• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My IPAD is on the way, airline issue. Hate Apple, but have to admit I will like getting rid of 40 + lbs. of pubs I carry at work. That's right, over 40 lbs of crap. I seized up my back throwing the damn thing over my seat in the cockpit. Was out of work for nearly two weeks. I have had half dozen more minor strains over the years. Those types of injuries cost enough to justify IPADs. But wait, there is little to no cost. According to a brief from a high placed guy in my airline, Jepp charges about the same for paper as the downloaded electronic version. But the reduction of the weight of two or three guys pubs in the cockpit saves fuel. Might seem small, but it is a huge airline and the savings multiply long after the IPADs are paid for. Then there is the handling cost associated with the manual distribution of all the updates to over 6000 pilots, plus instructors. Now consider the medical and lost work costs and it is a no brainier. Damn it all. I was a proud Apple hater. Never bought a single product. Now I have one and glad to have it.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
My IPAD is on the way, airline issue. Hate Apple, but have to admit...

It's iPad. Also hating apple seems a little strange. They make the highest quality and easiest to use consumer computing products in the US. Also soon to be American made. Glad you like it, though.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's iPad. .
No kidding? Like I said, hate Apple. Don't care about their trademark product name. It is just marketing. iPAD, IPAD, Ipad, no matter, I meant to communicate not particpate in Apple's marketing. Oh wait, they could sue me!
Also hating apple seems a little strange. They make the highest quality and easiest to use consumer computing products in the US.
They make attractive products that is for sure. Easiest to use? Highest quality? There are rivals. Some in my family use Apple products and I don't, so it makes for a good side by side comparison.
Also soon to be American made. Glad you like it, though.
Happy they are moving on shore. Hope the quality and price point holds. I'll let you know how much I come to really like it. For freeing me of 40+ lbs of paper though, I'll gladly carry it regardless.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's iPad. Also hating apple seems a little strange. They make the highest quality and easiest to use consumer computing products in the US. Also soon to be American made. Glad you like it, though.
Concur. I was a Mac hater, but Mac =/= Apple. Ipads revolutionized the way my life deals with technology... in a really, really good way.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Also hating apple seems a little strange. They make the highest quality and easiest to use consumer computing products in the US. Also soon to be American made. Glad you like it, though.

No kidding? They make attractive products that is for sure. Easiest to use? Highest quality?

I must agree with wink on this. I have an iPod and hate it! I bought it just over a month ago and have had to replace it under warranty already. As for ease of use, my old SanDisk was 100% easier to use lasted 7 years and only died when it took a header from the top of the vertical of a P3in a lift. I guess the 50+ feet fall was too much. I should have bought a new SanDisk but my buddy talked me into this iPod crap. As for an iPad, I won't be buying another Apple product anytime soon.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I agree with Wink. I hate Apple although I like my iPad and iPhone. Apple is over priced and too proprietary. Only being able to put Apple approved software on iPds/iPhones via iTunes is BS too.

phrogpilot73

Mac =/= Apple
huh2.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On my company issued iPad now. Haven't down loaded charts or manuals yet. Just playing around and am still not sold yet. I am guessing using charts will be great for tired old eyes. Searching manuals a bit different. I also have 20 years of wisdom in the form of notes throughout my pubs. Surely I'll be stupid here on out.

jtmedli

pilot
On my company issued iPad now. Haven't down loaded charts or manuals yet. Just playing around and am still not sold yet. I am guessing using charts will be great for tired old eyes. Searching manuals a bit different. I also have 20 years of wisdom in the form of notes throughout my pubs. Surely I'll be stupid here on out.

The new version of the fltplan.com app is pretty good. Not to mention free. I'd reccomend it if you want charts/approach plates/AF/d info/etc...

There are some really good .pdf readers (including ones that allow you to highlight, underline, copy/paste, etc..) for use with your pubs and manuals.

jmcquate

Contributor
Sat next to a Marine plopter driver on a flight from BOS to JFK today who let me play with his Ipad with high IFR charts following the flight we were on........pretty slick.