• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea Tour

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
...a disassociated sea tour is not the right track for me.

I know you have been on a college campus for the last couple of years and thus away from the rest of the aviation community, but your statement comes off sounding very naive.

If you are concerned about being passed over for O4 twice, that ship has already sailed (pun intended). Even if you were a #1 EP in your fleet tour, you will not be competitive with your ROTC Fitrep. In fact, your only chance of being competitive for your O4 board is to go to back to sea and break out of a very large peer group. Something you have stated that you don't want to do.

So, to surmise your situation: you want to stay in the USN, make O-4 and not do a 2nd sea tour.

That sounds like a great plan..... Unfortunately, you won't make O4 unless you go on a 2nd sea tour. Since you can't stay in the USN without making O4, you will get the boot and have to leave the USN.

So do you see how the rest of us chuckle when we read your posts?

Good luck. I think you are about to get a serious reality check from your detailer.

robav8r

None
Contributor
If you "have" to do a dissaccociated sea tour, there are a few that are better then others. I was a shooter and enjoyed it. No, I didn't always enjoy being away from home, babysitting the folks in Air Department and all the other stuff that comes with it. Also, there are many, many folks who are upset & bitter about recent promotion results and decreasing career opportunities. I don't blame them. But as someone that has the benefit of a fairly long career so far, the landscape can change pretty fast. What the horizon will look like in 3 to 5 years is anyone's guess. Ultimately, do what you want and what is good for your family - you'll be happier and will do a better job.

NavyTerp06

I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your candor as opposed to the previous post. I would also like to determine if there is a billet for a 1310, at sea, that involves maybe working with intel.

I am trying to utilize this thread as an information gathering and discussion board. I have never claimed to know everything with regards to this topic, but I am trying to set myself with the distinct possibility of getting out in 3 years from now. If that's the case, I fail to see how a disassociated is going to be beneficial.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair, I think the OP is trying to find something that will facilitate an intel flavored designator change, not game the system somehow to avoid a normal disassociated tour.

NavyTerp06

To be fair, I think the OP is trying to find something that will facilitate an intel flavored designator change, not game the system somehow to avoid a normal disassociated tour.

You nailed it. I should have been more specific after I was informed I wouldn't be competitive for some of the billets I mentioned in my initial post.

Not trying to dodge anything at sea. I never intended to give off the appearance that I was trying to weasel my way off sea duty. If ONI or DTRA worked out and they sent me out somewhere for 9 months out of the year. It is what it is. If it's a billet at sea, I understand.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
You might consider one of the fleet staffs (C7F/C5F). You will get a chance to interact with the intel community. If perform well you could get a recommendation from the N2 or the Admiral which would carry some weight at a lat transfer board. If your timing is good, you could breakout in a larger peer group. Certain jobs require a TS/SCI.

The issue will be timing. A few years ago, certain communities were not releasing anybody for lat transfer before your first look at the ADHSB and you could not apply to lat transfer as a 1xFOS. Maybe with reduced O-4 screen rates your community will be more willing to release you to the lat transfer board before the O-4 board.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Ask the detailer for the sea and shore high priority fill list. This is how I got a sweet (though non flying) joint gig after my JO shore tour, it was a high priority fill that nobody had jumped on for some reason. I did make O4, but times have changed and I'd never have made it today by taking that tour. It was fun though and i lived in a cool location for 3.5yrs.

If you stay active duty, you're highly unlikely to pick up O4. However, if you get booted at 12yrs as a LT, you'll get a nice severance package and you can move on with your life.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Anyone have experience as a DESRON helo rep (LEC)? I remember the guy on the CSG 5 desron (13?) staff had plenty of time to read while on the boat and seemed to work business hours (probably had TAO/SUWC watches). Of course, he was an expeditionary HSC guy and hadn't done ASW in his life. Your dipping experience might be sought after. Downside is you work through a SWO O-6, not directly on the CSG staff. In Japan, the CVW HEC did all the heavy lifting with helo ops coordination, but it may be different stateside.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Another way, get onto FLTMPS and search all of the billets for 1310 that have a PRD around your time frame. Make the window open from a month or two before and three months after. Call your detailer and ask to take a billete that seems interesting to you.

mountainman

To the original poster, how many of the guys at your ROTC unit are being forced to do disassociated sea tours even if they signaled their intentions of wanting to get out? I'm curious because I've thought of taking ROTC orders but if I'm being held to the full commitment regardless of being picked up for 0-4 I'd like to stay in the cockpit for as long as possible at the FRS or VT's for a shore tour.

IRfly

None
Another dose of realism...
For most aviators, especially 1310-types, you won't be eligible for lateral transfer, either due to your initial commitment or lack of an out-quota, until after you have already 1xFOS'd for O-4.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Another dose of realism...
For most aviators, especially 1310-types, you won't be eligible for lateral transfer, either due to your initial commitment or lack of an out-quota, until after you have already 1xFOS'd for O-4.
That is very much the ugly truth. Pers has boat billets to fill and they're not going to let you out of your commitment because you just got your MBA and you want out now*.

*ive seen some guys who 1xFOS on shore duty stay on shore but it took some wrangling and came with a declining fitrep if you didn't change commands. I also know of a guy who sent a letter of intention to PERS and they let him extend on shore but he would've had less than a year at sea. Then big navy promoted him to O-4.

HsC bubba

Look into jobs in the Foreign Military Sales divisions. You can work at Embassy's you will be near DIA folks in the DAO billets. Makes for possible FAO or Intel in the future. There are several jobs with 2 star bosses which makes my Disassociated tour not too negative (prob a neutral job due to the O-8 signing the fitrep).