• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

direct commission

treblisreyd

I have 19 good years of enlisted service, and have applied for DCO. If selected, how long can I serve as a commissioned officer?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have 19 good years of enlisted service, and have applied for DCO. If selected, how long can I serve as a commissioned officer?

HYT and max age would be your limitations, with a few exceptions age 62 is the max age for most in the military.

treblisreyd

The board will convene and make selections before those circumstances occur. I have also been granted a HYT waiver and I'm eligible for Chief. After the exam in February, Chief selectees will be announced in the latter part of the year. Otherwise, I would hit my retirement max at 20 years at the end of the year. I could go either way if selected.
Primarily, I'm trying to find out if there's an instruction that specifically covers enlisted to officer time served vs time to serve if selected. My captain who is providing my write-up wants to indicate whether I can have a solid long term career as an officer. I can't nail down that particular answer in BUPERSINST 1001.39 or OPNAVINST 1420.1B. Can anyone nail down this specific question?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The board will convene and make selections before those circumstances occur. I have also been granted a HYT waiver and I'm eligible for Chief.

Officers have HYT too, that is what I was referring to. After that the main limitation is the max age, which is not a factor for most but could be for you.

Primarily, I'm trying to find out if there's an instruction that specifically covers enlisted to officer time served vs time to serve if selected. My captain who is providing my write-up wants to indicate whether I can have a solid long term career as an officer. I can't nail down that particular answer in BUPERSINST 1001.39 or OPNAVINST 1420.1B. Can anyone nail down this specific question?

Depends on what he thinks is a 'solid long-term career', your age would be the limiting factor so however many years you have until 62 is how long your career can go.

treblisreyd

I'm 43. I initially applied at 41, and my original package was not rejected, but advanced to the next board. So, I remained under consideration until now. However, due to my prior service, most instructions I've read states that I can apply up to age 50 (w/prior enlisted). Nevertheless, my recruiter doesn't believe that my age will make a difference at this time, but will see if I'll need a waiver. If selected, It'll be plenty of time before 62

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A solid long career in this instance is around 10+years - not wasting Navy's time and money

As long as you make it to LT, and it takes work not to, you will likely be able to make it to 10 years just fine.

treblisreyd

Yea. I figure I could make LT in about 4 years based on several articles I read - 18 months to JG and 2 years to LT. Everything after will require some work due to the varies boards. So, I imagine there isn't a direct answer to that puzzle (instructions etc)? What I stated was that the clock probably resets w/commission for the basic 8 year term/ requirement, and the prior service is just a bonus for selection. I dunno, I guess we'll see.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

The most I’ve ever seen with years of service selected for a commission was 15 years.

Your TIS might sink you. At least you’re close to retirement eligible on the enlisted side.

treblisreyd

The most I’ve ever seen with years of service selected for a commission was 15 years.

Your TIS might sink you. At least you’re close to retirement eligible on the enlisted side.
I understand that, but within that 19 years I've accumulated a mass of accolades and awards that have allowed me to shine (consecutive nosc jsoy, GLS SOQ, several logistics military Certs (incl. Master LSR), pursuing DAWIA Contracting courses, sejpme, pme (currently completing), 3 NAMs, AAM, 2 MOBS, 220+ funeral honors, overseas volunteer missions, consecutive excellent/ outstanding PFAs, PMP, LPO twice, Masters degree, SCW, currently a Logistics Manager etc. If I'm not what they're looking for due to 4 more years, then oh well, but I believe I'm qualified. In addition, I was advanced to this board.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Yea. I figure I could make LT in about 4 years based on several articles I read - 18 months to JG and 2 years to LT. Everything after will require some work due to the varies boards. So, I imagine there isn't a direct answer to that puzzle (instructions etc)? What I stated was that the clock probably resets w/commission for the basic 8 year term/ requirement, and the prior service is just a bonus for selection. I dunno, I guess we'll see.

I believe it is 2 years from the date of your commission to pin JG, then it another 2 years to LT.

Also, I believe what @RUFiO181 said is accurate, your TIS may be your biggest roadblock. Based on your last post I take it you're an LS1? If you're going to SUPPLY then you are spending nearly the first 2 years completely BQC. I think the Navy may believe there is a risk of someone getting a commission, attending school then retiring without the Navy getting a return on their DCO investment.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Please see flow points, below.

You will hit mandatory retirement at age 62 per Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 14509, 14703, 12308.

You will also get kicked out at 28 years of commissioned service which also gets some people. Because of my age, I can stay in the Reserve as an O4 until I reach 62 ?

If you 2XFOS for O4 you will be ADSEP'd but can request a Continuation Board. I know at least two people (both 1835's) who have been ADSEP'd from the Reserve because they did not make O4 after their second try.

Best way to track all this this is with a spreadsheet (See attached). Download. In B2 enter your commission date (YYYY-MM-DD). Then, drag that value down to B30 so that B3, B4, etc. increment by one year. Enter your age in D2 and drag that value down to D30. In E2 enter your current total years of qualifying service as of your commissioning date. Drag that value down to E30. After this, adjust the yellow row at row 30 and instead highlight the row where you are 62.

This will give you an idea of how old you will be at certain time frames as well as when you will be eligible for promotion to O4.

I took a swag at your age and assumed you will get commissioned in 2020. Based on those, I filled in the spreadsheet for you as a good swag. The only thing that will change is your commission date for O3/LT. Mine changed by a month or so, but this is still good swag.

Looks like you will hit ~25 years of commissioned service before mando retirement at 62.

Attachments

• flow_point.xlsx
    83.9 KB · Views: 11

treblisreyd

I believe it is 2 years from the date of your commission to pin JG, then it another 2 years to LT.

Also, I believe what @RUFiO181 said is accurate, your TIS may be your biggest roadblock. Based on your last post I take it you're an LS1? If you're going to SUPPLY then you are spending nearly the first 2 years completely BQC. I think the Navy may believe there is a risk of someone getting a commission, attending school then retiring without the Navy getting a return on their DCO investment.
Right. That seemed to have been the same concern for my Captain. So, he wanted to clarify to the board that I'm worth the risk, as I'm capable of fulfilling more than just the minimum 4+ years to make it to LT. He would reiterate that I'm in for the long haul of 10+ years - which I am legitimately (considering I'm advancing and not hitting tenure for LCDR). He believes I'm capable based on his experience with me serving as his LPO. Is there a specific Navy instruction that outlines this limitation-time allowed to serve? Is it that I am able to do at least the minimum 8 years per OPNAVINST 1001.39 Sec. MSO?

Goodfou

I understand that, but within that 19 years I've accumulated a mass of accolades and awards that have allowed me to shine (consecutive nosc jsoy, GLS SOQ, several logistics military Certs (incl. Master LSR), pursuing DAWIA Contracting courses, sejpme, pme (currently completing), 3 NAMs, AAM, 2 MOBS, 220+ funeral honors, overseas volunteer missions, consecutive excellent/ outstanding PFAs, PMP, LPO twice, Masters degree, SCW, currently a Logistics Manager etc. If I'm not what they're looking for due to 4 more years, then oh well, but I believe I'm qualified. In addition, I was advanced to this board.

Your resume looks impressive. However, my question is why have you not been selected for CPO? You don’t need to answer this-it is something to think about because the board may wonder the same thing. Is there something in your record you are not devulging? Also, what is your GPA for your bachelor’s and master’s degrees?

I know this isn’t the reason you started the thread, but gauge your expectations. It is easy to think we are the greatest thing since sliced bread when we are LPO, get MAP’d/CAP’d, SOQ, JSOYs. I thought the same thing. Now that I’m on the other side, I realize those things don’t hold as much weight as you would think. Realize, you are competing with civilians who are in key positions in their respective professions. For example, one of the DCOs in my class worked directly for the Dallas Fed president, had an MBA from Standford, was a consultant with one of the big name firms, and is now a senior advisor to one of POTUS cabinet members.

-Cheers

treblisreyd

Your resume looks impressive. However, my question is why have you not been selected for CPO? You don’t need to answer this-it is something to think about because the board may wonder the same thing. Is there something in your record you are not devulging? Also, what is your GPA for your bachelor’s and master’s degrees?

I know this isn’t the reason you started the thread, but gauge your expectations. It is easy to think we are the greatest thing since sliced bread when we are LPO, get MAP’d/CAP’d, SOQ, JSOYs. I thought the same thing. Now that I’m on the other side, I realize those things don’t hold as much weight as you would think. Realize, you are competing with civilians who are in key positions in their respective professions. For example, one of the DCOs in my class worked directly for the Dallas Fed president, had an MBA from Standford, was a consultant with one of the big name firms, and is now a senior advisor to one of POTUS cabinet members.

-Cheers
You make a very good point. I know the competition is ridiculous that's why I was beating the pavement so hard on the enlisted side. I had some challenges with the bachelor's with an institutional 2.7, but went back for my masters (M.Ed) and received 4.0.

On the civilian side, I also received good referrals from both Chiefs in my Department as a contractor for the Air Force. I have some credibility, but I do acknowledge that the competition is ridiculous.

You're right. I really was trying to answer my Captain's question initially, but I appreciate all feedback. I'm also beginning to settle on the fact that there probably isn't a direct answer to my question as it would have been answered already. I'll rest on the idea that the clock resets upon commission for 8 years considering attrition and tenure rules don't force my retirement.