• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
About 10 years ago, DAPS tried to mandate that they would not print NATOPS manuals anymore. The "staff" there tried to argue that there is not a need for hard copy pubs so they would just issue the NFM on CDs

They we showed them page 2 of the H-60 NFM which states "a copy of this manual shall be carried in the aircraft". We asked how we could use the CD in flight...

After their heads exploded, "they" decided that they would not produce hard copy pubs as a cost savings measure. So the squadrons were forced to bring the CD back to the local DAPS (or Kinkos) to get pubs published. So the publisher saved money and passed the expenses on to the customer!
I know the VP guys do it, but what's the point for the -60 guys? Don't you have a PCL?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Namely on open book NATOPS tests :cool:

I always get pissed at the NFOs when they take their NATOPs test. Pilots are furiously interpolating between 4105 and 5105 feet of ground roll, using the 1 millimeter apart bars on their charts while accounting for humidity, wind, the Coriolis effect, what the flight engineer ate for breakfast, and how much urine is in the pisser, all while the FOs are essentially being tested on their ability to use an Index, glossary, and table of contents.

I can't get out of the VPenis fast enough.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always get pissed at the NFOs when they take their NATOPs test. Pilots are furiously interpolating between 4105 and 5105 feet of ground roll, using the 1 millimeter apart bars on their charts while accounting for humidity, wind, the Coriolis effect, what the flight engineer ate for breakfast, and how much urine is in the pisser, all while the FOs are essentially being tested on their ability to use an Index, glossary, and table of contents.

I can't get out of the VPenis fast enough.
In VS I was tested on my ability to interpolate performance charts with a fat pencil AND using the index and glossary. You VP guys are getting off easy. That is just half the test we took. ;)

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
In VS I was tested on my ability to interpolate performance charts with a fat pencil AND using the index and glossary. You VP guys are getting off easy. That is just half the test we took. ;)

The VP (pilot) test makers write the questions so an index/glossary won't help you find the answer. It makes you a better pilot.

(note: 2nd sentence is indeed sarcasm, and the 1st is for reals.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The VP (pilot) test makers write the questions so an index/glossary won't help you find the answer. It makes you a better pilot.

(note: 2nd sentence is indeed sarcasm, and the 1st is for reals.)
OK. Got it. But to clarify, you are telling me that all the pilot test consists of are problems that require the use of charts and graphs? How do you write an open book test asking systems type questions where an index or table of contents isn't useful?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's 75% performance questions, 25% look ups. The index might work, but by now I know the like 10-15 canned look up questions verbatim and only go to the book to check myself.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
OK. Got it. But to clarify, you are telling me that all the pilot test consists of are problems that require the use of charts and graphs? How do you write an open book test asking systems type questions where an index or table of contents isn't useful?

The systems questions are on the closed-book!

But seriously, there are usually 4 lookup questions on the open-book.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm hoping the instrument suite in the t6 is reliable enough that I won't need to carry a Bluetooth GPS around "just in case" every other nav aid (with known bad gripes written) shits the bed in the goo. P3? Notsomuch.

It is, mostly... the database is a little bit more limited then the KLN-900 and the user interface is a little tricky making adhoc changes to your routing after building the flight plan into the system.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I know the VP guys do it, but what's the point for the -60 guys? Don't you have a PCL?
We do have a PCL but also carry the big book. I can personally think of 2 times I have used the big book during an EP. Some of the more important amplifying info, notes, technique etc are in the big book but not the PCL. Which is sad considering that the PCL has gotten considerably larger since I've been flying, but very little extra useful info has been added.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett said:
I do like flipping through a real NATOPS, but at some point, the ability to keyword search trumps any arcane note I may have scribbled three years ago.

I have those same thoughts...about once a year...usually the same month each year.

Never carried it in the Phrog (not required) or -57 (not required, and would probably put the bird over max gross anyway :D )

Interesting. It was required when I was as stud. I'm not sure it was ever opened, but usually one of the students would pack it in a nav bag.

We do have a PCL but also carry the big book. I can personally think of 2 times I have used the big book during an EP. Some of the more important amplifying info, notes, technique etc are in the big book but not the PCL. Which is sad considering that the PCL has gotten considerably larger since I've been flying, but very little extra useful info has been added.

I think the single biggest reason we carry it in the -60 is for the T/R emergencies. There's so much info in there that can be valuable (assuming it's just lost of control) to read through before coming in to land. Ironically, that whole section is pretty new, so before we had that, I think you're right on. There's some amplifying stuff that's helpful. It's also yet another reason why memorizing the SOP is stupid, since it's already in there, but whatever.

I do remember having to pull out the big book when I was in the RAG and we were heading to Vegas for the weekend. The tranny oil pressure dropped to zero. After consulting chapter 2 and figuring we were half-way there, we decided to press. Why not crash and die in Vegas instead of San Dog?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the things I was most pleasantly surprised about in the airline business was the lack of memory items and reliance on reading procedures from the book. On the MD-80 series aircraft I think we have 6 or 7 EPs that have memory items. Three of those have identical immediate action from memory steps. None of the EPs have more than 4 memory items. Everything else is in our version of the PCL. We are discouraged from troubleshooting and getting out of the written procedure since the Alaska crash off SOCAL. That is why carrying some of the crap we do is nuts. Only time I pull it out is to study in cruise flight just before recurrent training. OK, maybe that is in cruise while deadheading to training. ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We have 5 EPs with memory items. 4 of those have 1 memory item each and the 5th (rapid depressuraization) has 3.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
We have 5 EPs with memory items. 4 of those have 1 memory item each and the 5th (rapid depressuraization) has 3.

I'd say keep working on it...:D;)

I know, I know...
80239_spelling_police.jpg