• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dilemma

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Ladies and Gentleman,
Here is the story. I received an e-mail today stating,
Our headquarters has directed us to ask if you will consider the following programs, as the pilot program WILL NOT be recommended at this time:

Naval Flight Officer (NFO) 13700
Surface Warfare Officer (SWO) 11600

If you agree to the change, we will need something in writing (email/ltr etc) and will need this ASAP!!!”

So I contacted the gentleman on the e-mail, who I found out is the senior processor for my NRD. Apparently the September boards are meeting very soon and need this e-mail within the next day or two at the latest. My goal when joining the Navy was to get as close to flying as possible when I enlisted in 2000, thus, I became an IFT on P-3's. I departed the Navy in 2005 so I could gain my degree quicker (in my opinion) to become a pilot.
The senior processor said I could fight it and try to get a waiver but the chances are pretty small. The issue is my age. I am currently 28 and will turn 29 in February. I understand you could transfer later on in your career to try and become a pilot or you could possibly gain a pilot spot out of API or Primary can’t remember which so if you could correct me I would appreciate it. I understand the lateral transfer doesn’t happen that often. Is there an age restriction with this as well? If so, is it the same as the OCS requirement at 29? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I will have to make this decision very quickly. Thank you all in advance.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I never understood why you can be older for SNFO. Why wouldn't they be the same? Man, I don't know what I'd do in your situation. Rock and a hard place...from what I've learned elsewhere, in order to even have the option to transfer to pilot training you have to meet the age requirements. So, since you would probably take 1.5 years to get through NFO training, that would be difficult to manage after you finished your training. If you were one of the lucky ones that transferred to pilot during nfo training, then, you'd be gold but neither is something you can count on.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Yea... After asking for advice I have been looking at other posts concerning this topic. But you're right... ROCK AND A HARD PLACE... Currently I have people looking into this for me to see if there are any strings that can be pulled. But I'm not expecting anything. I've pretty much made my decision about this beforehand because I was anticipating this to happen. Thanks Navy for teaching me to prepare for the worst and hope for the best! Thanks for the advice and if anyone else is willing to talk about this or what they would do I am all ears!

Thanks Crafting.

Renegade One

None
Both the new COMNAVAIRFOR and myself (both NFOs) think your choice of the two options offered you should be obvious. Go forth and get into Naval Aviation!

V/R, Spike

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Both the new COMNAVAIRFOR and myself (both NFOs) think your choice of the two options offered you should be obvious. Go forth and get into Naval Aviation!

V/R, Spike

Pretty much what I was thinking but I will wait and see if we can get some strings pulled. Thank you very much Sir! Tell the new COMNAVAIRFOR the same!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Go NFO man.. you'd still be living the dream... Being prior enlisted myself I'm putting down NFO and SNA.. I'd be happy to get either of the two.. and after getting an aerobatic ride sometimes I feel being an NFO might be more for me.. Regardless whatever is meant to be is already gonna happen just go with the flow.. If you were meant to be a pilot you would have been selected for it.. Instead you were selected for NFO and still will be the next best thing to the closest thing in aviation. Congrats man either way and good luck my friend...

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Nothing worse in the world (ok... maybe) than a double anchor with single anchor envy, BUT I agree... go FLY, be FLOWN... whatever. The FO to pilot thing can be a real crap shoot. Bird in the hand you know...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Go NFO man.. you'd still be living the dream... Being prior enlisted myself I'm putting down NFO and SNA.. I'd be happy to get either of the two.. and after getting an aerobatic ride sometimes I feel being an NFO might be more for me.. Regardless whatever is meant to be is already gonna happen just go with the flow.. If you were meant to be a pilot you would have been selected for it.. Instead you were selected for NFO and still will be the next best thing to the closest thing in aviation. Congrats man either way and good luck my friend...

Thanks boss. However, I wasn't selected for anything. I was asked to put NFO on my application for this months boards as well. Basically they stated I wouldn't be selected for pilot due to my age (I'm currently 28 1/2).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Nothing worse in the world (ok... maybe) than a double anchor with single anchor envy, BUT I agree... go FLY, be FLOWN... whatever. The FO to pilot thing can be a real crap shoot. Bird in the hand you know...

I realized I was close on the age when I submitted. I have always had NFO as an option next to NA but I was trying to give myself a shot strictly at NA. I had a nice post drawn up explaining why but an internet glitch later and it was gone.

I thought you had to fall within pilot guidelines to try the lateral transfer as well. Such as you have to be under 29 is this correct?

red_ryder

None
Put down pilot anyway. What else are you going to apply to other than NFO? Supply? Ha!

One thing I've learned over the years is, just because someone tells you that you can't do something, doesn't mean you can't.

And in this case, you have nothing to lose by it.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
One thing I've learned over the years is, just because someone tells you that you can't do something, doesn't mean you can't.

And in this case, you have nothing to lose by it.

I have some people looking into things for me right now because of this statement. I have pilot down already and that was my only choice. I will be adding NFO more than likely. I have until Wednesday to make the addition. Thanks for the advice.

red_ryder

None
Yeah, you bet.

If it helps, I had pilot as my first choice and got NFO, and my disappointment only lasted like two days. I haven't looked back since, it's still consistently one of the best decisions I ever made.

Even if you still really wanted to be pilot, you have some chance of transitioning from NFO, and very little if you get neither...so this is probably your best tactical option. :)

Good luck!

rdjarvis

So there is going to be an Aviator Board this month? Im still waiting for results from July. SNA/NFO

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
If it helps, I had pilot as my first choice and got NFO, and my disappointment only lasted like two days. I haven't looked back since, it's still consistently one of the best decisions I ever made.

Sound advice. All the amazing people supporting me throughout this process has stated the same thing. I can't help to think if I didn't have such an amazing group of men and women that I served with I believe this decision would have been much more difficult. I can't even tell them how much I value their advice and appreciate all the assitance they have given me. Many individuals on this forum are the same way. Thank you. I truly appreciate it!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
So there is going to be an Aviator Board this month? Im still waiting for results from July. SNA/NFO

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a NA/NFO board in July. From my understanding and discussions with certain people there will be a board this month. Thus, I need to have my decision in by Wed. Good Luck!