• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea-Tour

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Shouting at the rain... I like that.

And guess what -- we need O4s to lead missions.

Actually, we don't need them, that's why there are now DH screens. But I think I know what you meant. Also, there seems to be a fine line between agreeing/disagreeing w/ the status quo, but knowing you can't do much about it at this moment in time, or just complaining that "it sucks" and go off in a huff. Hscs, your last post strikes me more as the prior rather than the latter, And discussion, vice whining, can be good.

It's also interesting that here I am, "drinking the Kool-Aid," yet if you knew me, you'd know I'm anti-Kool-Aid. Even "diabetic," if you will.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm guessing the disasociated tour isnt as much fun as being a FAC but it is more comfortable. Honestly it made me a better attack pilot and FAC(A).
As for O4s leading missions, that is all I have now-I will never get to be a Capt in a gun squadron again.

hscs

pilot
Yes, being out of the cockpit can be a good thing. Like Skidkid said -- his job made him better as a pilot while broadening him. There are too many jobs out there in the Navy -- ones that I have already mentioned -- that do nothing to expand both your aviation and officer horizons (unless, you really want to know what the shoes do during the wind hunting circle maneuver). A Divo on a ship does the same thing as you would do in a squadron -- so I don't consider that broadening, unless you are working in CDC or Air Ops. Many of the jobs that I have mentioned were taken on by the aviation community due to manning problems in the SWO community. The OOD thing was added as a carrot. You can broaden both horizons by sending guys to staffs or IAs to the various command centers around the world. Working for the CFACC or as an air LNO to a SOF/ground unit would build big picture understanding without totally taking you out of an aviation mindset. Those that lose that mindset are a detriment when they return to the squadron, as they have to build up confidence in both their piloting skills and mission skills. I have often seen these types as needing so much extra time, as to take away from training JOs. In short, they lower the readiness of a squadron.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
... without totally taking you out of an aviation mindset. Those that lose that mindset are a detriment when they return to the squadron, as they have to build up confidence in both their piloting skills and mission skills. I have often seen these types as needing so much extra time, as to take away from training JOs. In short, they lower the readiness of a squadron.

Sometimes you need to get out of the aviation mindset to see the big picture. If a pilot needs excessive training to be of any use coming off a couple of year out-of-cockpit tour, he might not be that good to begin with. It's a lot like riding a bike, assuming that you had a good experience base before you left the cockpit. I'm just finished my RAG refresh and am still getting back up to speed, but the basics are still the basics and the more advanced tactics take constant replentishment anyway. It really shouldn't be that high of an impact to the squadron.

My input to this is only as valid as the comparision between disassociated sea tours and FAC/AO tours are, but I think that the general idea is about the same.

1rotorhead

pilot
I can see how being a FAC relates to flying snakes. Makes plenty of sense. Unfortunately, the majority of jobs for navy bubbas have absolutely no relation to flying.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
So if you're trying to avoid the big boat like the plague, as long as the unit is deployable does it count? Like a RIVRON unit or something like that? I like small boats, not big ones. I know being a FAC/JTAC is super rare Navy side vs Marine Side but I've heard it's possible.