• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the college matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slitsoul

Does the college you attend have any impact on your future career in the navy or MC? For example, do certain ROTC units get more respect from the navy or are certain schools better for future pilots. Or, does it not matter at all once you are in the navy what school you went to, and does your overall gpa even matter to get into certain programs like flight school, or are admissions solely based on test scores?

Also, I was looking up information on Embry Riddle Aeronautics University, this school teaches you to fly while earning you BS. Does ROTC pay for this flight training which is $10,000 a year? If they don't, why would any future pilot want to go there and pay the money for training if the military would later pay for this exact training??

Thanks for any advice.

beau

Grades are everything! So going to a school that is known to be tough might not be a good Idea. Unless you are a true motivator and can handle your ROTC and your School and still pull off the grads.

I cant tell you what college to go to! you have to decide that on your own.....but remember that you are competing for a slot among your peers at your unit and across the whole nation.....I would say find a Small Unit and a State school (my personal choice) because it matters little for the selection process....Grades are Number 1....get good grades.....get good selection. Certain Majors like engineering get a bonus....but like I said before, its small potatoes compared to your Overall Grades.

I cant tell you for sure if certain schools get the edge over others.....I would have to say a big no right now....but I just dont know!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
slitsoul said:
Does the college you attend have any impact on your future career in the navy or MC?

Only if it's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell U " .... (DADTU)
02-rally1-275.jpg

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
The school you go to DEFINITELY plays a role in whether or not you selected. Schools known to be more difficult academically are given greater weight than those regarded as easier. For example, a person with a 3.5 at Harvard will definitely have an edge over a 4.0 at a lesser-ranked school. Though I doubt this is extremely weighted in the overall scheme of things, it could be a deciding factor, especially with aviation as competitive as it has become.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
School plays very little in the selection process, if a school is acredited and or has ROTC you're fine.
Good luck finding many students at Harvard willing to serve this great nation of ours, I hope Im wrong but kicking ROTC off campus has not engendered a sense of patriotism or honor on that institution.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
scotty008 said:
The school you go to DEFINITELY plays a role

Let's see ... your DEFINITELY" has become a "could" in just 4 sentences .... hmmmmm .... by the way, the pix in my post WAS Harvard. Do ya think that is what the NAV is looking for ... ??? :)

Justice for Janitors !!!

edit ... spelling and more smiles so no one will hate me or think I went to college :) :)

SlickAg

pilot
The most important thing is setting yourself up for success like beau said. Scotty008 is not an NROTC guy and for his program maybe school is important. Don't try and game the system to where you end up at a "great NROTC program with a high SNA selection rate" where you'll be miserable and make bad grades. Focus on doing the best you can wherever you wind up. Grades grades grades.

Pags

N/A
pilot
skidkid said:
School plays very little in the selection process, if a school is acredited and or has ROTC you're fine.
Good luck finding many students at Harvard willing to serve this great nation of ours, I hope Im wrong but kicking ROTC off campus has not engendered a sense of patriotism or honor on that institution.

I've known at least 3 Harvard guys in the Navy/Marines.

That being said, don't shy away from a challenging school. While the school may not have any effect on selection, there might come a time when you're not in the military and having a degree from East Podunk State might not get you as far as you might want it to. Just a thought though.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a few and a couple of Yale guys and they are very good officers, doesnt change the fact that the institution is flawed. They chose to serve despite pressure from faculty not to. ROTC is not allowed on campus but left wing groups that advocate any number of violent actions are welcomed on Campus.

As for school choice in the civilian sector, I have friends from state schools who have done very well and some Ivy leaguers still living at home trying to discover themselves(really sad in your 30s). It is all on the individual and waht they do with the opportunities. Im not trying to diminish a hard good school and challenging yourself academically just pointing out that in the grand scheme of things school choice matters very little

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey, right after I busted the physical for the Boat School, I got NROTC full-ride scholarships to: Duke, U of W(ashington), UCLA, Brown, Southern Cal, and UCal Berkley --- I flew with Aviators from all these schools ---- do you think any of those schools would have made a difference in my chances ??

The only thing that matters (school-wise) is grades ..... believe otherwise at your peril.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Slick made a great point-ROTC is a far cry from applying for straight OCS, and the standards are different. As for Harvard, it was merely and example of a purely academic school. Nothing was meant to imply that it produces good future aviators. Personally, the general ideals found there as well as at similar schools make me sick. As for patriotism, I dont think I would be headed in my current direction without a love for my country.

slitsoul

What about a flying school such as Embry Riddle Aeronautics University, do you know if rotc would pay for flight cost every year, i checked the website, but it had the standard nrotc information. Would there be any advantage to going to a school such as this, it seems like a great start to an aviation career because they have a military / commercial airlines specialties. Any input?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Pags said:
I've known at least 3 Harvard guys in the Navy/Marines.

That being said, don't shy away from a challenging school. While the school may not have any effect on selection, there might come a time when you're not in the military and having a degree from East Podunk State might not get you as far as you might want it to. Just a thought though.

The 1st MCD had an article about a Harvard undergrad who's enlisting so he can see the enlisted side before going to OCS. That's hardcore.

There's two Columbia air (and two ground), and a handful of Yale PLC guys, as well as one Cornell grad here who went OCC.

We'd probably have more if there were actually an NROTC program in the NYC area, or a program on our campus as opposed to at another univ, but the Army and AF ROTC units have a fair Ivy representation.

(Fighting the good fight to return ROTC to my campus)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
Grades are everything! So going to a school that is known to be tough might not be a good Idea. Unless you are a true motivator and can handle your ROTC and your School and still pull off the grads.

Maybe you actually care about getting a quality education instead of going to a joke party school. I know I did. I wanted to actually learn something and apply myself. Engineering was the best decision I made for college.

Flying jets is harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.