• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the college matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
saltpeter said:
Does the college you go to make any differences, hmmm, I don't know, but I have to ask why the boat schoolers always wear the rings when it's fitreps time?
Nothing could be further from the truth. Being an academy guy buys you nothing in that respect. If there were any anecdotal favoritism of that type, it would just be cancelled out by the next non-academy front office. Net effect is zero. It's a myth from a bygone era and a non-issue.

Keeping it real,

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
vegita1220 said:
Since when were they forcing people to go nuke?

Anyway, I'm just saying that some aviation principles come straight out of engineering concepts, an engineer who "got it" legitimately and understood it is probably not going to be suffering. With a history major, he might do well, but he could just as easily be a total space cadet. Of course there're no guarantees, but it just seems that one would offer better odds for success. I'd really be surprised if a MIT grad had problems with the academics in flight school. I wouldn't be too surprised if a history major from your local community college had a tougher time than his peers.

If you've gone ROTC and taken naval ship systems, you might know what I mean. The engineers or those in other majors who do fine in calc and physics requirements think it's the easiest crap in the world. Then there're the lib arts kids who're just totally out of their element, even though it's supposed to be dumbed down enough for anybody to understand. But I'm not saying lib arts means you're an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff either. They might have what it takes and just not want to bother with the hassle.
There is nothing overtly technical in flight school. I made it through on the Commodore's list and I had a 10th grade education at the time. Trust me, you won't be using any physics or calculus when operating your aircraft in the fleet. EW is arguably one of the more "technical" missions in TACAIR and folks seem to grasp it just fine. If you can count on your fingers and toes, you'll make a fine aviator. ;)

Keeping it real,

Brett

Kbay, sorry if that came across wrong. If somebody has "it" but thinks government is more interesting, that's fine by me. When I say they didn't want to bother, that's not accurate, as I know they simply weren't interested in doing problem sets every semester...but fine with pages and pages of readings and papers.
I wasn't saying they were lazy, although I realize it sounds like that. My fault.

OTOH, I think you'd agree with me when I say it's BS to have a system that punishes people who decide to take a more technical major where their GPAs tend to be lower...but based on the last two selection classes, that doesn't actually seem to be the case.

Any classes that teach how to count on fingers and toes? ...I get scared without my TI. j/k

KBayDog

vegita1220 said:
OTOH, I think you'd agree with me when I say it's BS to have a system that punishes people who decide to take a more technical major where their GPAs tend to be lower...but based on the last two selection classes, that doesn't actually seem to be the case.

Again, I can't agree with you. If a person has "it," he will make the grades regardless of major. There are just as many lower GPAs with non-technical majors as there are with technical ones - if you have "it," you will put in the time, effort, and make the grades.

Don't sweat the GPA - it isn't the end-all, be-all of the selection process.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on my experiences in my ROTC unit with the cross town schools and the various majors, a 3.0 in an engineering discipline is worth more than a 3.0 in a liberal arts discipline. The Navy agrees. You are awarded a few more points for technical degrees when it comes to service selection time.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Let me break it down retard style (becuase I am retarded usually)

The items that are considered at service selection:
GPA (HUGE)
Major (Small bonus to tech majors)
Proffesor of Naval Sci Score/Rank
ASTB

No where in that pie is there a "what school did you go to" block.

All this being said, I LOVE guys who have NEVER been involved with an NROTC battalion giving advice on how the NROTC selection process goes with total BOGUS info.

Lastly, an aviation degree is a fine degree, and can be very useful. I will caution you, DO NOT be one of those guys who show up to API, PRIMARY or ADVCANCED with the "I have XXXX hrs and XXXX ratings, therefore I am the ace of the base," attitude. Couple reasons, your peers will HATE YOU! More importantly though, IP's will hate you. Be humble and use your extra knowledge to complement what you are being taught, not to claim that you have a better way of doing it. There is only 1 way, the navy way....

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Pags said:
The navy can't send you to nuke school. Subs is a volunteer program, just like aviation.

What about surface nukes (SWON's)? I know they go to sea before going to nuke school, but can someone be forced into that occupation?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
etnuclearsailor said:
What about surface nukes (SWON's)? I know they go to sea before going to nuke school, but can someone be forced into that occupation?

Forced into surface? or forced into surface-nuke?? My buddy is going surface-nuke and was definitely not forced into it. He wanted to do surface-nuke because of the engineering aspect and how well-rounded he will be. You have a choice of going nuke.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
firefriendly said:
Pags thats not what I was saying at all....Of course engineers can hack it as pilots...they are extremely intelligent. I was pointing out that you don't necessarily NEED that type of background to be a SUCCESSFUL aviator. My other point was that the Navy loooooooves engineers becuase they can do a job that not many can....submarine warfare. What are you talking about...the Navy certainly can deny your selection for aviation and select you for sub warfare. I'm not talking about OCS or BDCP. I was talking about ROTC. You misunderstood me. (bch if you were referring to me I was a member of an NROTC battalion)

not talking about you, it should be fairly obvious to the few that I am talking to

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
&*%^&*^#*$& NP, basically if I gave you neg rep points I was talking about u. was trying to not single people out, but I guess I will next time.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Hmmm ... a few notes ...

What college you go to has no relation to your selection.

What your major was has no relation to how well you'll do in flight school (just get the f'ing gouge and all will be well with the world).

Picking a major that you can do something with when you get out ... who's going to want you with zero experience in your field and ten years out of school ... maybe they will, but not in Chemistry that's for damn sure (I've data dumped all of that cr@p).

I picked my major because I wanted to do it, not for any other reason. I could just as easily have been a geography major like my buddy was

Bottom line, pick something/somewhere you'll enjoy - you are more likely to put in the time and effort if you enjoy it (and thus get better grades and increase your chances of getting jets ... oops ... getting selected).

Besides, I heard that all liberal arts majors were pansies ... :D (kidding)

49_1_b.JPG

Reactions: bch

KBayDog

bch said:
&*%^&*^#*$& NP, basically if I gave you neg rep points I was talking about u. was trying to not single people out, but I guess I will next time.

"Step three: With 'b!tch' drop the T, 'cause 'bich' is Latin for 'Generosity'..."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I can't give you "Rep" ... this control-freak (just kidding Web-san) Nazi system won't let me ... you got it exactly right, Varmint.

Fig1N.jpg
KEEN INSIGHT !!!

:)) smiles ... so many smiles :) -- to balance the hate )

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
KBayDog said:
"Step three: With 'b!tch' drop the T, 'cause 'bich' is Latin for 'Generosity'..."

"Step 2: Instead of sh!t say poo, as in 'bull poo', 'poo head' and this 'poo is cold'"

Status
Not open for further replies.