• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea-Tour

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes, but for better or worse the Navy is not training you to be a pilot with 20 years experience. It is training you to be a Commanding Officer and Admiral.

1rotorhead

pilot
So being the safety officer/ mini-boss on an amphib helps me do that? I have a bunch of friends who are in their tour who would disagree.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So being the safety officer/ mini-boss on an amphib helps me do that? I have a bunch of friends who are in their tour who would disagree.

Then they are narrow minded and short sighted. If they didn't take full advantage of being part of ship's company to learn all they could about surface warfare and amphibious operations then they wasted their time and just "punched the ticket."

hscs

pilot

I am right with rotorhead. Explain to me how a tour as a DivO on a ship makes me a better officer. It's not like you didn't have a chance to be a Divo in your squadron. Let's face it -- this was sold to the aviation community years ago as a "good deal" because the shoes couldn't fill their billets. That's how we got involved. They have started to take a bunch of those billets back. For those that have drank the cool aid -- they are in knife fights to get those billets.

The only billets that are truly going to broaden you are the staff jobs, being an aide, or working in some sort of Joint job. Unfortunately, there aren't too many joint jobs around. I hate to say this, but you will get a lot more "broadening" out of a 3 month IA in Qatar in the CAOC than you would during a 2 year ship tour.

What is more absurd -- is that one of the board "tiebrakers" on our record is the OOD letter. Never mind that an OOD letter is like making HAC in the other two branches of service.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Neither of my skippers did a disassociated seat tour, and I know for a fact there are CAG's who didn't. Seems like a wast of money to send pilots to do the job. Think about it: In the first 10 years of your career, a typical pilot will only spend 3 years flying in the fleet. Not a lot of value for the money spent training us.

My last couple of skippers never left the cockpit as well. Two of them had over 5000 flight hours. However, the Navy is moving away from that concept. What Brett said really rings true. I'm already seeing it, with at least one O-4 I know not making O-5 for not leaving the cockpit.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I once heard that if you manage to get your OOD qual as a JO you dont have to do a Dis. Sea tour. I also heard that you dis. sea tour basically ends right after you get your OOD qual, so the harder you work at it the sooner its over.
Is there any truth to either of these statements?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I once heard that if you manage to get your OOD qual as a JO you dont have to do a Dis. Sea tour. I also heard that you dis. sea tour basically ends right after you get your OOD qual, so the harder you work at it the sooner its over.
No

1rotorhead

pilot

You're funny.

1rotorhead

pilot
Then they are narrow minded and short sighted. If they didn't take full advantage of being part of ship's company to learn all they could about surface warfare and amphibious operations then they wasted their time and just "punched the ticket."

What did you do for your disassociated tour?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
The stud gets it right over some of the saltier, more bitter guys. ;)

It's not about VP guys going to sea, or punishment for aviators, people, and it's not about driving boats either. Breadth of experience. Having spent time on on a CAG or CSSG admiral's staff gets you in tune with the bigger picture, making you a better aviator, DH and CO. In my experience, one of the biggest differences between a JO who "gets it" and one who doesn't, is an ability to see and appreciate the bigger picture issues which drive policy and the things we do.

Brett

Yeah, but I don't know how many Skippers/XOs in the VFA community aren't patch-wearers. It's kind of a weird paradox... being an SFTI is almost mandatory for higher promotion... but yet if you do that, you skip the dissociated sea tour for a TrainingO tour. And the dissociated tour is meant to "broaden your horizons" for when you become an O-5/O-6?? :confused: :confused:

MasterBates

The SWTI mafia is starting to roll in for CO/XO tours here as well. It is the "new hotness" for making CO in LAMPS.

But, we have a great DH screen rate, and a crappy DH to CO screen rate.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are cases in each platform for people that will not have a Disassociated Sea Tour. I will not have one because of being a Super JO Viking to COD transition guy. I know also know guys that went from shore tour to DH tour but that was because of the T-Notch. Like was said earlier, a bunch of the shipboard jobs are being taken back from the aviators too. I know that some CVN's are putting Master Chiefs into jobs like Hangar Deck O, etc.

On the flip side, everyone I have ever met who did a shooter tour said it was the most rewarding tour they ever had.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is like the IA thread all over. A bunch of people don't want to do it, so they ***** about not wanting to do it. There's a bunch of reasoning on why they shouldn't have to do it (and some of it makes a lot of sense), but guess what, in the end, many communities have to do it.

On the flip side, everyone I have ever met who did a shooter tour said it was the most rewarding tour they ever had.

Bingo. I've heard the same thing. It's not something I really want to do, but I bet I'd get a lot out of it. I equate this to my own small little world. I didn't really want to be a Det Maint. O. Way too much responsibility and lots of work, especially for someone who is primarily "only a pilot." In the end, I absolutely revel in the experience. There was a lot about it that sucked (mostly just due to a local set of problems), but I got so much out of it. Oh, and this "pilot," still managed to get his hour milestones and get the quals. Okay, enough w/ the soapbox.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Do aviators ever get their SWO pin? I thought I remembered reading a story about an admiral that was the first to ever earn three warfare pins, I could have been mistaken though.