• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it just me or does it seem logical that the jet studs would be the first to transition to the C models, and that it'd be a while before they had the E2/C2 guys in the newer planes? Or would they do it by class, ie-everyone who checked in/started together?

It's not just you. I feel the same way.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I just can't imagine going from a glass cockpit/HUD aircraft to the COD. I flew the T-2C in VT-4 and that was a step up from the C-2 (barely). The COD is such a ****ing piece of crap in today's aviation world. It's a good job to have, just a pain in the ass to fly.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just can't imagine going from a glass cockpit/HUD aircraft to the COD. I flew the T-2C in VT-4 and that was a step up from the C-2 (barely). The COD is such a ****ing piece of crap in today's aviation world. It's a good job to have, just a pain in the ass to fly.

Is there any plans to upgrade them to glass cockpits, modern avionics, and whatnot?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Is there any plans to upgrade them to glass cockpits, modern avionics, and whatnot?

There is an upgrade waiting to be funded but what are we upgrading? You can only polish a turd so far. If the C-2B is funded, the timeline met, a new airplane should be on the flightline in 2017 :icon_slee

kray1395

What about for the E-2C? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about upgrades in the cockpit to include glass cockpits. Also something about the second pilot being able to perform some of the same duties that the guys in the tube are doing by bringing up some of the same displays to the cockpit. How far is the community away from this or is this bogus info?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about for the E-2C? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about upgrades in the cockpit to include glass cockpits. Also something about the second pilot being able to perform some of the same duties that the guys in the tube are doing by bringing up some of the same displays to the cockpit. How far is the community away from this or is this bogus info?

Isn't that Hawkeye 2000? I thought I've seen pictures of E-2C with glass cockpits.

The "navy vision" has an E-2D in it.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Isn't that Hawkeye 2000? I thought I've seen pictures of E-2C with glass cockpits.

The "navy vision" has an E-2D in it.

Yup, the HE2K has glass. And as for the E-2D... no need or desire for the proposed refueling probe, but I guess it will be sweet justice when the Super Tanker uses all its advanced avionics and weapons/extra fuel tanks to top me off for another 5 hours of circles. Oh joy!

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
I would sh!t myself if they started a C stud class in Kingsville in Jan...ain't happenin. There are only like 10 total C jets....unless they arrive in droves, or we steal some from Meridian and we get more than one sim that doesn't freeze after 45 min of use...I would say summer '06 at the earliest...but thats just me pissing in the wind...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Not to ressurect an old thread, but what's the life in general like in an E-2 squadron (specifically for NFO's)? Things like flying time, collateral duties, wardrooms, deployments etc...

Thanks, Bubba

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Honestly, no diff than any other platform. Some things are universal...start out w/ small jobs, work on your crew quals, eventually get your mission commander qual, get better JO jobs. You see guys slinging mud at each other (good-natured) from the pilot-NFO angle but everyone gets along and hangs out just fine. Lots of fun, and you typically have more in your ready room than any other platform (~25). Flying time is as seen fit by Ops and Training to get you qual'ed and keep you current/proficient (not necessarily the same thing). You'll typically fly every day on deployment as an E-2 NFO - not a bad thing. All in all, it's a good life. :)

ip568

None
The E-2D is coming with a refueling probe. So get ready to take a leak and/or a crap in your seat in the next version. At least in the P-3 we had a bucket.

Goober

None
Never used the bucket and flew plenty of 12 hr hops in the P-3 without using the can either. You guys should learn to go before you leave the house. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
Never used the bucket and flew plenty of 12 hr hops in the P-3 without using the can either. You guys should learn to go before you leave the house. :D
Yeah, what is wrong with people? I do, however, know a couple folks who have moved their bowels in the Prowler - Navbag anyone? :eek:

Brett

Goober

None
Brett327 said:
Yeah, what is wrong with people? I do, however, know a couple folks who have moved their bowels in the Prowler - Navbag anyone? :eek:

Brett
Well, I'll say this. Never say you're never going to go in the plane, cause sure as..well, you know...you'll need to (hmm...that wilted lettuce salad and mystery meat burrito at lunch doesn't seem like such a good idea now, does it).

The smart man carries a plastic bag folded up in his vest and a strategic stash of TP in his helmet bag. Not that you'd need it, but hey - you never know. ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Crowbar said:
I intentionally did not make this a link, just copy/paste it (except the "URL=" part, duh). Warning, don't do it unless you have like an hour or two to kill.

URL=http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=44435
I didn't try your link but I can guess the thread....it is one of the few worth reading over there.....enjoy