• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the college matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Wait till you get out of BI's!!!

(Sorry dude, I just couldn't resist. Like I said, I'm the A-hole.)

I've been waiting too! Been waiting days to fly BI-10. We're low priority right now.

And yes, you are an a-hole, but I am too. In memory of Space Balls, "how many a-holes do we have on this ship anyway?!"

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
By the way, I agree--engineering was easier. But, not nearly as fun.

I'm with you bro. Engineering was very worthwhile, but crap it wasn't fun.

Anybody who passes through an MIT or other top notch engineering program, even if they just BARELY eke through, is clearly "smart." The kids I knew who got in there were just natural whiz kids who really loved that stuff...I had to force myself to buckle down and study the crap that didn't really interest me.

A guy with a 4.0 at his local community college may have had it tough in life, may have busted his ass, may have been naturally smart, or any combination of the above, but it does not guarantee he was "smart."

I have no idea how much schools matter, but if they didn't...the selection process would be pretty jacked up wouldn't it?

On the other side of things...a Princeton(or Harvard unless they fixed the grade inflation problems there) grad with a 3.3 could just be a legacy grad, and the 3.3 could come from gross grade inflation.

Didn't one of the NROTC LTs on the board already say that CNET or whoever is in charge of such things has the stats on the universities, individual colleges, average GPAs, etc.? I have a hard time believing the Navy could be so screwed up as to not have taken that logical step. <insert sarcastic quip about Navy or general DoD bureaucracy here>

And like somebody already said...there's always grad school to look forward to, whether or not you stay in the Navy. I'm pretty sure they look at where you're coming from academically.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
UI.. he hasn't even strapped in yet!!! I'd like to be there to watch that! Sorry Fly.. couldn't help... I remember my first time back there!

Hey retard, he knows that. We just talked about BI-10. Maybe you should LEARN TO READ. ;)

corner.jpg

P.S. I've been waiting for an excuse to use that picture. I figure this would be as good a time as any.

VAmookie

skidkid said:
I know a few and a couple of Yale guys and they are very good officers...

John Kerry... oh wait you said very good officers.

With that said, if you want the navy to pay for your shiz, look into an academy, although right now flight slots are low cause A-pool is so big (is my understanding anyways)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
With that said, if you want the navy to pay for your shiz, look into an academy, although right now flight slots are low cause A-pool is so big (is my understanding anyways)

Two points:

1) Since when is the Academy the only source of paid education? Ever heard of NROTC?

2) Flight slots now have zero impact on him selecting a college and going through a 4 year commissioning program.

KBayDog

vegita1220 said:
Anybody who passes through an MIT or other top notch engineering program, even if they just BARELY eke through, is clearly "smart." The kids I knew who got in there were just natural whiz kids who really loved that stuff...I had to force myself to buckle down and study the crap that didn't really interest me.

A guy with a 4.0 at his local community college may have had it tough in life, may have busted his ass, may have been naturally smart, or any combination of the above, but it does not guarantee he was "smart."

What do you mean by "smart?" If you are talking intelligence, IQ, or other numbers that try to quantify aptitude, you're a little off the mark. All passing through MIT or another top engineering program means that you are naturally inclined to be an engineer - not that you are necessarily "smart."

Take the same kid and send him through the culinary program at Johnson and Wales, or the theology program at Notre Dame, or the veterinary program at Ohio State - he could very well be lost in the sauce.

We all have different gifts and abilities. Take a group like Mensa, whose only criteria is that you have an IQ in the top 2% of the population. Their membership consists of everyone from astrophysicists to convicted felons. Not 100% engineers from MIT.

Or flight training. There are guys who ace flight training who were theater majors, yet some engineers can't pass the ASTB.

MIT doesn't mean you are "smart." It means you were meant to go to MIT.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
One caution about aviation majors, e.g. Embry-Riddle. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you fly in the military and get out when the aviation industry is in the toilet (hmmm), you won't have a degree in another field to fall back on.

Pags

N/A
pilot
firefriendly said:
Engineers don't always make good pilots....they make good nuke officers (generally) and if the navy realizes you are smart enough to go to nuke school....they have ever right in sending you there. Alot of the aviators I've met were sociology/history/polysci/business/etc etc majors.

Your degree will in no way guarantee your success at flight school. There seem to be plenty of engineers on this board, and they seem to be making it. I know plenty of guys who were engineers and are excellent pilots. Plus, if you're into the whole TPS deal, it'd be pretty tough to get there with a Basket Weaving Degree.

The navy can't send you to nuke school. Subs is a volunteer program, just like aviation.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Im currently at Embry-Riddle and in NROTC. The program does pay for all your flight training if you are under scholarship and it is required for your major. That is for private, instrument, commerical, and multi-engine. The cost of flying at riddle as it says online is not accurate, it is a lot more (>10,000). I have a feeling in the next couple of years the navy is going to see that they are paying a s**t load of money and will cut back paying for flying but only time will tell.

Make sure you call NROTC at Embry-Riddle to get the most current infromation.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
The navy can't send you to nuke school. Subs is a volunteer program, just like aviation.

THey're a little different. I know of people that got selected aviation against their will. The volunteer part of aviation is that you can DOR from it.

saltpeter

Does the college you go to make any differences, hmmm, I don't know, but I have to ask why the boat schoolers always wear the rings when it's fitreps time?

Since when were they forcing people to go nuke?

Anyway, I'm just saying that some aviation principles come straight out of engineering concepts, an engineer who "got it" legitimately and understood it is probably not going to be suffering. With a history major, he might do well, but he could just as easily be a total space cadet. Of course there're no guarantees, but it just seems that one would offer better odds for success. I'd really be surprised if a MIT grad had problems with the academics in flight school. I wouldn't be too surprised if a history major from your local community college had a tougher time than his peers.

If you've gone ROTC and taken naval ship systems, you might know what I mean. The engineers or those in other majors who do fine in calc and physics requirements think it's the easiest crap in the world. Then there're the lib arts kids who're just totally out of their element, even though it's supposed to be dumbed down enough for anybody to understand. But I'm not saying lib arts means you're an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff either. They might have what it takes and just not want to bother with the hassle.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
vegita1220 said:
If you've gone ROTC and taken naval ship systems, you might know what I mean.

Funniest class in the world. That and Weapon Systems. The non-technical majors SQUIRM. Those classes are amazingly dumbed down to a very basic level. Oh we loved those classes.

KBayDog

vegita1220 said:
But I'm not saying lib arts means you're an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff either. They might have what it takes and just not want to bother with the hassle.

OR-

They might have "what it takes," as you put it, but have talents and interests that lie elsewhere - and not, "not want to bother with the hassle." Whether you intended it that way or not, you are implying that if you have engineering aptitude and decide not to use it, you are lazy.

Not necessarily true.

Let's say that you are a math guru like Will Hunting (I hear KBayDog shed a tear for that movie). What if you don't like math? What if you are more interested and decide to major in, say, kinesiology, because you want help others rehabilitate life-altering injuries? Does that mean that you "have what it takes" but didn't want to "bother with the hassle?"

Or does it simply mean that you decided to use your talents and interests in a non-engineering major?

Status
Not open for further replies.