As one who has "stepped out" ... do the terms "primary" and "secondary" still apply ... ???? You know, as opposed to "upper and lower" ... ???

We did not use Primary and Secondary, it was just upper and lower in the Prowler. It was commonly accepted that the lower handle was the way to go. Not only did you have a lower chance of flailing injuries but it was the easier one to reach when things went bad. All of the old hands said that no one had ever blown the canopy before ejecting from a Prowler and no one used the upper handle. I never saw documentation of either but I saw nothing to doubt it either, especially abotu the canopy.

Sitting in the back on a local hop you have a lot of time to burn sometimes and I went through the motions of ejecting and I thought I probably would not have the presence of mind to keep my arms in the right position to pull the upper handle, it felt more natural to me to throw my elbows out bringing the handle down. The motions of pulling the lower handle felt more natural and more compact. Yes, I actually thought it through pretty thoroughly....:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Flash, what do you think? I've never done the math based on the anthro limits, but it would seem that the only real problem with sitting height would be if your helmet was hitting the canopy (I.E. using your head to break the canopy during ejection). I'm a medium sized guy (5'10") and I adjust the seat (as do many folks) so that the upper handle is all but unusable, so it would seem odd to make that a determinant of anthro limits. For the unwashed, the lower handle in the GRU-7EA seat is the way to go and use of the upper handle would pretty much be reserved for cases where the lower handle didn't work. Discussion?

Brett

That is what I would think, I saw a pretty good variety of different sized people in the Prowler. Bucket was in your squadron after mine, and he was a pretty big boy both height and weight wise....;) On the other end, some of the gals looked like they barely hit a buck-15. The only gal I knew who was disqualified from Prowlers was because she was so short she could not reach all of the controls, and she was around 5'1". I thought they were pretty liberal with the anthro measurements, if it is this big of an issue I wonder if they have changed them. Other than the extremes, almost everyone I saw qualified for Prowlers. Unless you are much taller than average, 6'4" or above, or shorter than average, 5'3" or below, I am thinking that most people are going to be eligible for Prowlers (the figures are guesses).

Why the big concern or issue about the anthro's anyways? Are people really that hard up to be bug backseaters? Gimme a break, you will be flying them anyways if you do more than one tour. Quit sweating it.....:icon_roll

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bucket was in your squadron after mine, and he was a pretty big boy both height and weight wise....;)

Bucket, AKA Stompy, AKA big fat POS, AKA let's try to land on the road vice runway at Bagram, AKA guy who decides to suddenly go dirty in the GCA pattern w/o telling or otherwise signaling his wing. He was "that guy" who wrote up the "lap belts too short" gripe on more than one jet, earning him a well-deserved ass chewing session w/ our XO. I can't believe a certain CO recommended him for TPS. That guy is a walking cluster-fvck.

Brett

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Why the big concern or issue about the anthro's anyways? Are people really that hard up to be bug backseaters? Gimme a break, you will be flying them anyways if you do more than one tour. Quit sweating it.....:icon_roll

Pardon the ignorance, but how do you end up flying both?

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Ah, right. But that's a Navy thing only, as I hear it. I was thinking Marine side, as in going from the Prowler to the -18D. Marines in the Prowler are going to stay with it, say my sources. :icon_tong

doubledeuce

Tartan
None

Brett

I am not anthro'd from Prowlers but did ride in one and the upper handle seemed to be putting pressure on the top of my helmet, almost catching on the velcro patch on top, is that normal?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not anthro'd from Prowlers but did ride in one and the upper handle seemed to be putting pressure on the top of my helmet, almost catching on the velcro patch on top, is that normal?

Yeah, especially in the front seat where most guys will adjust the seat higher than if they're in the back. You get used to it and really don't sit with your head back that far into the headrest.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bucket, AKA Stompy, AKA big fat POS, AKA let's try to land on the road vice runway at Bagram, AKA guy who decides to suddenly go dirty in the GCA pattern w/o telling or otherwise signaling his wing. He was "that guy" who wrote up the "lap belts too short" gripe on more than one jet, earning him a well-deserved ass chewing session w/ our XO. I can't believe a certain CO recommended him for TPS. That guy is a walking cluster-fvck.

Brett

He was actually recommended for TPS?! I knew he wanted to go really bad, he told everyone that he wanted to get the hours and quals and go to TPS (including the Skipper and XO), in less than 2 months after he got to the squadron.....:confused: Yes, he was that guy......;) What did he get?

I heard the lap belt story from our mutual friend, pretty funny. Always trying to work the system in his favor, and being as subtle about it as a bull in a china shop.....

P.S. It takes a lot to annoy my wife (she puts up with me!) but Bucket and his lady still come up occasionally as examples of people who pissed her off, (Prowler Ball)......:(