• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea Tour

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
There are a couple things I would keep in mind...one that I NEVER see people talking about. RESEARCH. What I mean is, don't just assume all disassociated sea tours are bad (they are, IF). Research not just the job, but the LOCATION. TAO might suck...but what if you looked up the carrier and it was going into the yards for a refueling? If you HAD to do a TAO job, never deploying wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

Also, get deep into the MILPERS (or ask those who have to point you in the right direction). For now at least, if you 1x FOS, they don't want (or can't, not really sure) spend PCS money on you since they assume you will be leaving soon. Whatever orders you take now, if you end up somewhere you hate and you FOS...you may be stuck there until time to leave the Navy. OR, if you like where you are (say...Pensacola) and you 1x FOS, now you will HAVE to get a disassociated tour in Pensacola, not too shabby.

At this point you need to look at ALL the crazy off the wall things. PEP tour? Attache? Junior PMP? Hell, the Academy just wrote 3 years AD orders for a few SELRES to teach! There are some strange and good orders out there...network to find what serves YOU best!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
TAO might suck...but what if you looked up the carrier and it was going into the yards for a refueling? If you HAD to do a TAO job, never deploying wouldn't be a bad way to do it.
This is such bad gouge it's ridiculous. Just because your boat isn't going to sea doesn't mean YOU can't - so say hello to deployment, except now you're TAD to some other boat. Furthermore, being in the yards is literally worse than deployment.

The gouge about being 1xFOS and not getting PCS orders is wrong as well, as I can attest.

I agree with looking at crazy options, but stop with the bad (detailer provided) gouge.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The gouge about being 1xFOS and not getting PCS orders is wrong as well, as I can attest.

I happen to agree with ssnspoon.

MILPERSMAN 1301-108 said:
4. b. (7) The following officers do not meet retainability requirements and are not issued cost orders:
(a) Officers who will be involuntarily retired due to age or time-in-grade limitations.
(b) One-time failure of selection (FOS) officers who will be involuntarily separated if they FOS a second time.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...an/1000/1300Assignment/Documents/1301-108.pdf

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
This is such bad gouge it's ridiculous. Just because your boat isn't going to sea doesn't mean YOU can't - so say hello to deployment, except now you're TAD to some other boat. Furthermore, being in the yards is literally worse than deployment.

I agree with looking at crazy options, but stop with the bad (detailer provided) gouge.

I guess the viability of gouge is all dependent upon the experience of the person taking it. I am not passing gouge from detailers, just what has worked for me and others I personally know.

I have been lucky enough to not really have been screwed too hard during my career...mostly because I start from day one working all angles, know everything I can about the RULES vice what my superiors will try to get away with, etc. Its really hard for the Navy to bend you over when you are already balls deep in the detailer saying "take what? How's that working for you". I have said it before in many threads here, it is YOUR career so put on your big girl panties and take it! I ALWAYS have the upper hand vs the detailer...he thinks he can make me take shitty orders...fuck you, I resign, how does that taste! BTW, when you say it like that, they hang up the phone very loudly, your CO throws your orders (the ones you wanted) in your lap and gets angry, etc...but you get what you want!

robav8r

None
Contributor
I ALWAYS have the upper hand vs the detailer...he thinks he can make me take shitty orders...fuck you, I resign, how does that taste! BTW, when you say it like that, they hang up the phone very loudly, your CO throws your orders (the ones you wanted) in your lap and gets angry, etc...but you get what you want!
You clearly do not know much about Millington and you sound like a complete idiot.

LET73

Speaking as someone who's been assigned to a carrier in the yards (but not during refueling), if that's a prime assignment for an aviator doing a disassociated sea tour, I hate to think about the worst-case scenario.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
I ALWAYS have the upper hand vs the detailer...he thinks he can make me take shitty orders...fuck you, I resign, how does that taste! BTW, when you say it like that, they hang up the phone very loudly, your CO throws your orders (the ones you wanted) in your lap and gets angry, etc...but you get what you want!

This is the funniest thing I have read on this website in a decade. Thanks for the good laugh.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Uhhh... resigning takes 9 months minimum and it has to be approved by PERS. By the time your resignation gets a look, you'll be about 6 months into your new duty assignment. In our community if you give the verbal "I am going to continue my service," you will not be afforded the opportunity to resign if you get assigned something you don't like. You must resign at or near the conclusion of your orders, usually the 'near' entails an extension on your current duty. When you are issued orders, they are orders.

Do the aviation detailers let people resign significantly earlier than their PRD on their current orders?

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Obviously, as a Naval Aviator, I naturally embellish as well as details get fuzzy with age, I guess a lot of people take my comments literally, like I actually told the detailer to GFY. But, it all comes down to timing and communication. I purposefully made sure everything was stacked in my favor...so no grad ed, etc extending (even for a year) my OBLISERV. I was a free agent. Once I knew what was and wasn't going to happen with out quotas, selection status, etc I told my CO first, then told the detailer verbally of my plans to resign (about 18 months out...I just used the orders process timeline). He was notably pissed and DID slam the phone at me because he was counting on me/was being groomed for certain things...but nobody asked me what I wanted (besides my own CO). I think I submitted my paperwork at 11 months from PRD and it was accepted at 9 months, but my timeline was based on being "out of pocket" to my detailer for a specific board. Many of these timelines shift quite a bit depending on PERS type stuff. FTS used to be 12 months prior (for application) to winging commitment expiration, changed to 18 months, not sure where it is now. Just like quotas, they shift a lot based on needs of the Navy.

In the end, PERS "has to" fill jobs, they would also prefer a high "fit" rate as well.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It sounds like you are lucky that your CO likes you. I have seen COs take the opposite route...person declares that he plans to leave the military, he gets rated behind his peers who have said that they desire to continue or have kept quiet on the issue. No reason to waste an EP on a person who has declared he wants to go. Also, not calling Millington to put a good word in for your career desires, which carries quite a bit of weight as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The TRACOM is a little bit of a different animal when it comes to CO support and quitting (note: I quit, too). While you may still get down-rated, it's not the end of the world that it can be other places.

I can see both sides of this... I've managed to leverage PERS in my favor for 4/6 tours. I had front office help for the fifth one and still didn't get exactly what I was asking for, but still did pretty well. The last PCS was in part because I wouldn't let stuff drop and I knew my detailer(s) personally, and as it turned out, I got a good deal. So I can see Spoon's logic.

Then again, to think you have a handle on PERS en-toto is probably not realistic, as I just happened to be very lucky to get my last set of orders, mostly due to timing (and again, because the people knew me and it benefited them).